What should I be doing to prepare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I be doing to prepare?

I have my fitness test at Collins barracks in cork in four days...I have worked my way down to running the mile and a half in the given time, I've also mastered the sit ups and push ups in the time required. Any additional advice to prepare? Any advice for interview?.

As I have only had my account verified here and I was unable to ask questions before, Would anyone have any information on what way we live on barracks during training(if i get in). Do we have the odd weekend at home or are we on barracks for the entire probationary period?

Any answers would be appreciated.

On the fitness side, you need to start going beyond the fitness requirements. Doing 20 push-ups and stopping means you won't be able to go much beyond that - you need to continually overload your body. Do more, make them harder etc. You need to show the testers that 20 push-ups and sit ups is a breeze rather than just barely getting over the line in time.
    You also need to start preparing for your recruit training - it will a odd day that you ONLY get 20 push-ups to do.
    With 4 days to go, however, you will not achieve much. Keep working away but make sure you don't pick up an injury - proper warm up, pre-stretch and warm down/post stretch. If you are feeling ok, then do a bit of light exercise the night before the test. If your muscle are sore now - you need to slow down a lot before the test and pick it up again after.
    On the day of the test - HYDRATE. Won't make a huge difference as the test is quite short but don't be dehydrated. Good breakfast of porridge or weetabix but nothing for about 2 or 3 hours before the test except water. Sip the water, don't be starting the test on a full stomach of water or food.
    Can YOU Meet The Challenge

Comment

Howya lads, i'm new to this. I have my fitness test coming up in a few days, anybody know what the flexibility test entails, Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by GravyD View Post
        Howya lads, i'm new to this. I have my fitness test coming up in a few days, anybody know what the flexibility test entails, Cheers
        When i did my test they didn't do the flexibility test or the grip test.

Comment

Yeah i heard its only new, Cant get any info anywhere for it

Comment

You sit on a mat with your legs straight out in front of you, knees locked and feet flat against a box. On top of the box is a scale and you have to sit forward and reach along until you cannot stretch any further. The distance you reach is correlated with your flexibility.
            "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Ah cheers, that sounds fairly handy

Comment

Originally posted by concussion View Post
                You sit on a mat with your legs straight out in front of you, knees locked and feet flat against a box. On top of the box is a scale and you have to sit forward and reach along until you cannot stretch any further. The distance you reach is correlated with your flexibility.
                Didn't know this was in the test now.

Google "Sit and reach test".

A home version that you can do is instead of reaching across a box, simply leave your hands by your side, feet flat against a wall, and roll pencils along the ground. Measure distance from pencils to the wall.

Comment

Whats the story with you Challenge Fitness?
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Challenge Fitness View Post
                    You also need to start preparing for your recruit training - it will a odd day that you ONLY get 20 push-ups to do.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      Whats the story with you Challenge Fitness?

Originally posted by dahamster View Post
                      When you begin Recruit training, you will be required to go beyond the basic entrance fitness level.

By only being able to do 20 push ups or sit ups, you are going to find it more difficult during recruit training. Potential Recruit should concentrate on passing his fitness test and THEN begin training for his Recruit Training by improving his fitness. It is rare that ONLY 20 push ups are given during recruit training.

Comment

Originally posted by Challenge Fitness View Post
                        Thanks Mate-

are you ex PDF PTI

if so its great to see lads using their skills -

I may set up my own firm similar to your called Challenge 81 Mortars
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                          I may set up my own firm similar to your called Challenge 81 Mortars
                          You' ll probably have to relocate to Limerick though....
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by GravyD View Post
                            Yeah i heard its only new, Cant get any info anywhere for it
                            No.Its been there since '94.I did it when i did my entrance fitness test way back when.

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            You' ll probably have to relocate to Limerick though....
                            Less of it you.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Less of it you.

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X