Defence Force ID Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Force ID Cards

Just to throw a question out there, why doesn't every member of the Defence Forces weather it be PDF or RDF get issued a ID card exact same for everyone.

At the moment RFFRA offers one and PDF personell travelling overseas get one but thats a very poor system, a standardised system for ID cards across all units would be much better and would stop hassle at the gate of certain barracks.

During the summer a Cpl on the gate said to a private who are you, when he said he was on a course and was in full uniform he said well I don't know you so your not getting in.

Any thoughts??

:flagwave:

I would agree to it in principle. It should only be allowed to used to gain acess to Bks and not used as an ID card for nite clubs
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
    http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Well legally the only the IDs that are accepted in night clubs or pubs are passport, divers licence or age card (see recent changes in legislation)

Comment

The turnover in the RDF is too high to issue I.D. cards.
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

What about those of us that have a lot of years behind us and get stopped when enterng a bks??
          Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
          http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Next time youre on the range get your photo taken with the most senior ranking pdf member.
            Now you have a picture of you in uniform with a weapon with someone recognisable.
            Just a thought............

Regards etc

Comment

On certain courses ID cards are now issued to gain access to barracks, The time frame on the cards is limited for the duration of the course and Photos are taken with digital camera and templates are all done on PC, cards are then signed by OIC course or barracks and laminated.
              "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Comment

Incidentally, the Geneva Convention obliges every combatant to have an ID card, so if a war ever started, the DF must have a contract with QuikPrint....

Comment

The turnover point is relevant, i can picture the scene nearly every training night where someone has lost their card, also they would have to be reclaimed when they leave the RDF.

Also if a card were issued then it would be common cuurency and someone wanting to gain access to a barracks would know what they have to forge, before you sharpen your pencils, [Mod edited -sensitive information] - but if cards were on issue then they would confer a reasonable right of access ?

The current system where the gate policeman should know you to allow access works, because if he doesn't know you then quite often in my experience you are asked who you are and what your business is, i have several times been asked to produce ID and I think it is a reasonable system given the domestic threat level currently in the state.
                  Last edited by Joshua; 30 October 2003, 15:08.
                  No Beast so fell that knows no pity,
                  No Beast am I, For I know no pity...

Comment

well then have cards with a smart chip, so when the individual goes inactive it is recorded and the card no longer functions
                    Meh.

Comment

We have such a system at work. Cards can be disabled if not returned,denying access. I am sure cost would be the issue,compared to the cost of a foul tempered gate policeman..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

my view only - this is a fairly dodgy thread ?
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Am I correct in saying that only Officers are issued with ID cards? If true, why?

Comment

No that is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosantor
                              On certain courses ID cards are now issued to gain access to barracks, The time frame on the cards is limited for the duration of the course and Photos are taken with digital camera and templates are all done on PC, cards are then signed by OIC course or barracks and laminated.
                              yeah but we were meant to get these on our annual camp but never saw them!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X