Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
    No DSM..off duty .

DSMs are only handed out to those performing acts above and beyond while in the course of their duties.

Lets just say I was in a similar situation some years ago.

Water safety Association will probably give her an award.

Good stuff that soldier..at least I can't be wrong in using that term.She is a credit to the army ,probably get a hearty hand shake from here OC.

The she has the award that she probably would care most about , the fact she save another human life.It stays with you when you put yourself in danger to save another and the feeling you get is reward enough.
    Hear hear.

Yours Goldie(still waiting for Scott Medal) Fish.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
      I don't see why a soldier should be awarded militarily for something they do in their civilian time.
      i agree Kermit - what she did was fantastic but it was not conducted as part of her service to the Defence Forces. granted - she used qualities and skills gained from the Irish DF, but any civvie with similar life saving skills should have done the same and would not be subject to such an award.

a DSM for this would do nothing for the DSM when it is required for greater actions in future operations.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I remember some years back DSMs being awarded to 2 soldiers who rescued a man from the sea(maybe in Fenit) although they were on CIT at the time.

Comment

Fair play to her

Comment

Well done that girl, promote her and give her a gong too.

Comment

Well done to her. Credit to a cool head and her training.
              regards
              GttC

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                No DSM..off duty .
                A member of the DF is never off duty. By regulation you are on duty 24/7, that is why we cannot take part in the likes of protest marches yet the GARDAI/Prison Officers can.

But back on topic, cool thinking from the lady concerned and while she may not get an award i'm sure she'll get a bit of good will when it comes to promotion etc.
                CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

when we were in Kenya doing Jungle Warfare in 1997, we had to cross a river - so our Assault Pioneers blew-up a tree to span the river so we could cross it. there were unexpected flash floods and the flow of water increased rapidly as we crossed the fallen tree to get to the other side.

as the riflemen crossed the river walking on the tree and holding onto a para-cord safety line, one of them was swept away and got stuck in the weeds and reeds, another rifleman ditched his kit and jumped in to help him. he managed to get the rifleman to the bank of the now fast flowing river where other riflemen grabbed him however the rifleman who jumped in to rescue his mate couldn't fight the current any longer and was swept away.

we patrolled the banks of the river for 3 days and nights to find our missing rifleman. we found the bodies of three other locals who had been drowned in the same flash floods but we never found our rifleman.

Rifleman Blackledge of 1st Battalion The Royal Green Jackets was posthumously awarded the Queens Commendation for Bravery (QCB) for his actions in saving the life of another Rifleman whilst on duty, and in doing so losing his own life to save a friend.

i think this was a fitting award given the circumstances. a DSM for your brave signaller would only serve to dilute the value of your DSM.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                    a DSM for your brave signaller would only serve to dilute the value of your DSM.
                    cough COS Dsm
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Well done, but its not worth the DSM. Aggre with RGJ need to issue sparingly so that it means something. although in recent years it seems that the award of DSMs has been more liberal than say 30 yrs ago,
                      Fine looking woman too, I am sure that is sexist ,, but call me old fashioned, Dont know how she would have managed years ago with some of the guys I soldiered with.. kipping in the caravan in flagstaff for example.. but then there was no PC ... But times have changed.. I am a fossil..
                      Still cant understand how u have women in infantry units, do tehy riflewoman etc .. Sorry off topic...

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                        Well done, but its not worth the DSM. Aggre with RGJ need to issue sparingly so that it means something. although in recent years it seems that the award of DSMs has been more liberal than say 30 yrs ago,
                        Fine looking woman too, I am sure that is sexist ,, but call me old fashioned, Dont know how she would have managed years ago with some of the guys I soldiered with.. kipping in the caravan in flagstaff for example.. but then there was no PC ... But times have changed.. I am a fossil..
                        Still cant understand how u have women in infantry units, do tehy riflewoman etc .. Sorry off topic...

agreed Bandit - don't dish out the DSM for this.

yes she is fit - would love to have gladly helped her out of her wet clothes

and we only have RifleMEN because we don't have women in our infantry
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

The DSM is already awarded to some for sitting in the same rank for long enough. Giving it to a soldier who displayed courage in a stressful situation, and used her training to save the life of another is a much more worthy award than giving one for becoming Chief of Staff.

Comment

Well done indeed, cool head and terriffic outcome. Without knowing more, I'd say she should be recognoised by the Forces. On duty or off duty, she still put herself at risk.

In the US we have the Soldiers Medal which is awarded (not frequently either like everything else we do here) for "non combat related valorus acts" such as this. Most of them are awarded for off duty situations like this. The DF should have a way to recognoise off duty acts, if she were a paramedic or a firefighter who used her training & knowledge off duty, whats the difference?

FWIW, in the US Air Force, they retained the title "Airman" regardless of gender, deciding the term itself is generic and it would be too cumbersome to have an "Airman" and "Airwoman". Not overly PC, but the storm passed many years ago and no one seems to care.

So, back on track, well done to our fit Singaller.

A

Comment

I'm sure she will receive an award of some type..... not sure if it will qualify for a DSM of not.

RGJ there is a major difference in the 2 stories, this Signalwoman wasn't working when she undertook this brave act.

Comment

I'd share a trench with her anytime

Comment

Working...
                                X