Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunner Who?
    replied
    I got a ride on an average once and found it very unsatisfactory.
    As to officers there are no average officers they are all individuals.
    So what I think of them is best dealt with that way.
    Some are remarkable men indeed, born soldiers, the very best that wear the green, a credit to the country, a credit to those who saw in them those qualities that make an officer. The courage to stand alone, the courage to stand in the face of fire and say "follow me" , the willingness to obey and the determination to be obeyed, the resolve to fight, kill the enemy and to survive.

I think a lot of them and was proud to serve with them whether as FCA or NBO and so should you.
    Last edited by Gunner Who?; 27 April 2005, 01:21.

Leave a comment:

• Gunner Who?
    replied
    Thank you all for your posts on this topic have enjoyed reading them. The topic goes to the heart of every army.
    I am a firm believer in promotion from the ranks. Many years ago some officers I did not know (the C.O. , the training captain ) called my over from my section (I was a one star Cpl) and told me they were putting me forward to the GOC for a commission. They were polite, they seemed very old to me then,my urge was to leg it and get as far away as I could from them. However something in their bearing touched me, I saw they were offering me an honour not given to many, that in some way they were saying I was good enough, that they would have trust in me to learn to lead men to battle.To be good enough to join them. They said my commission would be in three or four years time . that if granted was from the President. They certainly did not "offer" in terms like it was something that one said no to. and so I accepted
    Last edited by Gunner Who?; 27 April 2005, 01:01.

Leave a comment:

• happenin
    replied
    And finally without getting into a slaging match about them, what do you think of the average FCA officer?
    It'd be the first thread i've read that didn't degenerate into a slagging competition.
    Personally at the moment i wouldn't take the offer because i don't have enough experience yet. I want to excel at the position i'm at now. Then at sergent before i would consider the option. But if you turn down the offer, is there any gaurentee of it being offered again, if/when you do have the relevent experience???

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    They do not have to accept the nomination for the course.

Several Sgts I know have refused the nomination to serve with distinction as NCOs .

Year 1 is always "Death by lecture". Year 2 isn't .

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    I'm restraining myself..... i know of a junior officer who is ...shit i can't post this.........if the RDF want good junior officers find another way to select...but stop poaching good senior NCOs...you can have the poxy( bad corporals..not corporals i the whole ) corporals...but leave the thirty something sergeants alone!

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    Was talking to a student on what is now this years Pot Officers Course, ie last years Pre-Pot Officers Course. First year involved a field day, 2/3 weekends and 2 weeks. This year involves something like 8 weekends (he could have meant altogether, not sure) and another 2 weeks.

But he says it not that difficult, if you are good at taking in information by lecture.

Leave a comment:

• Norman
    Guest replied
    CQ you seem to know a lot about the course, are you a student on it?

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Stress "average".
    It is not unknown for certain individuals to be sent on this course the year after their Pot NCO course,which they done 2 years after joining the RDF.

Leave a comment:

• Come-quickly
    replied
    Eh the current course is running at 12 weekends and 4 weeks plus optional extras over two years AFAIK.
    Plus the average candidate has 7 years prior training and experience.

Leave a comment:

• JAG
    replied
    I would not accept a commission with less than 6 months training, full time, or at least a year of one weekend a month and one month full time (preferably two years).

Leave a comment:

• Docman
    replied
    I'm getting into the habit of digging up old posts and restarting them.

Thought this was a good one.

Ladies and gentlemen, would you accept a commission if offered and what do you think of Reserve Officers in General.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Officers the chosen few.many try but few are selected!

Having turned down the oppertunity on several occassions because uf my lack of self confidence I believe like in all jobs there are some good some bad but very few brilliant.

Junior officers sometime fail because the ir peers fail to realise that they are of a new thinking breed and as a result shit on their juniors as a result these guys sometimes loose interest and give up.
    A friend of mine who was an excellent NCO and is a top class officer has been totally demoralised by the treatment handed out from his peers because he can be out spoken on unpopular subjects.

What a waste of talent.

Leave a comment:

• Delta
    Guest replied
    Thanks a lot for your help bravo. I dont know if Id make it though.. I cant really read the letters on the chart without my glasses, but with them or my contact lenses I can read all of it.

It could go either way I suppose if I was to try go forward for the course some day.

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Yes it was.. about 3 years ago. I was asked to read the chart without my glasses and then with my glasses.

Leave a comment:

• Delta
    Guest replied
    Thanks for the info,
    Was that for the officers course? Im a little worse than that -3.75
    But Im 20/20 with contact lenses or glasses. Were you asked to take your glasses off before being tested?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X