No announcement yet.

Cadetships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the DF were in our college last week. I was asking about if you were over the age limits. If you have a degree and are over the age limits you can get a direct entry into the DF. You do and i quote "a six week saluting course", here you are taught the basic drills etc. after the six weeks you are commisioned as a Lt. But the officer that was around advised me to go for a cadetship and finish my degree through the army. If you do a cadetship you will be a soldier who specifies in engineering etc but if you go through direct enry you are an engineer/doctor first and a soldier second. He said that no tactics etc are involved in the six weeks but through time you will get all the training you want.
    Hope thats of some help lads.

Comment

but above what age limit?? its 23 for cadet entries and i think they allow u up to 25 if youve a degree, i think if you have a degree and are over 25, then forget it. :( id LOVE someone to prove me wrong, does anyone know recruiters? or of senior army personel? please let me know, id phone the recruiters but theyll just tell me to piss off probably. imagine the numbers theyd get if they upped the age limits to 29 like the BA, theyd have so many professionals sign on who are currently unemployed, who would obviously have to serve a number of years before they could get out again, it could only help them.:o
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

I know someone who rang the number on the posters and presented himself as an engineer interested in career opportunities in the DF. He was told that there is nothing for him. He asked specifically about ordnance officers (there is a poster like that) and he was told that those places were all filled.

This person also told me that the upper age limit for a "general service" officer in the Australian Army is 50 years old, 47 if you want to get a degree while you train.

Seems wasteful of talent for the DF to restrict itself like this.

Comment

Cadetship

Id really appreciate some insight into cadetship and army life. Im thinking of joining either the navy or the army. Im 22, have an engineering degree and don't think a 9-5 job is for me.The military adds promise a life less ordinary and all that, but how accurate is this.
          >> Also any tips on the interviews would be a help.
          Thanx :-patriot:

Comment

Would you consider going in as a Direct entrant..engineering officer? You do a short "saluting course" instead of the 2 year cadetship. Its a great way to get unique experience in engineering,and the money isnt bad for a graduate engineer either..
            At 22 you are relatively old for a cadet....somebody mentioned elsewhere that you would be spending 2 years with 30 other 17 year olds..how would you cope with this..I refer you to other posts titled "cadetships".

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Yes I would consider direct entry. I have a degree in Electronic & computer Engineering.
              Would you have any info on the direct entry method Goldie Fish?
              :-patriot:

Comment

Click photo above to download

The Defence Forces Website should put you on the right track.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

ok well ive applied for a cadetship. im 17 at the moment and id love to get it, although im interested in it and all that im slightly worried about how i'd fit in as being a female. i currently know someone down in the curragh training at the moment and he said that at the start of the year there were a good few females but in the first three weeks all but three dropped out. anyone have any "re-assuring" comments on this?:confused:
                  Glaine áir gcroí
                  Neart ár ngeag agus
                  beart de réir ár mbriathar

-"If people behaved in the way nations do, They would all be put in straight jackets" - Tennessee Williams

Comment

Hawk, by the sound of it you've been in the FCA long enough to handle yourself. If you do get selected then you are obviously of a callibre fit for training (my logic anyways). Obviously you be in the minority but I'm sure it will be fine. There will always be wankers (can I say that Kermit?) in the ranks. You'll just have to rise above it and get on with your training.

GOOD LUCK
                    I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

aw well thank you :D
                      Glaine áir gcroí
                      Neart ár ngeag agus

-"If people behaved in the way nations do, They would all be put in straight jackets" - Tennessee Williams

Comment

Age Limits

I think the low age limits are to do with raising the age profile. A few years ago the average age of the DF was 36, which is far higher than average, and they decided everyone was too old and fat. Another reason is that because it's such a small army, it takes longer to get promoted, and if you join in your thirties, you could still be a captain at 50. Thats how you end up with all these bored un-interested time serving commandants who get put in command of fca battalions because they're never going to make it in the army.

Comment

sorry if that seemed strange, i didn't see the second page before i replied. If its any help, hawk, i know twenty guys going for cadetships, 3 or 4 of whom i'm sure will get it, and they're all the soundest people you could meet.

Comment

hey thanx for all your help an all that but unfortunately the application didnt arrive to my house on time. maybe it was just a sign that i shouldnt go for it this year. ah sure theres alwasy next year
                            Glaine áir gcroí
                            Neart ár ngeag agus

Comment

Working...
                            X