X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bit of Fun for Medics

its just a game...............

battlefield medic
    you are the medic in the foreward platoon of your coy, one of the section's of your platoon has been sent to recce for the advance of the coy, report's come in that the section has been ambushed with hmg, morter's and a/tk wpns by a superior force of enemy, your pln cmdr advance's to contact backed up by the other pln's of the coy, you are with the support element of your pln.

on arrival at the scene of the ambush you start immediate triage and find:

one man with head wound, brain matter exposed, resps 10 shallow, pulse unpalp, loc.

one man with traumatic amputation of both legs below the knee, blood vessal'd cauterised by the explosion, resps 26, pulse 130, alert with no pain.

one man with complete bruising to whole chest and abdo with obvious flail segment's, resps 32 and laboured, pulse 140 weak and thready, loc

one man with an evisceration , resps 26, pulse 120, screaming and in severe pain

three men severely traumatised mentally, they have some seemingly minor wound's but are not cooperating with you or their comrade's.

continue triage:

prioritise for evac:

the coy cmdr has dispached the remaining medics in the coy to you but you have to make do with the element's that you have due to the fighting that is going on to your front, there is a lot of battle debri so the engineer's are taken up with eod and making safe lane's, the casualty clearing station is 900m's to your rear and starlight is there.

while triaging a C/Q, 45-50yo callapse's clutching his chest, on exam no breathing no pulse.......

continue................give your answers, its only a laugh.

Last edited by jpb; 11 November 2003, 21:04.

Medics standard reply "I`ll just get the duty driver to bring you lot to Bricins"

Regards etc

Comment

Hrmmm dont u love triage

The traumatised ones can be watched by their comrades who appear to be around (from what i read anyway where it says not cooperating with their comrades)

PT 1 appears to be in cardiac arrest, if have spare bods get them doing CPR, if not leave him

PT 2 can wait, only has elevated pulse and resps (despite limb amputation ) Throw an available blanket over him - possible shock - priority 3 for evac

PT 3 needs immediate help so if another spare bod start arranging the pts hands (if he will hold still) to steady the flail chests and get in 100% O2 when available immediate evac. Use whatever moderately heavy objects u have to steady the flail chest

PT 4 needs a moist dressing over the evisceration and plenty of bulky dressing, elevate the legs and treat for shock. This is second priority for evan

The MI drop him im in the middle of a battlefield

How would u do it

Shane

I should point out I dont know Army Medic Equipment so aint got a clue whats available

Comment

The three trauma cases need to be got out of there first before THEY get hit and add to you problems. Plus they are definitely saveable.

Next in order of priority;

Flailed Chest

Evisceration

Traumatic amputee

Head wound

The CQ is toast. What's he doing that far forward anyway?
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

you do first aid ground hog

Comment

you do first aid ground hog

Nope. After I've used my field dressing your on your own. I'm a HMG instructor branching into Logistics in my old age.
            sigpic
            Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

should know you so.

Comment

A Bit Of Fun For Medics

The title of this thread could lead one into a false sense of security ie its only a bit of fun. However the scenario is in itself very serious and one which obviously requires a person of medical background to deal with.

If you can remedy the situation, enlighten us.

If you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing or go to general or the chat room.

Regards etc
                Last edited by Joshua; 12 November 2003, 16:36.

Comment

[MOD: Edited, read section guidelines]

They should be shot for walking into an ambush
                  As for the medical answers, ring the VHI helpline, medical staff on call
                  24 hours a day. all army medical kits should include a phone/callcard/loose money to make call.
                  Last edited by Joshua; 12 November 2003, 16:40.
                  hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Comment

All medical kits should include a medic who knows how to do their job

Comment

where are all the well trained RDF medics that were saying how great they are on "peoples view of medics" thread

Comment

The guy with the headwound is a goner. Ignore him until all others are dealt with.

Turn chest would guy on injured/worst side to assist breathing.

Stabilise the guy with the legs- torniquet & bandage heavily then release torniquet.

Go to the guy with the chest wqould and do some repair work

The screamer is okay until he stops screaming- leave him till other two are done with.

The dazed & confused- havbe them disarmed and brought somewhere quiet if possible (under restraint if necessary) and calmed down.

The heart attack ignore- he is not going to a cardiac care unity anytime soon enough.

For EVAC- 1- Legs; 2- Chest; 3: Screamer; 4&5 THe Dead men/lost causes.

Oxygen all round, if available

Cup of hot coffee & cigarette for the confused guys.
                        Take these men and women for your example.
                        Like them, remember that posterity can only
                        be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                        possession of those who have the
                        courage to defend it.
                        Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                        If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Oh and boomer- possibly the reason the resps & pulse of the amputee are slowing down is because he has lost so much blood. If he is not treated & fast he will die.

If the guy with the chest has respirations, he is getting oxygen, and will live for long enough for you to get to him
                          Take these men and women for your example.
                          Like them, remember that posterity can only
                          be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                          possession of those who have the
                          courage to defend it.
                          Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                          If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

jag,

i suggest you read the scenario again slowly befpore you correct someone or give advice, if you are a medic take a look at your protocols, and your evaluation's of shock,

good effort, but try again slowly.

keep safe.
                            Last edited by jpb; 13 November 2003, 20:09.

Comment

where are all the well trained RDF medics that were saying how great they are on "peoples view of medics" thread
                              I could sit here for hours discussing how to treat every one of those causalties but I just dont have the time.:D
                              If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Working...
                              X