They Don't Like It Up 'Em!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Don't Like It Up 'Em!

What are your thoughts on the current training/usage of the bayonet in the DF?

Are they obsolete? Purely a psychological weapon? Just something else to carry?
    With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

All for it me - Give 'em the old cold steel!!
    Live long and prosper!

Comment

Physcological.

Frighten the shit out of the enemy. Gives you a weapon that never runs out and never jams.

Bayonet training is also a great aggression inducer.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      Originally posted by hedgehog
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

The steyr bayonet is apparently quite practical as a cutting tool,barb wire etc....
        Though when would you really need to cut barb wire? Do it in Kilworth and you'll have sheep all over the place...do it in combat and the sound of the wire twanging as the tension is released could be heard for miles at night...
        I think it was the israelis who came up with a rather practical attachment to their bayonet....
        A Bottle opener! Ideal for opening a few cold ones while celebrating Yom Kippur on the gaza strip no doubt...
        The Bayonet is a useful knife,but most kit lists include more useful blades such as a KFS or Leatherman/Gerber, which are far more suitable for any purpose(My leatherman wave has a pliers/wire cutter included,and fits in next to my combat Jacket pocket)
        Still though..when all else fails,you're out of rounds,and harry Hun/jerry/ahmed is overrunning your position,would you prefer to fight him off with
        (a) Leatherman multitool
        (b) Knife/Fork/spoon that clip together in a tidy pouch
        (c) Steyr Bayonet 10 inch blade with serrated edge

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Here you go :-)

"The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Rifles may jam and bullets may fail, but you can always rely on good old Mr McStabby.
            Also try getting a company across a fence without noise
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Personally speaking i'd like to be kept far enough away as to not have to use a bayonet.

Comment

Is that Pte Rabby Mc Stabby the Scotish soldier boy.

Comment

Apparently the Steyr AUG was't designed originally to mount a bayonet. the Austrians seemingly don't believe in them. It was added for export orders.
                  With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Comment

I remember watching a program on training in the BA, the recruits were using the SA80 with bayonet attached and the blades kept snaping when they were stuck in the dummy.
                    Apparently the jist was that the sight of the bayonet is a phyc thing, and that if you ever get close enough to use a bayonet your in trouble anyway.
                    But considering the problems the British had with the SA80 the bayonet was probally the only thing the SA80 had going for it!

"Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Comment

The practical implications of the bayonet are very real and very simple, forget about what some C&S reading nob flogger spouts about it, like groundhog said a bayonet never runs out.
                      As for snaping the bayonets, most knives use a single piece of steel for the blade and handle, whereas the bayonet fitted to the Steyr has two pieces of metal welded together at the hilt.
                      Having broken more than one bayonet in training I suspect that this break might be the emergency exit for the silly pte who sticks their bayonet into bone.
                      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

They dont break that easily - I saw a recruit run at a sandbag suspended from a tree - he ran at it full force and lodged the blade a couple of inches into the tree. It took the recruit and the Sergeant to swing out of it to release it from the tree. The blade was fine!
                        Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir"
                        without adding, "You're making a scene."

Comment

Please refrain from suspending RDF personnel from trees and using them for bayonet practice.

Regards etc
                          Support the Search Function.

Comment

The experience of British troops in the Falklands was one of Psychological impact with many Argentines running rather that get into close combat. British troops did not relish the fact either but better morale and training meant that they did close with the enemy.

There were many occasions when the bayonet was used. In the confusion of night fighting and the melee that occurred, many argentine trenches were bypassed and a close quarters battle in depth usually occured. Troops became intermingled. British officers found that the bayonet was extremely useful due to its personal nature- you were sure of your enemy. An automatic burst or grenade in a confined area in the dark could have easily hit troops from either side as british forces swept past argentine trenches.

A bayonet has its uses. In battle, the prospect of hand to hand fighting is a remote and unrelished consideration, but it is a possibility and must be catered for. The tendancy nowadays is to make the bayonet a multi function tool so that its carriage is necessary, but it's primary role still is as a bayonet.

Comment

Dont know how accurate this is, I heard that there is biological agents in the bayonet, the theory is that when you cut them if the cut doesnt kill them they will die of infection or something?:confused:
                              If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Working...
                              X