I'm new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new

Right, so I've been a member of the site for ages and I've wanted to join since I was 14. I just turned 17 this month. It'd be just my luck that there's almost no recruitment. I rang the 62 Reserve Infantry battalion the other day and they told me to come down one of the nights with a parent a passport and some photos, so that I can begin vetting. He then told me that they get allocations where they are allowed take in a certain batch of recruits, but he was unsure how often this happened.

Could anyone enlighten me as to how long the security vetting takes? And how often these "batches" of recruits are allowed in?

Welcome Senan

The vetting takes absolute minimum 2-3 months and the whole process will take 3-6 months in most cases (if you lived / were born overseas it will take a bit longer).

They will go throught the whole process (paperwork, vetting, audiogram (hearing test), medical) and submit a list of names of people who qualify they will be then told you can swear in x amount.

You could be lucky you could be unlucky... best of luck

they told me to come down one of the nights with a parent a passport and some photos
    Bring your orginal (long form) birth certificate - not a photocopy!
    4 passport photos (name on back)
    Your PPSN / RSI number
    Your bank account details (not required immediately - is required for pay)
    and your parent/guardian (some of the forms require their signature as you are under 18, and this will speed up the process)

If you were born outside the State or are not an Irish citizen - bring your passport and any work documents etc

Comment

Great, thanks very much!

Comment

and ask for D Company in 62 Battalion. Tuesday nights.
        WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

Depends where Senan is from.... could be HQ/A/C Coy

Comment

D Company is the handiest for me. The 128 is almost right outside my door so it's quite handy. I'm heading out tomorrow night to see what happens! Been waiting for years for this!

Comment

Support Company also parade on Tuesdays and B Company on Wednesdays

Comment

Went there last night. Everyone was very helpful! Filled in my application and my security clearance form. Now all I must do is hope and wait!

Comment

So, medical and administration on Sunday. How long will I have to wait afterwards, does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Senan View Post
                    So, medical and administration on Sunday. How long will I have to wait afterwards, does anyone know?
                    Depends on how fast the Gardai process your security screeening, I guess...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

hi senan
                      Id be prepared to wait a while pal I joined back in march and my security clearance only came back about 3 weeks ago. I was still parading and it seemed like it was never going to arrive back. Saying that it might not be as long a wait for you though either way just stick it out it will be worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by 00martz00 View Post
                        hi senan
                        Id be prepared to wait a while pal I joined back in march and my security clearance only came back about 3 weeks ago I was still parading and it seemed like it was never going to arrive back. Saying that it might not be as long a wait for you though either way just stick it out it will be worth it!

Jaysus, it's WORSE it's getting, not better

Back in the day when I joined (1989), the local Garda Station completed the vetting form
                        (done within 4 minutes, signed and stamped)

I signed up in October 1988, and was sworn in early January 1989

But anything worth it is worth waiting for

I just hope it meets with all your expectations come the hour....
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Hi Truck Driver
                          I could be wrong here but as far as I know the vetting forms are sent down to templmore now. For what ever reason though i have no idea! In my opinion it would be done quicker at the local station but im sure there is a reason for it!

Comment

it took 9 months for my clearance to come back in september 09 after sending it away that january but another lad in my unit was waiting 12 months!
                            Last edited by Morris; 19 September 2010, 17:14.

Comment

Originally posted by 00martz00 View Post
                              Hi Truck Driver
                              I could be wrong here but as far as I know the vetting forms are sent down to templmore now. For what ever reason though i have no idea! In my opinion it would be done quicker at the local station but im sure there is a reason for it!
                              Thurles, Martz. Yep, that was exactly my point, due to this centralised vetting unit

(approx 35 personnel, dealing with vetting forms for MANY different organisations,
                              e.g; someone who would be doing a GAA coaching course for children would have to be
                              vetted)

This is part of the reason why the security screening for the RDF takes so long

As for why it was centralised, someone else may be able to answer that one...

Comment

Working...
                              X