Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking

Hello again, just another question for you experienced service men/women. I've been training my arse off for a few months now and have the fitness locked down but I'm beginning to worry about the "blow into tube test" because I'm a smoker and I reckon that with the amount of applicants they might not pass me on this because I smoke. Is there any smokers here that have any info? Cheers
    Incoming fire has the right of way.

blow as hard as you can mate - that's literally all you can do.

no point worrying about it now.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Hah thanks mate, I know it probably sounded stupid but you know what they say, "your only stupid if you don't ask" and after all the waiting and hoping I'd hate not to get in because of that test... Is there any medication I could take to improve lung capacity/performance?

Comment

As RJG says blow hard

If you have real worries add swimming to your fitness routine. Just rember its not about holding your breath.

But also for the future rember that if is the DF policy to actively discourage smoking.
        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

If your lung volume is too low, stopping smoking now won't help. Unless you have been smoking 2 pack a day since the age of 10 though, you shouldn't be that bad at this stage.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

stop smoking...

Comment

Yeah crag I've decided to give it a shot. I reckon if I'm going to dedicate my life to the DF I should do it properly. Thanks for the advice lads, needed to see it in black and white crag! Hopefully I pass so I can begin the rest of my life within the defense forces.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                blow as hard as you can mate - that's literally all you can do.
                And for as long as you can, the best way seems to be like a strong pant

Originally posted by Shaz View Post
                Is there any medication I could take to improve lung capacity/performance?
                Exercise - eg running, cycling, swimming - will improve lung capacity

Google - Powerbreathe - expensive but makes a big difference over time

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                  stop smoking...
                  that goes without saying
                  Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

that goes without saying
                    Wholly concur.

Was a smoker for 27 years, have been off them 12months and have to say it does change your life.

Is there any medication I could take to improve lung capacity/performance?
                    Yes the Nicotene Replacement Therapy that will get you off fags....which will increase your lung capacity.

Plsu the money you'll save which will fund gym memebership to have avaoid running in the open on those cold and wet nights.

Nothing worse than an ex smoker......I'll die some day as well, but I've reduced my chances of my lungs totting and ending my days breathing from a bottle having had my legs amputated due to poor circulation put down to smoking.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                    X