Rangers put to test in plane hijack exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knocker View Post
    Apologies in advance if this borders on OPSEC. In the event of a CBRN incident , are there Gardai trained in CBRN to act as cordon security etc or would this fall to the army to provide the manpower and skills needed ?
    Yes, Some Units are Trained in CRBN..Not sure where they come in the grand scheme of things but they are trained.

Comment

Isn't the Civil service trained to take over CBRN duties?
      Life's short, party naked :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mad P View Post
        Dont you mean the civil defence?

I think there are only responsible for radiation monitoring
        I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

The civil service no longer do CRBN since the introduction of photocopiers.....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

But not on the days when they have to go and cash their cheques
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Thanks Cragg
              Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

As Liachta Cultaca said, the Civil Defence are only really trained for radiation monitoring and taking radiation samples to be brought the the RPII. There is no training for Chem/Bio stuff at least on a large scale, bar maybe through first aid on a general level. As for CBRN equipment, I have heard Civil Defence have some S10 respirators and suits on a national level, but have never seen/trained with an S10 through Civil Defence, so have no idea if its true.

Remember that the Fire Service and even some HSE are trained in CBRN so it would not just be the Gardai that could respond to an incident like that. I remember seeing a picture of a paramedic responding to one of the random anthrax scares that happened here during the whole anthrax phase after 9/11.

Comment

Fair point , the fire service could cope with some aspects of an incident but whats there to secure the area of a suspected dirty device ?
                  Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

AFAIK the Hse have sole responsibility for Biological incidents but may call on FS/DF for assistance. Fire Service are limited in response to CBRN, while they have Breathing Apparatus with are really suitable to short term decontamination ie chemical spills, the use of BA to mass decontamination is not practicable.

The Fire Service do not to my knowledge have respirators which are more suitable to the dirty bomb senario.

CBRN is not in the Fire Services area of reponsibility although imitally they looked to be involved

Comment

the suits the fire-fighters are wearing a fully gas tight suits designed to have the breathing apparatus worn inside the suit to protect from harmful environments.

they would be more than suitable for any CBRN incidents may be encountered by DF if co-responding from a protection point of view, however looks a different story for working in them. but then they have different requirements than DF do for our suits.
                      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

Fair point , the fire service could cope with some aspects of an incident but whats there to secure the area of a suspected dirty device ?
                        Inside the contaminated zone, it would be the Garda with CBRN gear being worn and in necessary DF (DF personnel can be deputised by a chief superintendent for up to 6 hours at a time).

Outside the contaminated zone it would be the Garda with CBRN gear at the ready and in necessary DF (DF personnel can be deputised by a chief superintendent for up to 6 hours at a time).
                        Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Cheers victor

Comment

It gives a very good indication of what the wings strength and their planning. And before anyone takes offence , i am not having a go at the army or the ranger wing I am just very surprised that so much information is given to the public domain.
                            I agree totally that this type of activity should have little or no publicity. The less your potential enemy knows about you and your capability the better. In fact it is great if they underestimate you and consider you as an impotent force. Advertising that you are highly efficient etc only makes your enemy prepare better.

Comment

MOD: What does any of this have to do with a ARW exercise!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudolf Neff View Post
                                I agree totally that this type of activity should have little or no publicity. The less your potential enemy knows about you and your capability the better. In fact it is great if they underestimate you and consider you as an impotent force. Advertising that you are highly efficient etc only makes your enemy prepare better.
                                I was replying to the topic of Ranger Wings excercise in Dublin airport. How did the dirty war stuff get in between??

Comment

Working...
                                X