No announcement yet.

Cadetships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats a pile of piss!!! for christs sake i can join the british,us or australian armies up to the age of 42 in some cases!!! ive already contacted the brits, they want me to visit their base in hollywood, Northern Ireland, and ive applied for my grencard for USA.

I dont want to have to serve another country but im at a stage in my life where ive decided that military is the career change i want to make and now i cant make it at home.

They should have leeway for professionals changing careers at an older age (im 26 NOT 46 for feck sake and fitter than most 17 year olds i know) , i just dont understand this country, i think its finally time to forget it and leave.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

If you do go abroad to serve, that’s the DF's loss, at least you will have great if not better opportunities abroad. I say go for it if that’s what you really want, best of luck!

Comment

Bailer "how would I cope with being Stuck with 30 17 year olds for 21 Months?"

How did you answer that one? More importantly, how should you have answered that?

With a degree the upper age limit is 25, btw..

Stand Fast is right, it will be the DF's loss morpheus
        I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

Does anyone know when the interviews and fitness tests are usually carried out. Is it within weeks or months of an application being submitted.

Comment

I was speaking with a PDF officer a few minutes ago, at a recruitment stand. I was told that the DF will accept college graduates up to the age of 25, ie engineers , for ordnace or technical officers for the naval service.
            Otherwise , the age limit is 23 ( regardless of RDF experience).

Comment

I am just after reading the leaflet that the officer gave me

The age limits are as follows:

up to 21 for normal entry......

up to 23 for FCA ..................

up to 25 for college graduates..

This contradicts what the officer said. Seems a bit ridiculous that the leaflets were being given out and the officers hadnt even read them.....

Comment

What is the true story with regards to the age limits. It's seem strange to have such a low age restriction compared with the like of the RN and BA and the USN. You would think that someone who decide to join at a later age really knows what they want and have had experience of life in general compared to somebody of 17 straight out of school.

Comment

I think the BA is 29,... I'm surprised they have not followed suit here.
                  But then wages here are quite low, that it would be difficult for many from civvie street to adjust??
                  I do think it is tougher to adjust once you are older and have lived your life a bit, but then again life experience is invaluable and older adults are more mature and serious. They generally don't have to bullied to do what they are told, generally...

Comment

I suppose you must keep in mind that these cadets can often be trained by relativelly young NCO's. For the same reason it's rare that older persons (with no previous military training) join an RDF unit. It can be difficult for them to take orders from young corporals.

Obviously this is not always the case. I am foreseeing all the replies I think it is a factor in the reasons behind keeping the age of the cadets low.

Comment

EARHART!!!
                      I was 31 when I joined up and had no probs with younger NCO's. I do now though!

Comment

Well until last year there was a under 25 limit for RDF personnel, this is now gone the age limit is 23, I dont have a degree so I'm Screwed, Whereabouts In co Down is that place??

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

if you really are interested in the british army, let me know and il get you all the details, ive got all the leaflets on them, they are VERY keen for irish soldiers to join up, the recruiter told me that irish soldiers make up some of the BEST units in the BA, my guess is thats because we would try harder to fit in and therefore work harder overall.

He's willing to meet me off the train and show me round, see what i think, no obligations to sign anything, just an intro to what I could expect.
                          im waiting to hear from the Australian army and see if i get my greencard first, my cousins a recruiter in the US Army.
                          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

I was waiting for a reply like that smiler I did say rare. You're obviously an exception

Eagleye - preliminary interviews are in March and fitness test and that lark are in June. Closing date for applications is Feb 13th, so you'd want to get moving.

Comment

you were waiting for what exactly????

Comment

I was waiting for somone like Smiler to give out to me regarding my ageist comments....

Comment

Working...
                                X