https://mobile.twitter.com/defencefo...R1orrrk7gMuSHg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dfmagazine/albums/72177720299617293
    Last edited by DeV; 7 June 2022, 21:15.

Comment

• Ukrainian crew* getting a M777 out of action in 80 seconds

* appears to be approx 12 personnel not normal crew of 8

https://twitter.com/nicholadrummond/...wFdoF7piKZgqDQ

Comment

• Could be operational but just as likely a vid during training. Looks like they are using "dumb" optical sights (like ourselves) rather than a digital self orientating system. (possibly M137) I wonder if it causes problems with half of their arty corps using soviet Mils (6000) and the other half using NATO mils (6400)
        Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• Can I ask? Why in this day and age do we not have self
          propelled artillery
          "Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well." -Craig Stadler

Comment

• Originally posted by gaff85 View Post
            Can I ask? Why in this day and age do we not have self
            propelled artillery
            We largely don’t have APC mounted infantry either

SP Arty is needed for manoeuvre warfare, being able to more quickly escape counter-battery fire is a secondary advantage of it

Comment

• We barely have armoured cavalry.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Upgrades available for 105mm

https://www.baesystems.com/en-media/...4610546921.pdf

personally I’d stick with it for now at least and upgrade

Comment

• I believe it has not been possible to tow our guns for some time. If this upgrade is to be done, then perhaps a full upgrade is necessary. There is zero chance of any being replaced any time soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                    I believe it has not been possible to tow our guns for some time.
                    That's a pretty damning, if short, statement to make! If true, then DF has effectively zero arty capability at the minute. A bit like saying the infantry have no rifles.
                    I've said many times here, towed arty is obsolete and we operate a 19th century arty organisation.
                    Definitely time to move arty to entirely SP guns and come into 21st century ability.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

Comment

• The 120Mm mortars can be towed. Last I heard though, it was safer putting a 105 on a DROPS pallet or low loader if going anywhere though. Gunners may understand better. I'm reluctant to say too much.
                      More like saying the rifles are there, but have no slings or carrying handles.

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post

That's a pretty damning, if short, statement to make! If true, then DF has effectively zero arty capability at the minute. A bit like saying the infantry have no rifles.
                        I've said many times here, towed arty is obsolete and we operate a 19th century arty organisation.
                        Definitely time to move arty to entirely SP guns and come into 21st century ability.
                        120mm’s

the Ukraine shows the utility of towed arty

Dev’s 2 cents:
                        towed arty has utility where camo, concealment, rapid in & out of action times, ISTAR assets are employed effectively and a short kill chain

Comment

• The 105s can,and are,being towed by our new Scania P-370s. The Drop shorts even got a special version of the truck modified for Arty use.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• [QUOTE=apod;n736552]The 105s can,and are,being towed by our new Scania P-370s. The Drop shorts even got a special version of the truck modified for Arty use.[/QUOTE]

So that initial issue was eventually ironed out then...?

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                              The 105s can,and are,being towed by our new Scania P-370s. The Drop shorts even got a special version of the truck modified for Arty use.
                              Some, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X