The tail wagging the dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tail wagging the dog

It appears to me that the Minister of Defence does not know what his Civil Servents are doing. The instruction that the RDF were not to recruit which the Minister denied in the Dáil is one example and is this another? http://pdforra.ie/news/?p=505
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Did the minister deny it (RDF ban) or was it more of an "I didn't do it and I don't know if anyone else did, so don't ask me" sort of thing?

But what is the story with the allowance. Did someone say it was not to be paid or was there some other criteria?
    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

I understand that ALL ps recruitment must be approved by D/Fin. Unless the Minister was asked by the DoD specifically to allow recruitment to the reserve, he wouldn't need to make an annuncement on it.
      I'm willing to bet that all future recruitment will wait on the result of the RDF Audit.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

But AFAICR in answer to one of the PQs a couple of weeks back the minister said HE did not say there was to be an RDF recruitment ban and as far as he knew there was not one.
        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

There isn't. Shur didn't he allow each unit to recruit 0.7 recruits each....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            There isn't. Shur didn't he allow each unit to recruit 0.7 recruits each....
            Which was a clever move, as they would automatically fail the medical due to having at least one limb missing, therefore resulting in a de-facto zero recruitment...

I'll get my coat.
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              I'll get my coat.
              Do you need a hand to get it on?
              Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Working...
              X