What to expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect

What should I expect during recruit training,I know it will be very hard but what is would a recruit actually be doing day to day,and what are the holidays,is it just weekends off and that's it

holidays?? weekends off??? wrong job mate!
    WARNING: Consumption of alcohol may lead you to believe that ex-lovers are really dying for you to ring them at 4am!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snacker View Post
      holidays?? weekends off??? wrong job mate!
      +1
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The army is one big holiday, what more do you want?

I'm sure one of our PDFers on here will give you the low down, failing that, check your employment contract.

Comment

Chap asked a serious question- we tend to forget how little people know about the in's and out's of the job-

Gunn best of luck-

I am sure the likes of the young Soldiers on here will gladly answer (and rip the piss out of you)

Never be afraid to ask a question (as long as its not at 1625 or 1225)
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunn1 View Post
            What should I expect during recruit training,I know it will be very hard but what is would a recruit actually be doing day to day,and what are the holidays,is it just weekends off and that's it
            After a while-something like this.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Comment

Thanks Tim, I never thought to look up Bilko on you-tube. That's my day off sorted!
              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

With regards to the day to day stuff, throughout the day you'll be attending lectures, weapons training and training in the field as laid out on your training programme which you'll find out once you start with your platoon. On top of that you'll be doing at least one PT session a day, countless inspections and at night you'll be cleaning the lines, going over notes, preparing your kit for the next day etc.

The time you get off is completely at the discretion of the people training you. How your platoon conducts itself will ultimately be the deal breaker in time off. Perform well and your Platoon Commander may give you a day or weekend pass, **** up and you'll be listening to Father Bob at mass on Sunday.

Seriously, don't worry too much about what you'll be doing during training or what to expect. Just take it day by day and enjoy the experience. It can be a **** at times but come the end of it you'll have met some of the best friends you'll ever have and been through one of the best experiences of your life.

Enjoy every minute of it, you'll miss it when you're finished.

Comment

It will be like this but different-

Jasmine Company of the Israeli Defence Forces.

RENT ENTIRE FILM- $1.99 on AMAZON: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ENW1RU/ref=atv_dvd_mov_rentISRAELI MILITARY WOMEN:Israeli women soldiers - IDF- Israe...

You should watch this every night with your new mates before lights out, you never know, one day you might have to come to grips with them in Lebanon or Israel.
                  My favourite is the one with the luggage at 0:46
                  Last edited by timhorgan; 3 March 2011, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                    Thanks Tim, I never thought to look up Bilko on you-tube. That's my day off sorted!
                    Flamingo-I am going to spend some time myself catching up.Thanks

Comment

im starting on the XXX in gorm il be wacthin dis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nduo...eature=related

MOD: Operational info (the date your starting) is deleted
                      Last edited by DeV; 3 March 2011, 21:50.

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
                        It will be like this but different-

Jasmine Company of the Israeli Defence Forces.

RENT ENTIRE FILM- $1.99 on AMAZON: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ENW1RU/ref=atv_dvd_mov_rentISRAELI MILITARY WOMEN:Israeli women soldiers - IDF- Israe...

You should watch this every night with your new mates before lights out, you never know, one day you might have to come to grips with them in Lebanon or Israel.
                        My favourite is the one with the luggage at 0:46
                        ****ing hell! the bit on the range!!

Comment

Originally posted by collins View Post
                          im starting on the XXX in gorm il be wacthin dis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nduo...eature=related

MOD: Operational info (the date your starting) is deleted

My advice would be to save up and plan your next long leave for Israel- once you have done the "stations of the Cross" in Jerusalem head down to Beer'Sheeva-lots of lovely conscripts can be met at the McDonalds at the Bus station. Heading down towards the Jordan Valley Sedom is also interesting but I would not hang around there- it was mentioned in the Bible for certain fairly unusual practices and Eilat is always great.

Interesting insight from the American perspective here:

MOD: Keep to the thread or points will be issued
                          Last edited by DeV; 4 March 2011, 16:28.

Comment

Hi there,
                            You will encounter: decent people,stupid people, downright arseholes, mental deficients, showoffs, arselickers, regular people, mental midgets, the human and the inhuman. You will also encounter bureaucratic stupidity, military stupidity, racism, hatred of homosexuals/lesbians/travellers/culchies/dubs/foreigners/civvies,etc,etc. You will have fun, fear, be bored stupid, be frightened, show hate, feel hate, be very tired, dirty smelly and will have to do what every instinct will tell you not to; be nice to Dubs. they need it, for they are the speshul ones of the PDF.
                            Apart from that, you get to shoot cool guns and trek over parts of Wicklow and Kildare normally only frequented by sheep, dogging couples and Rangers. and they pay you enough to fend off starvation,too.
                            regards
                            GttC

Comment

Thanks for the replys lads,what's Aiken like to train in I actually tought I'd be goin to gormanston I heard that was the best place for training too so I'm a bit jealous ha

Comment

Working...
                              X