questio RE camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questio RE camp

2 questions if the camps do go ahead this year (recruit camps)

they are a week long but if i need to leave one day early is this possible?

and how will this affect me.?
    If you don't like how things are, change it! You're not a tree. ~Jim Rohn

A man's worth is no greater than the worth of his ambitions."
    - Marcus Aurelius

Short answers:

Perhaps - depends on your sub unit commander, but I note you mention recruit
    camp, so with the compressed nature of same training on FTT, maybe not

You will probably (and rightly) forfeit a day's pay
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 13 May 2011, 03:43.
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

You would have to apply to leave early and your reason would determine what way it would be handled.

I'd recommend supplying appropiate evidence with your application and apply in plenty of time.
      Last edited by bunny shooter; 13 May 2011, 11:09.

Comment

Recruit camp scheduled for June in the East.
        Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure
          Is there a centralised recruit camp for the East?
          Current rationale is that Recruit Camp ion E Bde is being conducted according to the
          new RDF Recruit Syllabus
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

You're going to oxegen aren't you??

People who need to leave a few days early are ALWAYS going to oxegen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulll View Post
              2 questions if the camps do go ahead this year (recruit camps)

they are a week long but if i need to leave one day early is this possible?

and how will this affect me.?
              Just the following

1). I assume your mummy will be staying at a hotel nearby to look after you so you will have to let her know as well.
              2). Let your unit commander know so that he can cancel room service breakfast for you on the last day.
              3).Then rest assured that someone like yourself will not be missed because you quite clearly are so talented and clever that you can learn to be a soldier in just 5 days.
              4). Before you leave make sure that they tell you when you are going to be a General- this takes a bit more than 5 days so you will need as much notice as possible.

Thank you for your dedication to your country and your Army.

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
                Just the following

1). I assume your mummy will be staying at a hotel nearby to look after you so you will have to let her know as well.
                2). Let your unit commander know so that he can cancel room service breakfast for you on the last day.
                3).Then rest assured that someone like yourself will not be missed because you quite clearly are so talented and clever that you can learn to be a soldier in just 5 days.
                4). Before you leave make sure that they tell you when you are going to be a General- this takes a bit more than 5 days so you will need as much notice as possible.

Thank you for your dedication to your country and your Army.
                Was that necessary? You don't even know his reason for needing to leave early.

For example if i was told the dates for camp, and it was confirmed that they were final, and I saw that they did not conflict with say oxegen and i went off and paid a couple hundred euro on an oxegen ticket that is not refundable and then a few weeks later i was told that the dates were changed and the last day of camp conflicted with oxegen then you'd bet i'd be looking to skip the cleaning, packing stuff, folding linen and "getting out the gap before noon" that would happen on the last day.

Also i never knew it took 6 days to become a soldier as opposed to 5.....

Comment

Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
                  Was that necessary? You don't even know his reason for needing to leave early.

For example if i was told the dates for camp, and it was confirmed that they were final, and I saw that they did not conflict with say oxegen and i went off and paid a couple hundred euro on an oxegen ticket that is not refundable and then a few weeks later i was told that the dates were changed and the last day of camp conflicted with oxegen then you'd bet i'd be looking to skip the cleaning, packing stuff, folding linen and "getting out the gap before noon" that would happen on the last day.
                  Yes.
                  1). From the thread it seems that even the dates have not been fixed yet so why should he need to leave early if he does not even know the dates.

2). So you would be "looking to skip the cleaning"-but it is good enough for your colleagues to clean up after you so you can attend a concert. Hardly a good introduction to soldiering.

3).If all he wants to do is wear a uniform with flexible hours he should join MacDonalds or Pizza Hut- but then their recruitment criteria might be a bit too strict for him.

See how the Israelis do it.

Israeli Reserve service
                  After personnel complete their regular service, the IDF may call up men for:

reserve service of up to one month annually, until the age of 43–45 (reservists may volunteer after this age)

active duty immediately in times of crisis

In most cases, the reserve duty is carried out in the same unit for years, in many cases the same unit as the active service and by the same people. Many soldiers who have served together in active service continue to meet in reserve duty for years after their discharge, causing reserve duty to become a strong male bonding experience in Israeli society.

Although still available for call-up in times of crisis, most Israeli men, and virtually all women, do not actually perform reserve service in any given year. Units do not always call up all of their reservists every year, and a variety of exemptions are available if called for regular reserve service. Virtually no exemptions exist for reservists called up in a time of crisis, but experience has shown that in such cases (most recently, the 2006 Lebanon War) exemptions are rarely requested or exercised; units generally achieve recruitment rates above those considered fully-manned.Legislation (set to take effect by 13 March 2008) has proposed reform in the reserve service, lowering the maximum service age to 40, designating it as a purely emergency force, as well as many other changes to the structure (although the Defence Minister can suspend any portion of it at any time for security reasons). The age threshold for many reservists whose positions are not listed, though, will be fixed at 49.
                  Last edited by timhorgan; 14 May 2011, 06:23.

Comment

The joining instructions for most courses state "leave will be granted in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances only!"

Comment

Yes.
                      1). From the thread it seems that even the dates have not been fixed yet so why should he need to leave early if he does not even know the dates.
                      And if you read the OP he said "IF I need to leave". In other words in case it clashes with whatever important thing he is already committed to.

He didn't even say he was going to leave early, the guy was only asking a question.

2). So you would be "looking to skip the cleaning"-but it is good enough for your colleagues to clean up after you so you can attend a concert. Hardly a good introduction to soldiering.
                      Doesn't matter if it was a concert or not, for all you know it could be a date for a wedding, a doctors (or a surgical) appointment or even a repeat test for his leaving cert or something.

You didn't even know what it was before you started patronising him.

If a fella had spent that much on an oxegen ticket then I'd understand if he wanted to leave a day early and I'd think it would be fair. And I'd know because I just happen to be one of those colleagues who agreed to clean up for them last time i was at a recruit camp (doing admin) when about 8 lads (probably more, not all of them recruits) had booked tickets for oxegen and had to leave on the evening of the 2nd last day of camp.

3).If all he wants to do is wear a uniform with flexible hours he should join MacDonalds or Pizza Hut- but then their recruitment criteria might be a bit too strict for him.
                      One of the main reasons a person joins the reserve is because they have other commitments which prevents them from joining the PDF. You can't expect people to put all their major commitments on hold just for a 1 week recruit camp that doesn't even have a set date. Obviously people should dedicate a good part of their time to the reserve when they can but it does NOT mean it should take priority over everything else.

Try forcing this ideal on everyone and I'll think you'll find that there will not be that many people left. And that goes for any part time organisation.

You'll find many people on this forum who can't attend a lot of camps, training nights, field days, etc because of personal commitments but that does not mean they don't take pride in the reserve.

Every single year dates are changed with very little notice and people criticize new recruits coming in because they put their education above the RDF (which is the right thing to do) or people with jobs because they can't get the time off.

God know's how many times I've booked off work to attend a field day only for the date to be changed without notice and then I can't get the time off for it, and not only that but i can't get back the dates i've booked off so i lose out on quite a bit of that weeks income, which i can tell you is a VERY big portion of my weekly hours because i work 15hour shifts only during the weekend. On 2 occasions i've lost basically an entire weeks wages because i booked a weekend off for exercises that were cancelled with only a few days notice and then when the exercise is rescheduled i can't attend it because work won't give me the time off. Would you say I'm not dedicated?

So before you bash someone because they are concerned that they may need to leave a day early for another commitment maybe you can think about what exactly that commitment actually is, and maybe think to yourself how many other peoples are effected and how this could have been avoided if someone would actually set the damn dates in stone for once.

See how the Israelis do it.
                      I really don't care how the Israeli's do it because this isn't Israel and we don't have conscription. Unfortunately Tim the RDF is an all volunteer force.
                      Last edited by spaceghetti; 14 May 2011, 08:56.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
                        If a fella had spent that much on an oxegen ticket then I'd understand if he wanted to leave a day early and I'd think it would be fair.
                        Fair to who?
                        The taxpayer who still has to pay him because he is on leave?

As for the rest I would agree with you

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Fair to who?
                          The taxpayer who still has to pay him because he is on leave?

As for the rest I would agree with you
                          Fair for the person needing to leave. I mean they had spent that much only for the dates to be changed to clash with it which wouldn't be their fault.

Also i would expect them to be docked a days wages no? That would make sense to me. I don't see how it would come back on the tax payer.

Every year camp clashes with oxegen and you get lads who've bought tickets already that would want to go to it.

It's the same situation as having majority of field days and exercises in the run up to the summer and expecting people with exams to be able to attend all of them.
                          Last edited by spaceghetti; 14 May 2011, 09:08.

Comment

i dont mind being docked pay, if i didn't deserve it i wouldn't take it.

i was just thinking the majority of training would be done during the week and Sunday would be different.

- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

oh yeah i aint going to oxygen

- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                              X