Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should recruitment to the RDF be changed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should recruitment to the RDF be changed.

Currently as most RDF members will know recruitment is on hold. Now, if it is restarted, should it be centralized, like the Garda Reserve ? * which is still recruiting. *

Should joiners be posted to the unit ( like the marine corps , best people get their choice )

so we have .... joining ( enticement ) and then posting, if successful.
    Last edited by trellheim; 15 February 2011, 22:22.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Centralised definitely but at what level?:
    - unit
    - barracks
    - brigade
    - all army

AFAIK you apply to the GR at local level and it processed at that level with training at local/regional and centralised level.

It is also depends on the future organisation of the RDF. Personally I'm in 2 minds - centralised definitely either at unit/barracks (multi-unit) level or brigade level.

Comment

That would never work sending people to whatever unit. People join to do what they have an interest in, you can't exactly expect a person who wants to drive all the time be sent to the infantry unit, it wouldn't be long to have them 'go f**k this, this isn't what I wanted to do'. I know rifleman first and all that crap but, it is volunteering after all, if your not doing what you enjoy, you'll leave.
      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

That is one viewpoint only.

My own opinion :
        ... but you're volunteering to serve the state, not to serve as an infantryman or cannon cocker. WTF does it matter, you'll make friends wherever you go. or you won't. just like your own unit now. If you don't like it then leave.

Corps units should get a lot of manpower priority given their specialized nature, Tpt,CIS,Meds, in fact most of the CSS units.

See this from the viewpoint of it NOT being a happy clapper club but a state organization that needs people in certain spots - its not there to keep you happy.

People join to serve the state.

^^^^^^

all above my own opinion.

Comment

"I don't want to go the Infantry, I wanna be in LSB"

Sorry but you're a soldier, you'll do what you're told. If the kind of people that are being attracted are people who will turn around and not play ball if they don't get their own way, tell them to **** cause they're not worth a wank.

Comment

You would have to take a couple of things into account:

- individuals civilian expertise which they want to use (eg a doctor wants to be an MO)

- individuals civilian expertise which they don't want to use (eg a doctor who doesn't want to be an MO)

- geography - eg an individual from Donegal who doesn't mind doing their recruit training at Athlone but would prefer their home unit to be Finner not Galway.

Comment

no you wouldn't, there'd be no concept of "want" MO and Engr. offr. are special cases. Locn: reserve needs to be near a barracks. Grade people during training and thats the incentive- do well and you'll get the corps you want

Comment

yes.
                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                  yes.
                  Yes to what, RGJ ?

In answer to Dev's question (level: Unit, Bks, Bde, All Army), my opinion
                  is somewhere between Bks and Bde aswell, e.g; all Dublin based recruits train together
                  This was done when the first female FCA personnel were trained
                  (MPs, Signals, Tpt, Medics only initially) in 1990/1

As for unit selection, certainly consideration needs to be given to use of
                  personnel's civvy quals, if possible (a review of the candidate's enlistment
                  form - maybe also a more widespread questionnaire needed in addition
                  to flesh out information ?), to ensure suitable candidates go where required

Contrasting to this, as mentioned previously, some people want a CHANGE
                  from their civvy jobs, e.g; driving all week, so don't want to be driving at the
                  weekend too

The system currently is for units to recruit independently, so folks will go
                  where their interests / mates are. How efficient the units are will dictate
                  retention, but that's another discussion

If the system was to change, candidates would be going in with their eyes
                  open to the fact that they would not be guaranteed their first choice,
                  bit like the PDF in that respect. In fact, I can think of a mate who was
                  ex 7 FAR, enlisted in the PDF, was banging on about "I'm going to 2 FAR"
                  He ended up getting 2 Cav Sqn, did his five years and went back to his
                  old RDF unit. Barry and Turbocalves will know who I am referring to

I asked him approx a year into his service, on meeting him one evening
                  in the Bks, how he liked 2 Cav Sqn - his reply was that he loved it

Another consideration when posting personnel under such a system is the
                  geographical one. Not being a full time job, with some personnel not
                  having access to a car or being close to public transport, posting someone
                  from say Limerick to 31 Res Cav Sqn, would be a daft idea, as retention
                  would suffer in the long run
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                    Yes to what, RGJ ?

Another consideration when posting personnel under such a system is the
                    geographical one. Not being a full time job, with some personnel not
                    having access to a car or being close to public transport, posting someone
                    from say Limerick to 31 Res Cav Sqn, would be a daft idea, as retention
                    would suffer in the long run
                    Yes - to the title of the thread "Should recruitment to the RDF be changed".

i strongly agree fitness tests should be part of the requirement.

i however also feel that travel overseas with regular units should be feasable.

and if extra travel (to parade nights and weekends etc) is involved then this will no doubt be paid for at public expense, so travel should not be an issue unless it is an extremely time consuming journey.
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Centralised definitely but at what level?:
                      - unit
                      - barracks
                      - brigade
                      - all army

AFAIK you apply to the GR at local level and it processed at that level with training at local/regional and centralised level.

It is also depends on the future organisation of the RDF. Personally I'm in 2 minds - centralised definitely either at unit/barracks (multi-unit) level or brigade level.
                      Definitely brigade level.... the larger the pool of recruits standards can be more rigidly enforced etc... logistically it should be easier to organise.
                      I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                        That would never work sending people to whatever unit. People join to do what they have an interest in, you can't exactly expect a person who wants to drive all the time be sent to the infantry unit, it wouldn't be long to have them 'go f**k this, this isn't what I wanted to do'. I know rifleman first and all that crap but, it is volunteering after all, if your not doing what you enjoy, you'll leave.
                        Most RDF recruits dont realise when they are joining up that there are different corps in the RDF, I think put them where they are needed and once there is a vacancy they can apply for it, this could also result in an increased standard of corp unit personnel due to the fact that they are fully aware of what skill set they would like to achieve
                        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Ah you see of course with this approach you'd be told if for example if you can't make it to a barracks under your own steam in good time, you're probably not what we want. Why should it serve the guy applying - who cares about him ? he's the one who wants to serve.

Comment

This is all well and good Trell, but the RDF doesn't offer enough to compensate for the sacrifices that an individual makes in order to serve his/her country under those conditions.

There's no weeknight pay, no expenses, no employment protection and no operational role to work towards. The RDF is also competing for members against local college clubs, GAA, football, mountaineering, airsoft clubs etc. All of which do exactly what they say on the tin, seldom have the associated bullshit often found in the RDF and offer a sense of competition in the mix.

I agree that you're there to serve the RDF, not the RDF serving you. However, a structure of accommodating certain individual requirements needs to be addressed too seeing as the RDF is asking for an ad hoc voluntary commitment, not full time positions.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              Why should it serve the guy applying - who cares about him ? he's the one who wants to serve.
                              The RDF isn't exactly turning people away as it is, so why put in more obstacles to retention? It works in the PDF because if the unit you're based with is far away they'll give you accomodation in the barracks, but making a RDF man commute a stupid distance when there's another unit closer is just moronic.

Comment

Working...
                              X