• Show
Clear All

• Galway under threat?

From today's Connacht Sentinel

Soldiers fear plan to move 160 of them to Athlone

February 8, 2011 - 7:30am
    Minister denies knowledge of downgrading of Renmore barracks
    BY CIARAN TIERNEY

Minister for Defence Éamon Ó Cuív yesterday denied having any knowledge of plans to downgrade the army barracks in Renmore following reports that over 160 city-based soldiers are set to be redeployed to Athlone.

Soldiers are understood to have concerns that only 69 of the 234 troops currently stationed at Dun Ui Mhaoiliosa will be retained at the Galway facility after they were briefed about a proposed re-organisation of the Irish Army last week, and again yesterday morning.

The Connacht Sentinel understands that soldiers were briefed about proposals to transfer a majority of those stationed in Renmore to Athlone at two meetings last Wednesday afternoon and yesterday morning.

Following the meetings at Renmore Barracks, soldiers expressed fears that only 69 members of the Exercise Company would be retained in Galway with all others set to be moved to Athlone.

Their fears were highlighted by Galway West election candidate Thomas Welby (Independent) who said he had met concerned members of the defence forces while canvassing at the weekend who feared they would have to commute to the Midlands.

Yesterday, Minister Ó Cuív said that plans for the re-organisation of the Irish Army were still only at a preliminary stage and his Department had no knowledge of plans to move the vast majority of Renmore-based soldiers to Athlone.

“I have asked the Department of Defence to find out what was said at the meeting in Renmore last week,” said Minister Ó Cuív. “I was made aware of this last Friday and people within my Department seem to be very, very surprised about any talk of a downgrading.

Minister Ó Cuív said there were long-term plans for the reorganisation of the defence forces, but these were only at a preliminary stage.

“Whatever plans are formulated are not likely to be before my Department for a number of months yet,” he added. “This will be a long process and the Minister has to approve it. I want to establish the facts in this case. At the Department level, officials have been very taken aback that there should be such a proposal.”
    Go Mairidís Beo

O cuiv is hunting for the army vote. Parish Pump politics at its best.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

why would any of the soldiers need to 'commute to the midlands'?

obviously accommodation and housing will be provided for them if they are posted there.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

If An Cead Cath( sorry, can't figure out how to do fadas on the computer!) is broken up or redeployed elsewhere, O'Cuiv is not going to be a very popular man in either Galway west or out Connemara way!!
        Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          why would any of the soldiers need to 'commute to the midlands'?

obviously accommodation and housing will be provided for them if they are posted there.
          Thats a mighty big shit stirring spoon you have there

anyway

everyone knows that Galwegians all live in caravans
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

anyway

everyone knows that Galwegians all live in caravans
            Not true Hedgie..I live in Wales!
            Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Originally posted by Traumagod View Post
              Not true Hedgie..I live in Wales!
              Your a settled Gullyah

Comment

right - i'll try avoid this one and let you lot realise the actual situation!

i'm not saying a word on this for at least 72hours (friday evening) at the earliest.

it's all yours.
                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Your a settled Gullyah
                  Finally boss! :P 'Til I'm moved on again like....
                  Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                    right - i'll try avoid this one and let you lot realise the actual situation!

i'm not saying a word on this for at least 72hours (friday evening) at the earliest.

it's all yours.
                    Nah work away mate,

most of our lads can afford their own gaffs.

Comment

Nah work away mate,

most of our lads can afford their own gaffs.
                      Ah hahahahahaahahaha! nice one!

Sure maybe RGJ can swing them all a transfer into the BA. I'm thinking 1st Bn to the 1 Royal Irish maybe? Us Gulyahs can't count past one anyway so it would be an easy one remember! :P
                      Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Sellya a gate boss. I don't see why they would be renovating a lot of the buildings there only to move most of the lads there out. I'll be asking some tough questions when they come knocking.
                        Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Soldiers are understood to have concerns that only 69 of the 234 troops currently stationed at Dun Ui Mhaoiliosa will be retained at the Galway facility after they were briefed about a proposed re-organisation of the Irish Army last week, and again yesterday morning.
                          234..out what should be a battalion...wheres the rest of them?
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Following the meetings at Renmore Barracks, soldiers expressed fears that only 69 members of the Exercise Company would be retained in Galway with all others set to be moved to Athlone.
                            Whats an exercise company? i've never heard of that term before.

Comment

mullingar is still holding on. and there all dropping around it

Comment

Working...
                              X