Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-in-10 Defence Force members tested for drugs

Re: http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...&threadid=2233

I have a couple of issues with this drug test. My main one is why it is being applied solely to the DF out of all the public service. Why not the Gardai? Bus and train drivers? Second everyday drugs like antibiotics and paracetamol give a positive result in the urine test.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

The British Forces do exactly the same they run the program called the CDT Compulsary Drugs Test. If a soldier has been using drugs prescribed by the MO the CDT team will be made aware of this if the soldier has been using un prescribed drugs ie illegal Es Cannabis etc this will be detected. A team will turn up at a location un announced the place will be cordened off and every person at that location will be tested, 2 specimens of urine will be given and the person identified: name, rank,number, unit etc. If the soldier is found to be positive they will be charged and court martialled if found guilty its a sackable offence, if an officer is found to be guilty of the same offence he /she will be asked to resign their commission

Comment

Right but I have no faith in such a hit and miss system. BTW a medical orderly has been a collateral victim of the drugs test already. He lashed out anti-biotics to two lads who were subsequently tested. And you know what happened after that. What about people who are on prescribed medication from a civilian doctor. And what about over the counter stuff-anadin, lemsip and so on.
      sigpic

Comment

Eat enough poppy seeds and you will test positive for heroin
        Meh.

Comment

In any drug test I've taken, and I have taken quite a few of them, I was asked before hand if I had taken any over the counter meds, eg lemsip etc, or prescription meds in the last few days. If you show a prescription for anything you've taken, then no problem. As long as it declared up front.

It may have been the case some years ago that poppy seeds would give a false positive for opiates. But with advances in testing this is no longer the case.

Wait 'til they introduce the hair test !!!! Seemingly it can detect certain drug use from years back !!!!! And for those of you with shaved heads, (me included here) can you guess where they take the hair sample from !!!!!!!

Anyone nervous yet???? C'mon, I know a few of you Leftie FCA'ers have to be Pot smokers. You couldn't be that screwed up in your thinking and not be smoking something !!!!! Don't worry, the hair test will get you in the end !!!!!
          No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

The current test is a test for illegal drugs. Perscription medicines would not be tested for..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

A prescription drug is illegal if you don't have a prescription for it......
              No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

The current test is a test for illegal drugs. Perscription medicines would not be tested for..

Its a non specific test. It shows up any drug use, legal or illegal. A positive test gets sent to a lab for testing for specific drugs.
                sigpic

Comment

Correct....the current drug test is not for any specific drug and will show a positive for many prescription drugs........I was wondering does the Netherlands have a drug testing program given that the use of cannabis is legal!
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                    I was wondering does the Netherlands have a drug testing program given that the use of cannabis is legal!
                    ----------------------------------------------------------

Just to put the record straight.

Technically, the legal situation is quite complicated. International treaties preclude the Netherlands from legalising cannabis, even if they wanted to. Cannabis is illegal in Holland but possession of a small quantity is considered to be a misdemeanour rather than a criminal offence.

In practice, the possession of up to 30 grams (about an ounce) is permitted. You can only buy 5 grams at a time, though, so you could be asked to explain if you are carrying more than 5 grams.
                    (http://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/)

Regards etc

Comment

Also you need to be liscensed to sell canabis in holland (fairly similar to alcohol licensing laws) it is illegal to supply without this liscense (even giving ur mates canabis is illegal apparently) Similar to the Balearics in Spain it's not illegal to possess canabis but it is illegal to supply it!

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

4 people have tested positive- i saw the testing board in operation and they are doing it right but the parameters are two wide - i think it shouldnt be random testing but compulsory testing throughout the year for every body-when the drugs testing team for the Brits arrive in a Barracks the first person to be tested is the senior officer present that day- it beggars beleif that only 4 people out of nearly 10,000 are using drugs- as for the Gardai and others well thats there concern, i need to know that the soldier standing beisde me is full functioning and competent- We all know that 3 came from the same Barracks and 2 from the same Unit - but we are kidding ourselves thinking its not happening in my unit because we have had no positive results- so lets take our heads out of our arses and find out really ( and not just for the press) do we have a drugs problem in our DF ( PDF & RDF )( remember the Special Olympics before any RDF throw stones) find out the extent of that problem, lock up the users and then throw them out and lets get on with the job of soldiering
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by strummer
                          Wait 'til they introduce the hair test !!!! Seemingly it can detect certain drug use from years back !!!!!

As far as I heard hair testing can only detect drugs taken up to 90 days ago, although im not that au fait with the ins and outs of testing. The following are from the first 2 pages of a google search on 'hair testing'.

Oops, looks like the page is lost. Start your website on the cheap.

Ce site web est à vendre ! hair-testing.com réunit des informations et annonces. Nous espérons que vous y trouverez les informations que vous recherchez !

Im not condoning taking drugs, but there's no point in freaking people out over something they did once or twice years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                            If it's illegal, how come you can buy and smoke it in a coffee shop?
                            Here

Comment

It would be interesting to find out how many of the referred to "10% tested"
                              were Reservists....
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X