No announcement yet.

Medical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey! I tore my ACL last year and i was just wondering if that would stop me from passing the medical test even if I pass the fitness test and am fully recovered? I never saw anything about it on the defence forces site or in the medical requirements but I know that for the British army you are ineligable to join if you have had an ACL reconstruction?
    Does anybody know anything about this?

Comment

Originally posted by nm3 View Post
      I know that for the British army you are ineligible to join if you have had an ACL reconstruction?
      Does anybody know anything about this?
      you will obviously NOT be allowed join the Irish DF if you have torn your ACL as the standards of entry for the Irish DF are higher (so i am told), so i wouldn't even bother applying for the Irish DF mate.

MOD: Attempting to mislead a person looking to join the DF - points issued
      Last edited by DeV; 27 March 2011, 23:08.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Not to date, but having said that, it is there...

Yes saw it in action... reason being..pregnant at testing.....
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          you will obviously NOT be allowed join the Irish DF if you have torn your ACL as the standards of entry for the Irish DF are higher (so i am told), so i wouldn't even bother applying for the Irish DF mate.
          really?
          when I applied before, I had to withdraw my application because of my injury and I explained why I had to withdraw my application and said that I would like to apply again so I'm surprised I was never told that I wouldn't be able to join :(
          thanks for your reply, though

Comment

RGJ, stop dragging threads off topic.

Comment

nm3 the only personnel who you should seek advice on that front from is a member of the IRISH Army Medical Corps or Competitions Section, RGJ is not necessarily correct.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                nm3 the only personnel who you should seek advice on that front from is a member of the IRISH Army Medical Corps or Competitions Section, RGJ is not necessarily correct.
                yeah I'll be ringing tomorrow!
                thanks,
                niamh

Comment

Damnit, another girl chased off IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Napp View Post
                    Damnit, another girl chased off IMO.
                    And this time, I had nothing to do with it....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I think you may be wrong there RGJ...

I tore both my ACL & MCL snowboarding & i can assure you once it's treated
                      your good to go. Make sure not to hide it from them or under-report it though
                      as i did, or you'll get a bollocking from PTI, medic & Sgt.
                      But they never said it was a disqualifying factor..
                      They can't block you from joining if you pass the fitness tests.
                      Life's short, party naked :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mad P View Post
                        I think you may be wrong there RGJ...

I tore both my ACL & MCL snowboarding & i can assure you once it's treated
                        your good to go. Make sure not to hide it from them or under-report it though
                        as i did, or you'll get a bollocking from PTI, medic & Sgt.
                        But they never said it was a disqualifying factor..
                        They can't block you from joining if you pass the fitness tests.
                        fair one Mad P and well done, i was only basing my comments on another thread:

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                        We have higher entry standards for fittness, medical, education etc, than the yanks and brits who just take anyone.
                        which clearly stated that the Irish DF has higher medical entry standards than the British Army, and if this was the case then joining the Irish DF would surely be out of the question.

the British Army obviously do not "just take anyone" if such an injury prevents you from joining us whilst allowing you into the Irish DF and Rhodes was clearly in the wrong when he made that blanket statement, so i apologise on his behalf.
                        RoyalGreenJacket
                        Commander in Chief
                        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 29 March 2011, 02:13.
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Found the following link recently, it gives a good guide as what to expect on the hearing test.

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/...-hearing-test/

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Bear in mind that being able to hear all of those frequencies with your speakers at max volume doesn't guarantee a pass in the audiogram.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              Found the following link recently, it gives a good guide as what to expect on the hearing test.

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/...-hearing-test/
                              How, exactly, is this graded, by the way? The first time I reckoned that I had failed (periods of what seemed to be silence), yet I was told that it was perfectly OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicklaman View Post
                                How, exactly, is this graded, by the way? The first time I reckoned that I had failed (periods of what seemed to be silence), yet I was told that it was perfectly OK.
                                The computer gives the grade, the large gaps are there in case you're just guessing
                                CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Working...
                                X