No announcement yet.

New Generals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer of appointment ceremony today in McKee Bks.
    With the Gathering storm following the Women of Honour documentary, and the baggage surrounding the Current minister for Defence, definitely a good time to slip out as quietly as possible.
    It will be a long 6 months ahead.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Looks like the retiring COS has been awarded a DSM with honour

https://twitter.com/jimlangford63/st...905101824?s=21
      Last edited by DeV; 30 September 2021, 11:23.

Comment

• I wish the outgoing COS every best wish. He was always a service man of utmost loyalty while working with me. and deserved his space in the history of the Navy and the PDF. Most matters of derailment within the PDF were occasioned by management demands to restrict capital and current budgets , often by deletion of capacity structures and run down of manpower. In DF where there is a fully integrated female component the occasions for male/female contacts are too numerous if working from standard drills manuals in all basic instruction for recruits etc. It seems to me that to meet comfort requirements females should be inducted and trained separately by females. They should be billeted separately and carried on ships, only, with a capacity to carry females with separate services provided.
        Last edited by ancientmariner; 30 September 2021, 09:35.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
          I wish the outgoing COS every best wish. He was always a service man of utmost loyalty while working with me. and deserved his space in the history of the Navy and the PDF. Most matters of derailment within the PDF were occasioned by management demands to restrict capital and current budgets , often by deletion of capacity structures and run down of manpower. In DF where there is a fully integrated female component the occasions for male/female contacts are too numerous if working from standard drills manuals in all basic instruction for recruits etc. It seems to me that to meet comfort requirements females should be inducted and trained separately by females. They should be billeted separately and carried on ships, only, with a capacity to carry females with separate services provided.
          The solution to lads being creeps is not separating the women out from everyone else

Comment

I wish the outgoing COS every best wish. He was always a service man of utmost loyalty while working with me. and deserved his space in the history of the Navy and the PDF. Most matters of derailment within the PDF were occasioned by management demands to restrict capital and current budgets , often by deletion of capacity structures and run down of manpower. In DF where there is a fully integrated female component the occasions for male/female contacts are too numerous if working from standard drills manuals in all basic instruction for recruits etc. It seems to me that to meet comfort requirements females should be inducted and trained separately by females. They should be billeted separately and carried on ships, only, with a capacity to carry females with separate services provided.
            By far and away the most ridiculous post I've read on here in a long time, you're really displaying your lack of relevance to the 21st Century Irish military with this one. Maybe stick to the corvette stories.

Comment

They should be billeted separately and carried on ships, only, with a capacity to carry females with separate services provided.
              I would assume that as on land, females are billeted separately on all NS vessels and have separate ablutions on board.

and still that doesn’t deter some MALES

Comment

• Originally posted by Egbeygia View Post

By far and away the most ridiculous post I've read on here in a long time, you're really displaying your lack of relevance to the 21st Century Irish military with this one. Maybe stick to the corvette stories.
                Nicely put but doesn't explain the emergence of "Women of Honour" and the inference that there are "Men of Dishonour". The system will nurture a ME TOO atmosphere.

Comment

Nicely put but doesn't explain the emergence of "Women of Honour" and the inference that there are "Men of Dishonour". The system will nurture a ME TOO atmosphere.
                  Nurturing a supportive system is very important but taking a retrograde step of separating contact between males and females unless where absolutely necessary (accommodation and heads) should be out of the question.

The abuser is the problem and there should be no reduction in liberty for anyone else.

Any service member proven to have abused another should be drummed out of service and punished to the maximum extent allowable. That goes for males and females even though women of course have suffered disproportionally since being allowed to join the DF.
                  Last edited by Auldsod; 30 September 2021, 14:18.

Comment

That would be a good thing actually. If there are Harvey Weinsteins wearing uniform they should be uncovered

Comment

I think the system might be the actual problem and it has done nothing other than nurture an environment where living with the threat of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment were seen as par for the course for a female member. Unless of course that is the system you condone?

Comment

• Originally posted by Egbeygia View Post

I think the system might be the actual problem and it has done nothing other than nurture an environment where living with the threat of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment were seen as par for the course for a female member. Unless of course that is the system you condone?
                        That was why I implied that the system needs changing especially at initial training to allow the female recruit take root unimpeded. The SQMS on prime time said that in her more than 20 years of service that the only peace she had was in her last 4 years at AHQ. She said 17 years was daily torture mostly verbal and innuendo. I just don't know how you construe that I support harassment of any person. My jurisdictional approach to all under my care was fairness and encouragement.

Comment

• Ennisman promoted to rank of Major General of Defence Forces

By Pat Flynn -

October 15, 2021
                          Facebook
                          Twitter

A Co Clare man has been promoted to the rank of Major General as well as being appointed Deputy Chief of Staff (Support) of the Irish Defence Forces .

Ennis native, Adrian Ó Murchú, who was promoted from the rank of Brigadier General, took up his new role on September 29th having been appointed by the government. In this role he is responsible for personnel, logistics, infrastructure, finance, legal, medical and other combat service support functions for DF activities at home and overseas.

Major General Murchú served 18 months as Assistant Chief of Staff.

General Ó Murchú joined the Permanent Defence Forces in 1982 as a member of the 59th Cadet Class. Prior to that, he spent several years in the Army Reserve (22nd Infantry Battalion FCA) in his home town of Ennis.

After commissioning, he saw early service in the 6th Infantry Battalion, the Army Ranger Wing, Military Intelligence and the Infantry School. Later appointments included Second in Command of the 5th Infantry Battalion, Chief Instructor of the Cadet School, School Commandant of the UN Training School Ireland and Commanding Officer of the DF’s Central Medical Unit.

In recent years he served as Director of Strategic Planning (D SPB), where he acted as Senior Staff Officer to the Chief of Staff. His most recent appointment has been as Assistant Chief of Staff (ACOS) and Defence Forces Risk Manager, in which capacity he was responsible for Force Protection and Business Continuity during the COVID-19 pandemic. Both as D SPB and ACOS, he has led the DF’s ‘Values in Action’ initiative, a programme designed to ensure that Óglaigh na hÉireann’s stated values are clear, communicated and conspicuous, and reflected in the everyday behaviours of all ranks across the organisation.
                          Major Adrian General Murchú from Ennis
                          General Ó Murchú’s considerable overseas experience includes tours of duty with the UN in UNIFIL (South Lebanon), UNOSOM II (Somalia), MINURSO (Western Sahara), UNTSO (Israel and Syria) and ONUCI (Ivory Coast).

He has deployed twice with the EU – as Chief Intelligence Analyst with HQ EUFOR Tchad/RCA in Eastern Tchad and more recently for two years in Brussels as Military Assistant to the Chairman of the EU Military Committee. In this role he represented the Chairman at the Political and Security Committee, working with member state ambassadors and senior EU officials on the security and defence aspects of EU foreign policy.

He holds an honours degree in French and English literature from NUIG, is a graduate (with Merit) of the École de Guerre in Paris and has a Masters (with Distinction) in International Liaison and Communication from the University of Westminster. In 2018 he completed an Executive Diploma in Strategy Development and Innovation (with Distinction) at the Smurfit Business School in UCD.

He holds a NATO interpreter qualification in French and has a keen interest in Irish language and music. He also holds various instructor qualifications as a diver and parachutist (both military and sport), and is President of Defence Forces Parachuting.

General Ó Murchú is married to Deirdre Kennedy, a third level lecturer, and is blessed with a son Oisín and a daughter Síofra.

Adrian hails from Hermitage in Ennis and is a proud ‘Tage’ man while his father Christy, who served 11 years in the military during the Emergency in Ireland, was born in Parsons Quay in Ennis, now known as Woodquay. Adrian’s mother Bridie, also a ‘townie’ and was born in Enright’s Bow off Parnell Street.

Find out more about the Defence Forces here.
                          Ennisman promoted to rank of Major General of Defence Forces | The Clare Herald
                          New DCOS(Support)

Comment

• According to DF Facebook:

Brigadier General Rossa Mulcahy is the Defence Forces Assistant Chief of Staff with effect from 19th of October 2021, having been appointed by the government.

In this role he is responsible for organisation transformation, capability development, innovation, risk management, corporate governance, and industrial relations.

Brigadier General Mulcahy has previously served as Director of Strategic Planning Branch from Feb 2020, where he was responsible for Strategy Development, Defence Policy Programme Implementation, Defence Forces’ Annual Plans, and International Security and Defence Policy coordination. From 2019 he was the Director of Communications and Information Services, with cyber being one of his areas of responsibility.

All who serve in Óglaigh na hÉireann wish Brig Gen Mulcahy all the best in his new appointment.

Comment

• Sounds like someone being prepped for the Top job there. Former CIS? Commissioned 1988.

Comment

• From posts online, seems to be liked by the veterans anyways
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X