Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Have you fed this back to the chain ?
    I think I already have with that post

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Excellent critique, S and S

Have you fed this back to the chain ?

Greyfox, in answer to your question, probably as long as us.....

One of our number is going onwards and upwards on another course, BTW...

Leave a comment:

• SwiftandSure
    replied
    Originally posted by DeV View Post
    What did you think of what you saw of it SAS?
    Well Dev, I'm guessing by that comment we've met, but haven't been formally introduced

Firstly, I'd start by saying that I'm far from qualified to critique the course, particularly as I was only there for the latter part of it; but I'd have the following opinion....

I thought the DS did well to allow the students to make their own mistakes. I'd often see a member of the DS asking the student what they were doing and regardless of whether it was right or wrong, let them crack on and judged them by their results. I was glad to see that rather than creasing the lads the moment they were steering in the wrong direction.

Two points that I thought would improve the exercise were:

Comms: (yes, I would say that) I think the Ex would have benefited from having an active Coy HQ element, (An Offr and maybe a CIS Pte) logging all the activity over the net and asking for various reports from the course (the logs would be reviewed in the after action review). I believe they tried something similiar during the PIA rehearsals, but it wasn't really communicated to the course. Proper comms should have been issued, we ended up making up our own frequencies and CSCs on the ground, rather than squaring it away during DSACRAWLER.
    PRRs should really have been issued too, it would have made the whole command and control of the PIAs more fluid. Waiting on runners was affecting the momentum of the attacks. (I'm sure there was a good reason for the lack of PRRs)
    I think the students would have benefited from understanding and operating within two tier communication networks, one providing the link to the Platoon, the other to the higher formation.

The Exercise: I found the exercise to be a bit fragmented and 2D. Maybe that's the way it was meant to be, but I would have preferred for the Ex to have been a set mission from start to finish, rather than a catalogue of exercises that needed completing. The rehearsals would have been the time to dust off the set pieces.

Maybe I wasn't privilege to it as a non course exercise troop, but I wasn't told who the En were, why they were the En, or what their intentions/mission was. (I wasn't going to question the orders either as the lads were on assessment )

If I were to plan the Ex, I would have had an active En on the ground, under direction of the DS, rather than people being brought in ad-hoc to fulfil En, giving the course a reason to be continually alert.

D-Day -1 Recce party heads out to recce patrol harbour. Course commanders requisition everything the platoon will need to be self sufficient for 2 days on the ground - comms, tpt, ammo, weapons, rations etc
    Full mission brief to whole Pln along the lines of: Situation: Wicklow Rambling Association have gone militant and are attacking anyone in the Glen of Imaal area which they consider their terriorty....etc. Mission: B Coy, 2 Pln tasked to destroy or capture the WRA....etc

D-Day Pln inserts to AO and are attacked shortly after DOP. PIA launched. Intel on body of KIA or POW indicates an En night patrol details. Harbour reached and established. Ambush recce'd and planned for that evening.

D-Day +1 Early hours deliberate ambush. "Civvies" walk through the kill zone first, testing the ROE and alertness of the course. Ambush sprung on En. Intel on POW/KIA indicates location of En HQ. Raid planned for D-Day +2 to capture/kill En leader and destroy WRA infrastructure. Recce patrols sent out. Water/Ammo resup patrols sent out. Standing patrols sent out. En Probing attack on harbour. Bug out to hasty harbour.

D-Day +2 Dawn raid on En HQ (lone tent somewhere). All WRA have been killed or captured. Pln move to PUP, Tpt back to base - ENDEX. All commanders submit written AARs and radio logs to be reviewed by DS.

Platoon commanders / Sgts would be rotated every 6 hours where possible. Same with section Commanders and 2i/cs.

Having an Ex that feels like an actual mission would be hugely beneficial to the course. If they went on the ground without something (e.g. spare SINCGAR batteries), they'd learn the hard way.

I think a raid, or deliberate attack would have been a better way to end the Ex. An ambush just didn't give that final 'Oomph' the course needed. A raid, followed by a tab out to a PUP would have been brilliant.

That's just my 2 cents anyway. Like I said, I'm far from eligible to critique the course.

I really enjoyed my time on the Ex and the lads on the course put in 100%. Fair balls to ye! It's comforting to know that the future generations of the RDF leadership are being put through challenging courses like that before earning their stripes. It'll give those coming up through the ranks, much like myself, something to aspire towards.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Originally posted by greyfox View Post
    congrad s to all , I wonder how long they will be waiting for promotion ?

Leave a comment:

• greyfox
    replied
    congrad s to all , I wonder how long they will be waiting for promotion ?

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    What did you think of what you saw of it SAS?

Leave a comment:

• SwiftandSure
    replied
    Congratulations to all those who passed the Standard NCO course! Well done!

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Duffman View Post
    I would advise any folks on this waiting list to try get their ITs and ARPs fired ASAP. As any drop outs may be due to lazy lumps not passing their ITs in time for course. So being pre-armed with yours may give you an edge in being picked.
    Also good advice....

Leave a comment:

• Duffman
    replied
    I would advise any folks on this waiting list to try get their ITs and ARPs fired ASAP. As any drop outs may be due to lazy lumps not passing their ITs in time for course. So being pre-armed with yours may give you an edge in being picked.

Leave a comment:

• RelaxTheBody
    replied
    Yes there were 13 more people than places on the day. However some of the people that had actually been nominated for the course never turned up. Which means they are off the course, and so that frees up a certain number of spaces.

They said get your nominations in soon.

Vamp yes it was a intro very much like the one for the pots except a little more relaxed!

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    See post 18 & 19

I think Relax the Body is trying to say there were more people than places and I doubt with the manday constraints that more places will be made

Leave a comment:

• Vamp369
    replied
    Feck,
    Such a simple but brilliant idea, thanks RGJ.

How many places need to be filled?
    I take it was just a basic intro?

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by flash bang View Post
    hmmm.........thats why you have to be nominated, not meaning to sound smart but there is a subs list also
    'Tis a valid point

Leave a comment:

• flash bang
    replied
    hmmm.........thats why you have to be nominated, not meaning to sound smart but there is a subs list also.
    Last edited by flash bang; 19 February 2011, 22:59.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X