Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OG Spray Paint???

Hi lads,

just purchased a few small items that I intend to bring on the ground (not just on ex's but also on my own hiking etc) nothing major but I want to paint them O.G. if possible.

What paint is best to use on (a) plastic and (b) fabric that will be hard wearing enough not to dissolve in our weather!!?

id prefer spray paint if possible

"He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

You should use acrylic paints usually available in car accesories such as hallfords which are quite good, while not exactly OG shade specific you'll get something close enough.

For acryllic paints ..use acrylic primer... acrylic and enamel won't sit well and will react if you mix them

Also to add a durable finish an Acrlic clear lacquer or varnish to kill any shine from paint.

If using aerosol shate well before use and heat the can gently in a basin of hot water for more even coverage during spraying.

If you want to use multiple coats ensure you prepare each coat by a wipe down with sime very fine grade wet and dry paper removing any dust with warm water.

Acrylic is water based so its relatively harmelss but wear a mask in case.

Allow paint to cure between coats and finishes..minimum of 24 hrs....other wise it won't last.

Temperature and humidity affect drying times , warm and dry being optimal.

If you go down the enamel route, same basics apply.. just full respiratory protection and longer drying and curing times.

Will work on plastic and metal once the surface is prepared correctly by cleaning it of any dirt or grease and laying the correct primer.

Have fun.

fabric that will be hard wearing enough not to dissolve in our
    Fabric depends on what the material is. Do not use spray paint on fabric as it will destroy the properties of the fabric and could lead to a break down in the composition of the material if it is man made.Ther other eaction is that it may stiffen the fabric and make it unsuitable for purpose.

If it is a natural fabric ...dying is your best answer...Inks are also fair hard wearing when it comes to changing the colour of fabric.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 18 May 2011, 14:43.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
      Hi lads,

just purchased a few small items that I intend to bring on the ground (not just on ex's but also on my own hiking etc) nothing major but I want to paint them O.G. if possible.

What paint is best to use on (a) plastic and (b) fabric that will be hard wearing enough not to dissolve in our weather!!?

id prefer spray paint if possible

Krylon spray paint is great for most items. On fabric its a bit hit and miss but will work.
      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Some paint will attack plastic so try a patch test first and let that dry properly, don't rush it.

Comment

Krylon spray paint... available here in shops or would i need to buy online?
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
            Krylon spray paint... available here in shops or would i need to buy online?
            Online only as far as I know but its very popular with airsoft types over here so you may find on of their suppliers stocks it.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzle View Post
              Online only as far as I know but its very popular with airsoft types over here so you may find on of their suppliers stocks it.
              I know I got mine out of that Airsoft shop up in Dundalk......hay
              To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Acid dye for man made fabrics such as nylon and polyester.

Can order it on line. Dylon I think went out of manufacture but were def the best imo.
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

One of the airosft sites sell Krylon Ultra Flat paint.

I got a few cans before for spraying things. It's good stuff.

EDIT: Nevermind, they're out of stock with the OD Green color. They had them before.
                  Last edited by spaceghetti; 19 May 2011, 14:17.

Comment

Just use the DPM spraypaint,

have a look HERE
                    Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

the army surplus place in Midleton and Killarney has spray paint but not sure of the base, but i wud agree in acrlyic based paint being the way to go, you can get them in spray form can't you? never used spray cans myself

Comment

Working...
                      X