Yes
    12.20%
    No
    9.76%
    With 6 months training,yes.
    68.29%
    Wheres Liberia, is that near the Glen?
    9.76%

a lot more training is clearly needed for the rdf to go overseas, after this i think they would be ready

Comment

With regard to the "role" ....I am an INF private in the RDF. However I am a fully qualified engineer....If I was sent to Liberia (or anywhere else ) would I be expected to do the job of an engineer or an INF private?

Comment

Think About It

Reverse the question, does your boss expect you to do the work of a private?

If you were "sent" you would be expected to perform as a private.

If you applied for a technical position and were successful, you would be expected to perform as a techie.

Regards etc
        Last edited by Joshua; 15 November 2003, 05:57.

Comment

Joshua,is it not the right road to take if a guy is an engineer then use them in that capacity,I am sure the TA's in Iraq are used in the areas of their profession.

If the Army need Engineers,cooks,solictors,postmen,EMT's etc etc then draw them from the RDF and swallow their pride.

Comment

From a TA perspective the reserves should be ready to move . If they have done enough training and attented enough courses etc. If a soldier turns up for training every weekend and completes his battle camp then he would be classed as able to do his/ her job, the same could and should be said about RDF. In the TA you have to complete at least 27 days including annual camp to get your COs certificate this entitles you to the annual bounty. Any soldier who has his certificate is more likely to be called up to serve on operations etc.

Comment

RDF infantry wont be going overseas only drivers and engineers from what i've heard.

Comment

And MEDICS. But I am sure that in the future RDF Inf will be going over seas.
                If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Given that PDF are deemed capable of overseas service after 6 months training, why on earth would RDF not be capable? Although possibly not to serve in their RDF ranks- no way could you train someone up to, say, captain or seargeant in six months.
                  Take these men and women for your example.
                  Like them, remember that posterity can only
                  be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                  possession of those who have the
                  courage to defend it.
                  Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                  If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Why not if theyre sufficiently capable already, an assesment system would be far more practical than a blanket system of rank reduction.
                    The need for attaining operational status within a six month supplementary training period should be reflected in career courses as far as possible int he future but even as it stands some of us are recognisably capable of fulfilling all the tasks of our rank; the six months should be spent on refreshing training and adapting for theatre specific needs it would not and could not be used as a basic training program to create a soldier or officer where there wasnt one before.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

IN the TA once you get your call up your the armies until they dont need you. You must drop all plans and go. Just ask my cousin, your going to Iraq on the (date) like it and love it sgt
                      Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                      http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Not quite true Thorpe you are usually deployed for a 6 months tour or a 3 month emergency tour. the emergency tour was used at the beginning of the war in Iraq (Op Telic 1). Op Telic 2 is now under way, the length of tour is 6 months, however if a soldier wishes to volunteer for a year he can but it is not compulsary. A number from my unit have served and are serving at this present time in the Basra area.

Comment

Working...
                        X