RDF Fitness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF Fitness

ask them to load 40 bergans onto a truck and they are sitting down before the job is done complaining that their arms are hurting.
    Surely thats to do with a lack of leadership coupled with the lack of authority within your unit as opposed to fitness- judging by their IT scores the lads are as fit as a young me- and the tests are in some way designed to replicate the muscles used in normal Military life- so we know they can do it- is just they wont do it- therefore the lads with stripes and pips are as much at fault.

As people get older they d odrop down the fitness grade.
    They allow themselves to drop down the fitness grades;

The DF takes into account the fact that a person ages and as they age etc etc

they have graduated tests on age ranges- therefore I am doing the same test as a lad of 18 whilst I am 45
    but my targets are different to his-

if a lad drops down fitness levels then he is letting his fitness level drop;

In the vikings we had our own marking system- if you didnt get grade 1 as an NCO then you were deemed shite- and the piss was pulled out of you.

and if you did girly press ups over the age of 40- you were given a girls name- if you werent hitting 55-65 press ups at least and similar sit ups then the title "bagalero " was bestowed upon you.

of the 41 pages on this thread- I would say 30 of them are just excuses and cribs;

you lads have not only some incredibly fit guys amongst your ranks but you also have some amazingly dedicated and professional guys as well;

if teh RDF is to survive- get rid of the wasters who come up wiith excuses and cant pass or get by the minium grades on the fitness tests

and promote the lads who relaisng that the DF isnt going to hire Jane Fonda to come in and train you-head out most evenings for a run- cycle- jog- walk etc on their own, solely because they want to be up the front at a P -I-A.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    Surely thats to do with a lack of leadership coupled with the lack of authority within your unit as opposed to fitness- judging by their IT scores the lads are as fit as a young me- and the tests are in some way designed to replicate the muscles used in normal Military life- so we know they can do it- is just they wont do it- therefore the lads with stripes and pips are as much at fault.

They allow themselves to drop down the fitness grades;

The DF takes into account the fact that a person ages and as they age etc etc

they have graduated tests on age ranges- therefore I am doing the same test as a lad of 18 whilst I am 45
    but my targets are different to his-

if a lad drops down fitness levels then he is letting his fitness level drop;

In the vikings we had our own marking system- if you didnt get grade 1 as an NCO then you were deemed shite- and the piss was pulled out of you.

and if you did girly press ups over the age of 40- you were given a girls name- if you werent hitting 55-65 press ups at least and similar sit ups then the title "bagalero " was bestowed upon you.

of the 41 pages on this thread- I would say 30 of them are just excuses and cribs;

you lads have not only some incredibly fit guys amongst your ranks but you also have some amazingly dedicated and professional guys as well;

if teh RDF is to survive- get rid of the wasters who come up wiith excuses and cant pass or get by the minium grades on the fitness tests

and promote the lads who relaisng that the DF isnt going to hire Jane Fonda to come in and train you-head out most evenings for a run- cycle- jog- walk etc on their own, solely because they want to be up the front at a P -I-A.

top post
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

I am talking about the fitness test Trell- plain and simple;

I fail to see why we accept or even congragulate a lad just about passing the test.

Your a fit lad Trell- do you train to just pass the test or do you train to be the best

knowing you its the latter and if you go to the fitness threads on this board

most lads are in the same groupings- getting a bare pass mark on your fitness test

just proves your able to do 1 more press up than the lad that failed.

wooope de doooo

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
        Injury?

...got grade 4!
        Excuses;

lets be honest-

the thousands of fit , able and enthusastic RDF ers deserve better

Comment

Injury would bring you to grade 2.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Your a fit lad Trell- do you train to just pass the test or do you train to be the best
            No point running a PL if the lads disappear over the hill
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure
              I suppose what I'm getting at is the golden triangle of tests, in a nutshell, running, tabbing and shooting. I know we already do the APWT, and ITs in the case of courses, but I'm saying that the bar needs to be raised. G4 should result in remedial PT followed by a retest in 3 months time. It might not matter now, but there might come the day that a good standard of fitness could be the difference between life and death.
              Well then what you are proposing in increasing the standard needed to pass ITs. G5 & G6 should result in remedial PT (in the PDF I'd say it does).

G4 may be a pass, but G3 should be the minimum standard that a unit should be achieving.
              Yes!

Although I do recall seeing the attendance figures last year and my CO had more attendance than the most dedicated of our Cpls/Pvts who'd be at every weekend, weeknight and FTT. Something fishy there I thought.....
              Careful there.... your OC could be attending thinks you no nothing about and don't need to know about! Eg conferences, seminars, courses etc

Comment

Everyone should aspire to be Grade 1 fitness. Weak points should be identified and worked on.
                Does it take time to get there ? yes. Not as long as you think.

Comment

Luchi,
                  You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about perceived attitudes to fitness levels. While I may aspire to G1, I myself am probably only a G2, althoughI haven't tested myself yet, but I train fairly regularly, even though I'm no gym bunny (I don't even have a gym membership). But I certainly won't let myself become the weakest link in whatever team I'm in due to my fitness. Which is why tonight I'll be steadily running 3 miles.

As you may have seen in the Driver's Course thread, I only now have an AF154. As for my unit's role, if it were able to perform that role efficiently in the first place, I wouldn't be missed if I'm dicked to be a driver as my official defined role is driver/radio operator (SINCGARS course pending ). But the reality is, I'm often on the ground as we're persistantly short on manpower.

I've not achieved the marksman badge yet, as I believe I have to score it 2-3 times in a row to get it, but without wishing to brag, I'm not a bad shot and my APWT scores are in that region. It's not about trying to be a super-soldier Luchi, but every soldier regardless of trade or rank should be trying to be the best soldier they can be, for the sake of their unit and personal pride.

Dev,
                  You may be right about my CO, although if he is doing any of that stuff, it'll be for the sake of a jolly, because no amount of field jolly days is making him or our unit any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    That's not correct, whoever said this - if the Joining Instructions state
                    "ITs must have been PASSED in the previous 12 months", then
                    the MINIMUM qualifying standard is Grade 4
                    you didn't read the joining instructions for the Tpt Ins course then. it stated grade 3 minimum.

now if you want to tell our friend that spends so much time down in TVMS that he is misleading us please do so when I can watch.

don't guess I sent you a pm
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                      you didn't read the joining instructions for the Tpt Ins course then. it stated grade 3 minimum.

now if you want to tell our friend that spends so much time down in TVMS that he is misleading us please do so when I can watch.

don't guess I sent you a pm
                      READ MY POST AGAIN !

I said "passed ITs" means minimum Grade 4, "Minimum Grade 3" means the required grade is
                      being specified.....

JAYSUS !!!
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I read you post but with some exceptions, the Std NCO crse being one, all career courses and courses run by NCO trg wing require G3 minimum.

The number of crses that require minimum std is reducing.
                        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                          Only personnel 40 years of age or over have the option to walk (4+ km) versus 3.2km
                          run, but yes, this only allows for G4, regardless of other test scores

This is confirmed in Annex F of TI 02/2000. Those under 40 with documented chronic injuries may be tested in other ways but only those over 40 have the option of the walk. Has this instruction been superceded by a newer document?
                          "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

So no Ptes are not just hanging round for the craic. They are out most weekends driving other units around because those units don't have the drivers or like in S&S case can't spare a lad to do the driving because of lack of numbers.
                            Luchi is correct in this regard; at no reward his unit will usually send a driver or two over if we are short.

Now where are ours you ask ? well we don't have many, and they are lost like the others in the turnover despite our efforts. If it was up to us we would take our Ptes with a B licence, photocopy DSOs put them through the DSO exam, show them how to reverse a nissan with a trailer on the back and send them to LSB to be tested ... but it doesn't apparently work like that.

OT I know.

Back OT. Fitness is a core mil skill/requirement/attribute ( call it what you will ) . It is only recently, and by that I mean the last 5 years, that I have come to agree with this.

TI5/07 needs a slight amendment to include the RDF - and that is basically to add the requirement for an annual medical/approval to undergo the ITs ( essentially all they need to do is add THIS APPLIES TO RDF as well )
                            Last edited by trellheim; 24 September 2010, 16:44.

Comment

TI5/07 needs a slight amendment to include the RDF - and that is basically to add the requirement for an annual medical/approval to undergo the ITs ( essentially all they need to do is add THIS APPLIES TO RDF as well
                              You dont need an annual medical to do IT's unless you are over forty.
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                              X