RAF/German airplanes shot down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAF/German airplanes shot down

While listening to Pat Kenny yesterday a gentleman was discussing the Deprt of foreign Affairs documents for 1940 to 1945. He said in reply to Kenny that two RAF and one German airplanes were shot down. Were these by the Ack Ack boys and if so where? Anybody know?
    Cheers

be specific..where were they alleged to be shot down given the only fixed AD was in the Dublen area and we didn't have anything capable of interception until we acquired huurricanes of which there is no record of them engaging with aircrat breaching our neutrality.

The only aircraft shot down over Ireland were by the RAF
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

This page may be of some interest to you Vosper

"Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Had a listen to the interiew on playback, the person said that the German airplane was by the units at Rosslare and the RAF were at Malin Head.
        I have checked the website listed by concussion but I cannot see anything that fits these shootings as claimed
        Cheers for the assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by VosperM1 View Post
          Were these by the Ack Ack boys and if so where?
          To the best of my knowledge neither the AC or the AA accounted for any shot down aircraft!

Comment

I seem to remember reading in one of McCarrons books that a German aircraft was downed in Wexford by AA mounted Vickers MG's after ignoring warning flares.

Tony Kearns is the expert in this area. From memory ,he would dispute some of McCarron's facts.

Comment

the opnly record mentioned in McCarrons book 'Landfall Ireland is of a Bv138 flying boat which after the crew being interned was sunk by gun fire by the Fort Rannoch off Inisvickallaune in November 1940.

there were 'dogfights' between the RAF and Luftwaffe over wexford on several occassions with some aircraft either crashing off the coast or on land.

One one occassion however a heinkel did crash land near Rosslare and despite the explosive device fitted for destruction failing to ignite the crew dismounted a machine gun and fired at it for ten minutes despite the Gardai protest...until a hung bob was hit by a round and the whole thing went up.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The reference is in his other book "Wings Over Ireland", Murph.

I loaned it to a neighbour a few years ago. Next time I'm home I'll have a look for it.

Comment

Tony Kearns is the expert in this area. From memory ,he would dispute some of McCarron's facts.[/QUOTE]

I see that tony Kearns is listed as a member so maybe he will know something and add to it.
                  Cheers

Comment

I have wings over Ireland, I'll check it out.

Tony won'tr post here anymore although he is listed as member as he wasn't happy with some of the content and how it was managed.

Expert indeed that he is,he is entitled to his privacy so I wouldn't expect contribution.

I loaned it to a neighbour a few years ago.
                    'Neither lender or borrower be.'

While it might seem nice to lend books to people they have an uncanny knack of dying or emmigrating or just loosing your books!

Comment

Hey.. I have not emigrated...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

You're the only person I loan books to......The one person in the world I trust to loan books to is a hairy biker from Cork....hmm....

Comment

Working...
                        X