Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RDF FT Annual Training 2011 (Split from My Fitness Logs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF FT Annual Training 2011 (Split from My Fitness Logs)

Originally posted by SwiftandSure
    Unfortunately, we're not doing tactics on camp this year (apparently, the higher ups were worried the camp wouldn't appeal to the masses if we were getting dirty - don't get me started! ) so all my running around Saggart Hill in full CEFO has been for sweet feck all.
    That makes no sense, at all.

Looks like your higher ups had a "good idea" as it were. Leaders are prone to "good ideas", or so experience has thought me.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
      Its the RDF, sense doesnt come into it. My 2nd last camp consisted of little more than an excuse to go boozing
      Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
        It depends on what is being done, look at it this way, practically all PDF courses are at least 5 days, all/most RDF camps are 7 days. The one thing we are always short of is time.

The could be doing continuation training on signals, first aid or rifle marksmanship for example.

Comment

MOD: This thread has been split from "My Fitness Logs". Just be conscious of OPSEC
          "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Were having an adventure training camp this year for the 3 stars. last year we did survival training and rock climbing. I personaly think we should practice for the assesments.

Comment

A good mix of both would sound like more sense an ex of some sort even a 24hr to try and keep the drills sharp coupled with some shooting and a bit of adventure training or orienteering try and keep it some way military orientated
              Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

S&S, your right about no bang bangs, but I am assured everyday a few will be doing to the special place where bang bang goes on inside

Comment

Originally posted by koppiteal View Post
                  Were having an adventure training camp this year for the 3 stars. last year we did survival training and rock climbing. I personaly think we should practice for the assesments.
                  Yes, but that requires money for the appropriate expendables, which I hear in some places is in very short supply.

Although I do wonder when I hear that such-and-such is cancelled because there was no accommodation available. What, exactly, do people think tents and ration packs are for?
                  Last edited by Guest; 5 June 2011, 22:47.

Comment

Originally posted by swiftandsure
                    lads, to be honest, i joined an infantry unit, not the boy scouts.

While i won't argue that adventurous training isn't applicable military training, we should really be focusing what precious ftt time we have into military training within our respective roles of responsibility. It's what we should be being paid to do.

Voluntary training weekends should be used for the likes of rock climbing and kayaking to reward the dedicated few.

Paying camp rats to attend a week's adventure jolly at the taxpayers expense just seems to me to be irresponsible and poor man management.

Plus it really fúcks me off that we're not exercising our capabilities as a defence force!
                    1+ s&s

ssdd

Comment

Lads, to be honest, I joined an infantry unit, not the boy scouts.

While I won't argue that adventurous training isn't applicable military training, we should really be focusing what precious FTT time we have into military training within our respective roles of responsibility. It's what we should be being paid to do.

Voluntary training weekends should be used for the likes of rock climbing and kayaking to reward the dedicated few.

Paying camp rats to attend a week's adventure jolly at the taxpayers expense just seems to me to be irresponsible and poor man management.

Plus it really fúcks me off that we're not exercising our capabilities as a Defence Force!
                      Good post.

I was thinking that, because the camp rats really don't seem to care about grat (they just want the camp money), you should have to do so many night parades/field days to even get near a camp. Even then grat should be dependent on other things too...and if this is already the case, it's certainly not being pushed through.
                      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                      He put a bullet through his brain.
                      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Lads, to be honest, I joined an infantry unit, not the boy scouts.
                        Fair enough but what "on sylabus" and "in budget" activities would be able to fulfil the expectations of 3*s?

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                        camp rats really don't seem to care about grat (they just want the camp money).
                        This confuses me:
                        Firstly the "camp rats" don't want to scratch their own arses so why would the go on a camp where everyone has to work as one would be expected to on such a camp.
                        Secondly grat is where the money is. of course they want the grat.

Plus it really fúcks me off that we're not exercising our capabilities as a Defence Force!
                        Capabilities??
                        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                          Firstly the "camp rats" don't want to scratch their own arses so why would the go on a camp where everyone has to work as one would be expected to on such a camp.
                          I've seen plenty over the years who cry off on LD the first morning.
                          Last edited by Guest; 6 June 2011, 21:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                            I was thinking that, because the camp rats really don't seem to care about grat (they just want the camp money), you should have to do so many night parades/field days to even get near a camp. Even then grat should be dependent on other things too...and if this is already the case, it's certainly not being pushed through.
                            There already is a minimum requirement of trg night/field day attendance required for
                            eligibility for attendance at paid FTT

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                            Fair enough but what "on sylabus" and "in budget" activities would be able to fulfil the expectations of 3*s?

There are continuation training syllabi in place for this purpose
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                              There are continuation training syllabi in place for this purpose
                              The question was "what training" not what's the prescribed training.

There are many things that could be done but can't be done due to the many restrictions such as lack of necessary equipment, not being in an appropriate training area etc.

I am sure S&S has some Ideas. i am just asking what he thinks would be a good use of the FTT.
                              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Working...
                              X