X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    NS in and started...

S brigade in and Started.

Although when I heard the entry criteria in the NS I did actually puke...

****ing ride them....
    I saw the syllabus

2.5 hrs spent on learning to say " arrr me hearties"

1.5 hrs practical on the difference between the various duty free shops

3.5 weeks - practical- and test on Sea shanties
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      I saw the syllabus

2.5 hrs spent on learning to say " arrr me hearties"

1.5 hrs practical on the difference between the various duty free shops

3.5 weeks - practical- and test on Sea shanties
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Why hav so many failed de hearing test is it really dat hard,like wat would u say the pass standard is,example being able to hear an iPod on half volume or do u hav to be able to hear a pin drop in a battle field

Comment

• In one of the papers over that last few days they said that in total (army (all brigades), NS and cadets) there was over 10,000 applications!

Originally posted by Gunn1 View Post
          Why hav so many failed de hearing test is it really dat hard,like wat would u say the pass standard is,example being able to hear an iPod on half volume or do u hav to be able to hear a pin drop in a battle field
          There are a number of reasons:
          - people don't take the advice and protect there hearing for a few days before (I recommend at least 72 hours prior to test)

- people are in nightclubs / pubs / other noisy environments, have the radio in the car up to loud or use earphones too much

- people don't realise that the above damage their hearing

- the first time you do the test you aren't sure what you are listening for (it is a buzzing noise)

- people have had grommets or even wax in their ears

- it is also one of a few pass or fail tests

Comment

• But is the buzzing noise really dat hard to hear? Wat other pass fail tests are der I tot it was an eye test den and blood tests dat could fail u

Comment

• Then. This. That. There. What. Thought. You.

Please feel free to use any of the above as often as you wish.
              Welcome to IMO.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunn1 View Post
                But is the buzzing noise really dat hard to hear? Wat other pass fail tests are der I tot it was an eye test den and blood tests dat could fail u
                If you are hearing a buzzing sound during your audiometric (hearing booth)
                testing, then you have a problem

The sound you are listening out for is a bleep....
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  Then. This. That. There. What. Thought. You.

Welcome to IMO.

And thats from a cork man
                  Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

maybe he is deaf but forgot to leave his phone outside?????????
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

Sounds like buzzing to me more than a bleep but then again I'm H20

The official word is tone I think.

http://easyhearing.com/shopping/audiogram_steps.asp
                      I wouldn't use it as a given but it will give you an idea
                      For the DF test you are in a soundproof booth with a button and a big uncomfortable set of adjustable earplugs on.

This is the required standard:
                      Hearing
                      A good standard of unaided hearing is essential. Candidates will be required to undergo an audiometric test at which:
                      (1) the sum of the hearing threshold levels, at low and high frequencies, in each ear must be less than the age related warning levels contained in the "Guidelines on Hearing Checks and Audiometry" issued by the Health and Safety Authority, and,
                      (2) Candidates under 25 years of age must be able to hear all measured pure tones up to and including 8kHz at 20 dB in each ear and candidates aged over 25 years and older must be able to hear all measured pure tones up and including 8kHz at 25 dB in each ear. Candidates must also be free from acute or chronic ear disorders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunn1 View Post
                        But is the buzzing noise really dat hard to hear? Wat other pass fail tests are der I tot it was an eye test den and blood tests dat could fail u
                        Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        Then. This. That. There. What. Thought. You.

Welcome to IMO.
                        Priceless Goldie
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Sorry bout DAT goldie I'm doin DIS on my iPod and it's annoying to type on so I like to type in short txt sorry if I offended UR excellent Cork grammer I do so very sincerly apologise, anyway,thanks 4 de info lads I knew wat de test involved bu I was looking 4 info on how low de beep actually is if u get me? Thanks 4 de reply lads even U goldie

Comment

• Welcome to the board. What Goldie is talking about txt spk. It is not allowed on this forum. Please see:
                            http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ead.php?t=6272
                            specifically
                            "Q: i lk txt spk
                            A: No. Just no. The only acceptable form of communication on IMO is the Queen's English, with proper grammar. "
                            "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• There is never a Moderator around when you need one.

What about the Official language? As I'm sure you are all aware the Irish language always takes priority over its English translation.

As HM Queen Elizabeth II is expected to visit us sometime in the New Year and sub us a few billion we can't really complain.

But GF is right, we have weighty matters to debate on this forum and clarity of thought and argument are of the utmost importance so as to separate the dreamers from the pragmatists.
                              I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                              Who is number 1?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                                ....we have weighty matters to debate on this forum and clarity of thought and argument are of the utmost importance so as to separate the dreamers from the pragmatists.
                                Holy Jaysus, Prisoner, what the hell have you been eating lately.... ???

Comment

Working...
                                X