Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should recruitment to the RDF be changed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RDF isn't exactly turning people away as it is,
    ... ummm theres a recruitment ban atm ?

it isn't an obstacle I'm talking about revamping the whole thing to serve the organization not the people.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      no you wouldn't, there'd be no concept of "want" MO and Engr. offr. are special cases. Locn: reserve needs to be near a barracks. Grade people during training and thats the incentive- do well and you'll get the corps you want
      Say drivers then, there should be some in every unit. As TD says johnny drives 6 days a week he doesn't want to make it 7 but still wants to join, should the DF say no? (not they recognise his qualification anyway!).

If you look at CS4 there are a fair few tech grades in the other ranks (some probably requiring civilian qualifications.

With regard to speciailist posts, the majority will be located at 3 posts around the country (that is where the units are).

[QUOTE=Truck Driver;326248]Yes to what, RGJ ?

Originally posted by SwiftandSure
      That said, if someone wants to be CIS etc and is willing to travel, then they should be given the option to apply; otherwise the default should be to post relative to geographical location.
      Definitely, provided there is a vacancy, the places should be allocated as required.

Ah you see of course with this approach you'd be told if for example if you can't make it to a barracks under your own steam in good time, you're probably not what we want. Why should it serve the guy applying - who cares about him ? he's the one who wants to serve.
      I'm referring to posting after training.

Comment

still and all - you go where you're told johnny driver joins to serve the state not decide what he is to do.

Comment

Lets say your a computer programmer and your want the CIS and are sent to AMC, and hate it will you stay?

If people are going to join, they need to be given the option of where they want to train on a regular basis.

Lets assume there are only units in barracks, your from Waterford and apply for your unit to be Kilkenny but on completion of training your posted to Cork (and yet you work in Kilkenny). There is no way your life will allow you to train in Cork.

After 2 years training, all the mandays, clothing etc if you don't attend you are kicked out through no fault of your own.

This has to be taken into account, it is different if you are talking in a multi-unit barracks.

The way to be could be:
          - copy of qualifications
          - 2 choices in order of preference

Comment

Yes, that was a point I made. There has to be some allowance made for
            geographical factors

There are separate factors pertaining to RDF recruitment and retention, which
            would not necessarily apply to PDF recruitment and retention
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Agreed. But that was not what I was saying. if you apply to the barracks in Kilkenny, then you should be expected to be posted to a unit in Kilkenny - irrelevant what the unit is.

Lets say your a computer programmer and your want the CIS and are sent to AMC, and hate it will you stay?
              then get lost, the DF isn't for you. If you were good enough during recruit training youd have had your choice.

Comment

if you apply to the barracks in Kilkenny, then you should be expected to be posted to a unit in Kilkenny - irrelevant what the unit is.
                Thats far enough in that case
                then get lost, the DF isn't for you. If you were good enough during recruit training youd have had your choice.
                Well you do have to take personal choice into account in that case

Comment

PS Hpt I minded your post ....

Comment

why does it all have to be so complicated?

IMHO - If jonny comes to the gate to join he joins infantry. He complete his 3* training with the training unit just like in the PDF.
                    IF there is a driving, CIS or any other course available then jonny can then, like anyone else apply. If it doesn't suit him then he wont apply. There is no question of being "posted" to some unit he has no interest in. If after 5 years jonny has not opted for further skills training or shown interest in being an infantry NCO then its time for him to move on.

This would fulfil the needs of the organisation and the wants of the volunteer.

BTW If jonny drives for a living then he should not be permitted to drive for the RDF. Maximum driving hours were set for safety reasons. the fact that the military is exempt should not be allowed to detract from this.

As for remuneration and compensation, if the RDF became a part-time job, as it would if all hours were paid, then many professionals would have to exclude themselves from serving as the RDF hours would push their hours over the maximum permissable.
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                      As for remuneration and compensation, if the RDF became a part-time job, as it would if all hours were paid, then many professionals would have to exclude themselves from serving as the RDF hours would push their hours over the maximum permissable.
                      That might be an issue for the Tpt Coy, but for everyone else it would provide an incentive for people to produce themselves on parade nights - which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who shows up.

Comment

not just tpt.

Although that is an issue of safety which people choose to ignore.
                        But there are other people working in areas, pharma for example, that their employers must ensure the working time directive is strictly enforced.

Jonny works 45 hrs on the plant.
                        Then "works" on a 4 hour field day.
                        Now Jonny be very careful not to exceed his hours the following week.
                        I know at least one pharma plant that actually has in their employment contract that employees are prohibited from taking any other employment.
                        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                          why does it all have to be so complicated?

IMHO - If jonny comes to the gate to join he joins infantry. He complete his 3* training with the training unit just like in the PDF.
                          So are you suggesting an infantry-only reserve or only actually joining a unit after they have passed out as Pte 3* Line?

Comment

It's easy to complicate the recruitment process when you ignore the actual constraints ie the Gov/DOD/AHQ are not going to spend one extra euro if they can avoid it. And spending extra on the RDF is very easily avoidable.

The current system is far from perfect but it's all we have and there is nothing on the horizon to indicate that the Gov. will soon be flush.
                            I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                            Who is number 1?

Comment

It would actually be more efficient and cost effective and would lead to better retention in the long term (and hence much better VFM).

Comment

With all due respect and all that mullarkey - we do very little VFM in this country. Can't see it starting with the RDF.

I've been banging on about this for ages - the RDF are at the bottom of the DOD/AHQ list and I have that from a very good source.

I posted last year what the PDF priorties were, from the same source. Not necessarily in order of priority:
                                Recruitment
                                Overseas
                                Barrack closures
                                Manpower levels
                                Cap ex

That's where the focus is. The RDF just ain't on the radar.
                                I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                                Who is number 1?

Comment

Working...
                                X