Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyrdate!

Comment

I'm constantly drinking water dev, and the day of the test I was sipping water all day... Dunno what happened.. Could have been the banana I had before the run?
      Incoming fire has the right of way.

Comment

Well done Shaz, i've my test on monday. I should be grand for most of it but i couldn't find any info on the flexibility test, What exactly is done for that???
        Also, what way does the day pan out??

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Attested together I presume you mean?

If you pass all stages and all get a place (and have applied to the same brigade) you will train together.... but with the amount of people who will apply the odds are not in your favour.

From reading military.ie it looks like the fitness test is first, so this is probably what will happen when applications close:

a) Competitions section/Bde Manpower Officer looks at all applications, if for example someone answers no to will you allow yourself to be vetted by Gardai or you don't have a work permit, or you are over/under age = bin (say that is 5-10% of applications (you'd be surprised how many people can't answer yes/no answers correctly)

b) Everyone who is left will be called for fitness test (probably at least another 10% will fail or not turn up)

c) Medical a large percentage of people will fail the audiogram (hearing test) or eyesight test (I know of a good few people that found out that they need glasses through the DF eyesight test), they may not necessarily be given a chance to repeat. There will also be chest x-rays, bloods etc (they may lose another 10-15% either through failure or not turning up)

d) then the interview
          Military.ie actually says the fitness is first followed by the interview, and then the medical is last.

Defence Forces personnel lead a "Life less Ordinary". All aspects of military life are varied and for each member of the Force each day may bring a new challenge.

The competition is divided into three stages, Fitness Testing, Interview and Medical

Comment

army general service interview

i just passed my fittness test in mckee barracks the other day and i am just wondering if anyone has any info on the interview such as what sort of questions they are going to ask etc.
            cheers!

Comment

Similar to any job!

But have examples of sports, teamwork, possibly leadership etc etc

Comment

I've actually heard alot of people talking about how important sport is to the interviewers, i myself dont play on any team but i used to years ago before work and working out constantly came into the equation i also boxed for a few years, will they fail me on the fact i dont play sports?
                Incoming fire has the right of way.

Comment

army general service interview

wel lads i passed my fitness test the other day just wondering if anyone knows anything about the general service interview like what sort of questions they wil ask or what i can do to prepare.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaz View Post
                    I've actually heard alot of people talking about how important sport is to the interviewers, i myself dont play on any team but i used to years ago before work and working out constantly came into the equation i also boxed for a few years, will they fail me on the fact i dont play sports?
                    Being involved in Team sports means just that.You can work as part of a team.Plus you have a level of fitness.Two things they are looking for.But these are nice to have not must haves.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Well passed the fitness test, is there any indication of when the interviews will be taking place??

Comment

Originally posted by GravyD View Post
                        Well passed the fitness test, is there any indication of when the interviews will be taking place??
                        What did they tell you on the day?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaz View Post
                          I'm constantly drinking water dev, and the day of the test I was sipping water all day... Dunno what happened.. Could have been the banana I had before the run?
                          kind of off on a tangent but why would you jeopardise your test by having a banana just before your run?

your body can't convert its energy that fast - all you are doing is running around with a big undigested banana in your stomach! it's only a fast dash you are doing for the test - not an endurance run so you don't need anything to sustain you. all you need is a good sugar rush.

your best bet is high energy drinks at least 30 mins beforehand so your blood is full of sugar your muscles can burn off therefore lowering your run time, but certainly no solid food at least an hour before you run anywhere.

best of luck anyhow.
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

They basically just said you've passed and off you go, i'm sure i'll get an email or letter in the next few days so its no big deal

Comment

From the DF facebook page : "All General Service Recruitment applicants who pass their fitness will be called for interview.
                              Southern Brigade applicants expect notification and interviews to be held in next 1-2 weeks.
                              Eastern Brigade applicants expect notification and interviews in the next 2-3 weeks as fitness testing is still ongoing."
                              Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

I have my interview on the 14th, what should i expect?

So what kind of questions should i expect to be asked?

any info would be greatly appreciated?

also, they are looking for 2 references...would a secondary school reference,count?

Comment

Working...
                                X