What to expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunn1 View Post
    What should I expect during recruit training,I know it will be very hard but what is would a recruit actually be doing day to day,and what are the holidays,is it just weekends off and that's it
    7 months of pain .

Dont be worrying to much about the day to day stuff, just take it as it comes.
    The first two weeks are normally for 'introduction', getting the new recruits use to living in barracks and getting to know all the other strangers. The 3rd week is when recruit training really starts.
    The only "holidays" you may get is a few days off after passing out as a 2*.
    You will get out some weekends (normally from Saturday afternoon until Sunday evening) but you are better to expect being kept in every weekend as its very depressing thinking you might get out and then being kept in.

If you have any more questions I will be happy to answer them.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
      they pay you enough to fend off starvation,too.
      Barely
      CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Thanks for the replys lad,I'm a bit jealous I'm not goin to gormenston I heard it's a great place to train,what's Aiken like?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunn1 View Post
          Thanks for the replys lad,I'm a bit jealous I'm not goin to gormenston I heard it's a great place to train,what's Aiken like?
          Gormanston is a hole your better off in Dundalk its a much better barracks.

Comment

Nose and boots clean..will keep you out of the shit....

Its 16 weeks..keep the cool, shoot the breeze and learn the ropes...you have the rest of your days to become an auld sweat.

Enjoy it ...its better than the movies...
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              Hi there,
              You will encounter: decent people,stupid people, downright arseholes, mental deficients, showoffs, arselickers, regular people, mental midgets, the human and the inhuman. You will also encounter bureaucratic stupidity, military stupidity, racism, hatred of homosexuals/lesbians/travellers/culchies/dubs/foreigners/civvies,etc,etc. You will have fun, fear, be bored stupid, be frightened, show hate, feel hate, be very tired, dirty smelly and will have to do what every instinct will tell you not to; be nice to Dubs. they need it, for they are the speshul ones of the PDF.
              Apart from that, you get to shoot cool guns and trek over parts of Wicklow and Kildare normally only frequented by sheep, dogging couples and Rangers. and they pay you enough to fend off starvation,too.
              regards
              GttC
              Give that man a can of coke!

Top post....
              But there's no danger
              It's a professional career
              Though it could be arranged
              With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
              If you're out of luck you're out of work
              We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                Give that man a can of coke!

Top post....
                Agreed, excellent post GttC
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                  Nose and boots clean..will keep you out of the shit....

Its 16 weeks..keep the cool, shoot the breeze and learn the ropes...you have the rest of your days to become an auld sweat.

Enjoy it ...its better than the movies...
                  No its 28 weeks.

Comment

Dont know anything about pdf training in Aiken, but as a barracks its a grand spot, brand new gym just open in it aswell plenty of sound lads in it aswell as the odd wanker!! Enjoy it lad im more than a bit jealous, might see you around it on a wed night!!
                    Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                      No its 28 weeks.
                      Recruit training in the Irish army is 16 weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                        Gormanston is a hole your better off in Dundalk its a much better barracks.
                        When it comes to Recruit Training, I'd much rather Gormanston to Aiken or the Brugha.

Between the beach, the general are for runs, the airfield for fieldcraft etc. it's the best place in the East to train once there's a good Training Cadre in place.

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Stop being so bloody pedantic, the complete syllabus from Recruit to 3 Star Private isn't 16 weeks and well you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          plus 12 weeks 2-3*.
                          Training is 28 weeks flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                            When it comes to Recruit Training, I'd much rather Gormanston to Aiken or the Brugha.

Between the beach, the general are for runs, the airfield for fieldcraft etc. it's the best place in the East to train once there's a good Training Cadre in place.
                            I suppose we all have our favourites.
                            Dundalk is a grand spot, refurbished accommodation, good food, the best gym in the DF, the Red Barns range and the Cooley's.

Comment

Recruit training Syllabus is 16 weeks, always has been. At the end of the 16 weeks you begin continuation training.

I assumed you passed out on the square around week 16...I know I did and tens of thousands of others did.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                Recruit training Syllabus is 16 weeks, always has been. At the end of the 16 weeks you begin continuation training.

I assumed you passed out on the square around week 16...I know I did and tens of thousands of others did.
                                Training is 28 weeks.
                                Yes after 16 weeks I marched onto the square to be handed a 2* rank slider by the Battalion CO, but apart from those 2 stars notting changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X