RDF recruitment Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF recruitment Requirements

whats the course of application for RDF???

what steps are involved?

how tough is the medical exam? whats involved in it, is there a fitness test?? whats required?

im currently getting tratment for an ankle injury i sustained playing soccer in October and cannot run on it yet, but it will be fine.

if you wear orthotics (arch supports) will this affect your application? it doesnt affect my running or anything in fact, i only get blisters when i DONT wear them!!!:D
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

There are a number of steps and time it takes varies.

Firstly you must do a security clearance check. In Dublin this can take anything up to 12 weeks. This requires you to present 2 passport sized photographs and sign a form allowing the unit to request details from the Gardai (if you are under 18 your parent/guardian must sign it).

In the meantime you could be scheduled for your medical and audiogram. I am not exactly sure what is entailed in the medical (I'm long enough in the tooth not to have had a medical when I joined), but looking at the forms it looks pretty basic. Though I have heard that things have tighten up a bit more.

The audiogram requires you to achieve a H1 in both ears and a certain level at each frequency (something I call H1+). This tends to be the biggest failure point.

At the moment there is no fitness requirement but the grapevine say this will all change with the REORG.

Assuming you pass all the above then you are sworn in for a 3 year contract. The process isn't difficult it just takes too long.

Comment

the medical is fairly basic. heart rate,breathing. urine test for any illegal substances.eye test for colour blindness. that was basically it. at the time no way was i fit

Comment

Originally posted by mac dara
        the medical is fairly basic. heart rate,breathing. urine test for any illegal substances.eye test for colour blindness. that was basically it. at the time no way was i fit
        U sure about that?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

No not really. Dont forget body mass index. Check for hernia, cough please. Checking for any deformations. Dont underestimate it.
          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

I got a female doctor for mine so there was no way I was asked to cough please!
            There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today Chatfield
            Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty GCB OM GCVO

Comment

Question about the medical, when it asks about heart conditions whats a failing criteria. I only ask as a mate of mine wishes to join and had a problem with his heart. Details are sketchy as i havent had time to talk to him fully. any in put will be extremely helpful thanks.

Comment

I think it would be very much down to the type of heart condition. Would you depend on someone who suffers often suffers from an irregular heart beat in a combat situation? Your friend should not fudge the issue with the medical officer. If needs be he should talk to his own GP and get the GP's opinion on whether he would be wasting his time going for it.
                Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

The urine test is taken for a protein test(which could mean that you have something or other). he test has to be done first thing in the morning, or else you will get trace amounts(which is alright), but the medics will need a doctors note saying that it is.

When you are going for your audiogram, the NCOs and officers recommend that you dont go out clubbing a while before it. I went out on friday night, for a test on tuesday night, and i *didnt do so good*. Passed with flying colors next time though.

They also mentioned to us (dont know whether anyone else heard anything of it) that for the eye test, there is going to need to be a machine used, and also a machine used for the lung test, Ithink they said.

Our whole company got all the medicals + audiograms done, then the RDF doctors told our commadant that they would all have to be done again.
                  Tose two new tests needed to be done. Those tests were not needed to be done, it was a new procedures that just came in. Our recruits were not too happy.
                  When we drink, we get drunk. --- When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
                  When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. --- When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
                  Sooooo, let's all get drunk and go to heaven! --- Brian O'Rourke

Comment

Victor thanks very much for the info. The GP idea is a good one thanks.

Comment

right lads,

Ive made my final decision,
                      im signing up on thursday night with the Swords RDF. (bailer recomended them!)

ive got a problem, im currently undergoing physio on a pretty hefty ankle injury (both ankles actually!!) due to soccer. this will rule out a return to major activities for me for about 8 more weeks, should i go ahead and sign up now, or wait until after I make a recovery??

i really want to get this under way as i know the longer i wait the less chance there is of me getting off my arse and doing it. nut i dont want to feck up my chances of getting in because of my injury.

:-patriot:
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

The process takes a while (unless things are different in the eastern bde) so I think it would be better to sign up now and get the process started

Comment

It may be that your friend has a heart murmor. I have one myself and spent 5 years RDF and 3 1/2 years PDF. They may have to do some further testing to ensure that it will not be a problem. They may send your friend for an ECG which can be done in any of the Army hospitals. If that comes out OK, then you will be accepted. If the condition is more serious, then your friend may have a problem.

Comment

morpheus, go ahead and start the paperwork, the security clearence takes more than 8 weeks .

Comment

ex-soldier thanks but my friend consulted his gp and in his words "i strongly advise against it". Thanks anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X