Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What range do you zero your rifle for?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What range do you zero your rifle for?

    100m: Well suited to the type of operational duties that the defence forces undergo within Ireland

    200m: Most of the ARPs and DF rifle competitions are carried out at 200. Plates are also at 200.

    300m: What the manual says and what the zeroing targets are made for.

    (I've used metres even though most Irish shhoting ranges are probably in yards)
    44
    100m
    25.00%
    11
    200m
    38.64%
    17
    300m
    36.36%
    16
    other
    0.00%
    0
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

  • #2
    Kilcoran and Kilworth were converted to Metres some years ago.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SwiftandSure
      I prefer to zero at 200m, although I seem to remember zeroing at 30m in the BA for the likes of guard duty and what not.
      Thats cos you had a wonky british rifle and not the creme of Austrian engineering.


      Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

      Comment


      • #4
        I`ve zerod a rifle on a 25 Meter range a few times, however I much prefer the 100 meter range.

        Comment


        • #5
          Normally, in the df, everything is done according to what is laid down in the manual.

          It's interesting to see that only about 20% of people would zero their rifle as per the manual.

          (still early days of course and not all voters are in the Irish df but low all the same)

          ps: the question is not what range you zero the rifle AT but what range you zero it FOR, though ideally these would be the same
          Archimedes
          gunner at heart
          Last edited by Archimedes; 26 May 2011, 15:41.
          Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

          Comment


          • #6
            is there enough of a deviation in the trajectory of the round between 100 and 200m to make a difference between the two ? personally I think not esp given the lack of a definite point of aim .

            in the event of having to fire at 400m zeroing the rifle to 200m will cause a mass of mathematical problems , the rings advantage is you don't have to think about this out to the rifles effective range ,

            I zero for 300 , but im no marksman, I normally hit what I aim at though .

            Originally posted by SwiftandSure
            I prefer to zero at 200m, although I seem to remember zeroing at 30m in the BA for the likes of guard duty and what not.
            would it have been at 25m ? given the trajectory of the 5.56mm means that the point of impact meets the line of sight at 25m and 300m .allowing for the rifle to be zeroed for 300m.
            "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

            Comment


            • #7
              I find that one its zeroed at any range i can hit what I want because I was taught how to shoot.

              Comment


              • #8
                I zero 15cm high at 100 unless I'm going shooting plates

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by greyfox View Post
                  is there enough of a deviation in the trajectory of the round between 100 and 200m to make a difference between the two ? personally I think not esp given the lack of a definite point of aim .




                  This data is calculated from a public domain tool and not taken from a manual. It's probably off a small bit but gives a good idea of the trajectory.
                  Attached Files
                  Archimedes
                  gunner at heart
                  Last edited by Archimedes; 27 May 2011, 10:24. Reason: graph added
                  Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Kilbride
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dear god that's bad !!!!!!!
                      “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
                      ― Thucydides

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i was surprised to hear that my friend who left 27th Batt to join the Rifles had never fired at 400m before doing so in training with us.
                        RGJ

                        ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

                        The Rifles

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                          i was surprised to hear that my friend who left 27th Batt to join the Rifles had never fired at 400m before doing so in training with us.
                          Doctrine learnt from combat engagements in Vietnam and The Falklands indicated that the majority of combat engagements happened at 200m-50m.
                          The longer range stuff was left to guns on wheels, bipods or tripods.
                          However that is not to say that longer gallery ranges don't exist, but the majority are 300 only.


                          Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            Doctrine learnt from combat engagements in Vietnam and The Falklands indicated that the majority of combat engagements happened at 200m-50m.
                            The longer range stuff was left to guns on wheels, bipods or tripods.
                            However that is not to say that longer gallery ranges don't exist, but the majority are 300 only.
                            modern combat says otherwise - hence the new Sharpshooter rifles we have at section level and the regular range work we do at 400m with the A2.
                            RGJ

                            ...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

                            The Rifles

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              modern combat says otherwise - hence the new Sharpshooter rifles we have at section level and the regular range work we do at 400m with the A2.
                              Perhaps the next personal weapon we select will reflect this.


                              Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X