Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2010 and 2011 Assessments

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Well its isn't us or so I'm told

    Comment


    • #32
      No it is the Westies providing this year.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

      "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

      Comment


      • #33
        I'll be there, should be some fun in the sun with some guns!

        Comment


        • #34
          On Friday night, mainly dry conditions will develop but a good deal of cloud will persist as winds back southeast to east, fresh to strong. Saturday will continue mainly dry but quite breezy and probably rather cloudy; eastern and southern coasts will feel cool owing to the wind but it will be rather mild elsewhere, especially in any sunshine.
          Quote from Met Eireann

          Comment


          • #35
            Ill be there and from the op ord ive managed to glimpse it looks like (as usual) majority of whats left of the decimated 65th will be up to their moobs in dogsbody work instead of concentrating on the infantry work... will be hard pushed for our Btn to put out a platoon... terrible... believe im going to lug a SINCGARS around for someone elses use... how upsetting as id rather be at the leading edge of the broom in a section :(
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by morpheus View Post
              Ill be there and from the op ord ive managed to glimpse it looks like (as usual) majority of whats left of the decimated 65th will be up to their moobs in dogsbody work instead of concentrating on the infantry work... will be hard pushed for our Btn to put out a platoon... terrible... believe im going to lug a SINCGARS around for someone elses use... how upsetting as id rather be at the leading edge of the broom in a section :(
              I think the point you raised about a bn struggling to raise a pln will be replecated across the board. I've spent the past 3 days trying to organise the pln from our bn. You know this shite cant go on when 5 coys struggle to put a pln on the ground with 48 hrs worth of kit and a lack of decent personnel. I had an nco ask a colleague what an ORBATT was!!??
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

              Comment


              • #37
                My Bn is the same, despite weeks of screaming out for bods and offerings of a paid weekend, we can't field a full Pln yet. Shocking carry on!

                Comment


                • #38
                  This, I believe, is why its called an assessment, although I think the powers that be did not intend it be measured in this fashion.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

                  "No, they're trying to fly the tank"

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    So long as those in charge see the difficulties units seem to be having in raising a platoon then the current problems in the RDF might be addressed. The idea that a battalion cant find the numbers required is not too surprising given peoples experiences to date as related here. Are 2* still banned or will they be used to fill out numbers as normally happens?

                    From my own exp with the assessments i got the impression that some of the problems with finding bodies, getting kit etc were either ignored or overlooked by those in charge. Hopefully that has changed.

                    One question tho, does it still get treated as a chance for a mighty piss up as in previous years ??
                    Anyone need a spleen ?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by ollie View Post
                      So long as those in charge see the difficulties units seem to be having in raising a platoon then the current problems in the RDF might be addressed. The idea that a battalion cant find the numbers required is not too surprising given peoples experiences to date as related here. Are 2* still banned or will they be used to fill out numbers as normally happens?

                      From my own exp with the assessments i got the impression that some of the problems with finding bodies, getting kit etc were either ignored or overlooked by those in charge. Hopefully that has changed.

                      One question tho, does it still get treated as a chance for a mighty piss up as in previous years ??
                      I doubt the difficulties are paid much attention given these assessments have been going on for what 3-4 yeas now? The same issues that existed then, exist now.

                      Here's a brief of our saga.

                      Sister Coy was originally tasked with providing bodies for assessment pln. A PDF ex came up that required RDF to perform duties so questionable decisions came into play and that sub-unit took the weeks paid duties.

                      The job of providing bodies for assessment pln was then off loaded to our Coy early Sept.

                      We provided 80% of the Assessment pln last year.

                      Long story short, this year our Coy can only provide 35%. The rest of the bods are coming from all the other Coys in our Bn.

                      As of today, no complete sleeping systems are available to over half the pln, with many not having been issued CEFO let alone CEMO yet. Excuses being given for that nugget range from "Sure you know how it goes - they just disappear" or "Sure they don't need it till Friday"

                      Contact details of all bodies were only compiled completely as of this week. Some have said they dont have any email addresses.

                      Transport is still very much a Grey area. (read unconfirmed)

                      Top it off with some NCO's who last did a PIA in the 60's and most of the pln unable to run half a mile without kit and ready to collapse at the end of it.


                      To ask these to perform Patrolling, contact drills, PIA, SIA, Night nav, admin in the field, Comms, Fieldcraft, Offensive Ops, Ambushes etc is going to be interesting to say the least.
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        We had no problems getting our guys and gals to volunteer even before it was advised as paid. Hope the weather stays good. Only major issue we have to resolve is how to watch the match on Friday night. When you have to call home just be aware that mobile phone coverage is rather patchy, Vodafone works OK, but other networks not too good.
                        Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Quote from Met Eireann
                          and you believe that???
                          Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                          I think the point you raised about a bn struggling to raise a pln will be replecated across the board.
                          i thought it was a pln per Bde?
                          So between 65 and 62 should they not just be forming 1 coy?

                          I had an nco ask a colleague what an ORBATT was!!??
                          atleast they asked.

                          Originally posted by ollie View Post
                          The idea that a battalion cant find the numbers required is not too surprising given peoples experiences to date as related here.
                          or shows that they bns in name only.

                          One question tho, does it still get treated as a chance for a mighty piss up as in previous years ??
                          What piss up.
                          AFAIK it's a dry weekend???
                          Without supplies no army is brave.

                          —Frederick the Great,

                          Instructions to his Generals, 1747

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Is that not exactly whats wrong with the RDF as a whole Zulu ? this "we ll muddle through " mentality is going to kill it. Year after year if the same issues keep cropping up then no one is doing something about it. Pulling bodies from everywhere to make up a platoon and using NCO's who dont know what to do might be enough to show heads on the ground but if they cant operate as a unit or keep going then it has to be noted and action taken.

                            Sadly i ve been there and seen things fall apart because of poor training/fitness at all ranks yet nothing was said or done about it. As the saying goes "same s**t different year"
                            Anyone need a spleen ?

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              @ Luchi , my last assessments was 2 years ago and it was a pure session, canteen was packed and when it closed everyone either headed into Baltinglass or fentons, there was even a session in one of the trucks. No saint myself, but i did find it all a bit ott.
                              Anyone need a spleen ?

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                                I had an nco ask a colleague what an ORBATT was!!??
                                Seriously?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X