Sciathán Fianóglach an Airm agus an tSeirbhís Chabhlaigh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sciathán Fianóglach an Airm agus an tSeirbhís Chabhlaigh

I have been invited to the annual Cavalry Parade in Hyde Park in a couple of Sundays time and to lunch afterwards. Last year I was told quite a good story (by a BA officer) about how the ARW once paid an unscheduled and surprise night-time visit to an Irish Navy ship and left a few "souvenirs". Red faces all round in the Navy apparently.

Of course this probably never happened and my BA friend was just having me on.

You will hear a similar story in every barracks in ireland.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
      I have been invited to the annual Cavalry Parade in Hyde Park in a couple of Sundays time and to lunch afterwards.
      you mean you are doing the catering for it?

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      You will hear a similar story in every barracks in ireland.
      ...and every Navy / RAF / Army establishment / vessel in the UK about how the SAS / SBS infiltrated it.

it's mostly true here and i'm sure it rings true in Ireland also, however i don't see why a British Army officer would be telling you about it happening to another Army when it is a regular occurrence on our own doorstep and nothing unusual for any decent SF soldiers to do.
      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 24 April 2011, 12:53.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

better the wing /sas/sbs do it than an actual enemy.

The usual one is the broke down truck/jeep etc. Driver calls to guardroom nearby to get water, carrying kettle to carry same. On being admitted to guardroom, produces pistol hidden in kettle, and informs guard commander that he has lost his guardroom.

We all know this scenario is impossible for reasons that need not be discussed here, but its a good story to tell gullible wet behind the ears, inexperienced privates on their first night of duty, to keep them on their toes.
        No wonder tim believed it.

Comment

Oh, good, so the Ranger who got an FN behind the ear one night, in the Don, was a figment of our imagination? Funny that
          regards
          GttC

Comment

He wasn't a ranger...

Not after that anyway

Comment

I have a rotten memory but as far as i remember it actually made it into the defence section of the phoenix magazine shortly after the incident
              Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Any more details on this Don incident, sounds interesting?

Comment

not on this forum you won't. Discuss the BA all you want though.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Knocker is probably remembering the same Phoenix story as I am, hardly OPSEC as the ARW and Naval diving bods are so familiar with each other, and it would be relatively easy for ARW divers to, e.g. swim up to the berths and plant a limpet mine.

Comment

I remember a story of how a green 2/Lt in Griffith Bks, thinking that the Tpr on the
                      beat was asleep, decides to creep into the beat area and surprise him

The said Tpr was VERY awake and gave him the butt of an FN between the eyes when he stuck his
                      head around the corner

The officer had the neck to try and charge the Tpr for assault !

The following morning, after hearing both sides of the story, the Bks OC
                      sent the Tpr home for his rest off day, and bollocked the 2/Lt from a very
                      great height !

Lesson learned...
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                      X