No announcement yet.

New blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before I get word that I am actually a candidate?
    When does the competition Close?

If you are selected as a candidate for aptitude testing it will be after the competition closes.

Assuming you pass the aptitude test you move onto the next phase.

patience young jedi...
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Shaz View Post
      Hey guys as mist if you know I've signed up for the DF a while ago and am just curious what happens after the application is sent off?

How long before I get word that I am actually a candidate?

How long before testing starts?

How long before I am in training after initial tests?

I'm not being impatient, I would just like to know so I can plan around work and holidays.
      Have you applied for cadets or general service enlistment?

Comment

Competition closes 20th sept. I've applied for general service.
        Incoming fire has the right of way.

Comment

General Service Fitness Test

Do people here reckon that they'l call everyone who meets the basic requirements; age etc. To do the fitness tests? Cause there must be a few thousand applying for each brigade.

Comment

Here's a good military-orientated fitness guide. I've used it, and it does what it says on the tin.

It's a good, very well structured combination of attainable targets, all-round fitness, and variety each day (rather than just another boring run). I paticularly like the way that it gives a day by day guide for each week that concentrate on how long rather than how far, and saves the targets for the tests every three weeks to see if you can move on to the next level.

It may appear quite basic at first glance, but don't underestimate it - it works!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Marine.../dp/0091776996
            Last edited by Flamingo; 6 September 2010, 12:16.
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

You won't hear anything before closing date,,,sit tight
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Competition closes 20th sept. I've applied for general service.
                Also depends on which brigade

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  You won't hear anything before closing date,,,sit tight
                  Or nothing if you didn't apply for the Bdes that are recruiting.. East/South and NS.

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                    Or nothing if you didn't apply for the Bdes that are recruiting.. East/South and NS.

NS closing date was 14 June

East, South, West and DFTC closing date is 20 Sept

Comment

On a side note : A few of my mates have also signed up, is there a good chance that we would be attained together? Also can my application be pushes aside by some pencil pusher before I even get to prove myself in the fitness/medical/interview ?

Comment

On a side note : A few of my mates have also signed up, is there a good chance that we would be attained together? Also can my application be pushes aside by some pencil pusher before I even get to prove myself in the fitness/medical/interview ?
                        Attested together I presume you mean?

If you pass all stages and all get a place (and have applied to the same brigade) you will train together.... but with the amount of people who will apply the odds are not in your favour.

From reading military.ie it looks like the fitness test is first, so this is probably what will happen when applications close:

a) Competitions section/Bde Manpower Officer looks at all applications, if for example someone answers no to will you allow yourself to be vetted by Gardai or you don't have a work permit, or you are over/under age = bin (say that is 5-10% of applications (you'd be surprised how many people can't answer yes/no answers correctly)

b) Everyone who is left will be called for fitness test (probably at least another 10% will fail or not turn up)

c) Medical a large percentage of people will fail the audiogram (hearing test) or eyesight test (I know of a good few people that found out that they need glasses through the DF eyesight test), they may not necessarily be given a chance to repeat. There will also be chest x-rays, bloods etc (they may lose another 10-15% either through failure or not turning up)

d) then the interview

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          With regard to promotion, we you sign the contract you sign for 5 years (extendable to 12 years).

For most you can only serve beyond that if you are promoted to Corporal, y
                          Not true, anybody on the post '94 contract can, subject to fulfilling the requirements, continue in service for 21 years.

To continue in service beyond this you must be serving in the rank of Sgt. Even if you achieve Sgt rank you will be discharged at the age of 50, 56 for those who achieve senior NCO rank
                          CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Attested together I presume you mean?

If you pass all stages and all get a place (and have applied to the same brigade) you will train together.... but with the amount of people who will apply the odds are not in your favour.

From reading military.ie it looks like the fitness test is first, so this is probably what will happen when applications close:

a) Competitions section/Bde Manpower Officer looks at all applications, if for example someone answers no to will you allow yourself to be vetted by Gardai or you don't have a work permit, or you are over/under age = bin (say that is 5-10% of applications (you'd be surprised how many people can't answer yes/no answers correctly)

b) Everyone who is left will be called for fitness test (probably at least another 10% will fail or not turn up)

c) Medical a large percentage of people will fail the audiogram (hearing test) or eyesight test (I know of a good few people that found out that they need glasses through the DF eyesight test), they may not necessarily be given a chance to repeat. There will also be chest x-rays, bloods etc (they may lose another 10-15% either through failure or not turning up)

d) then the interview
                            For the NS recruitment psychometric testing was the first thing carried out, with those selected going on to interview. I would imagine that, as was the case with the last batch of recruits, fitness testing will be next, with the audiogram followed by the medical as the last step.

For anyone like Shaz who is applying this year, I would recommend looking up psychometric testing on the net for practise tests.
                            CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

There is no psychometric testing for Army General Service Enlistment

The competition is divided into three stages, Fitness Testing, Interview and Medical

The Fitness tests are scheduled for the last week in September.
                              http://www.military.ie/careers/enlis.../army/army.htm

Comment

Passed fitness test

I'm glad to say I passed my fitness test yesterday, granted it wasn't the time I was getting during training.. You see I got the mother of all stitches on the second leg of the race and it wrecked my time, in future how can I prevent getting a stitch? Cause it felt like my ribs were digging into my lungs lol.

Cheers lads.

Comment

Working...
                                X