No announcement yet.

Steyr Versus SA 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeroing many optic sights is a bit of a nuisance. For example, I attached my ACOG to my M-4 last week. Here's the process:

1) Zero laser boresight system. Involves taking readings at 180 degree rotations, and cancelling out the discrepancies.

2) Set up 25m target for ACOG sighting. Because the target is designed to be used with live rounds, not a laser, we do some maths to discover the new point of aim. (About a half centimeter up).

3) Unscrew the adjustment covers, both elevation and windage.

4) With one man peering through the scope, the laser held on target by a second, a third man follows the first's instructions to adjust the aiming reticle (With a screwdriver) until the crosshair moves on top of the appropriate mark on the target.

5) Screw back on the covers for the adjustment screws.

My Hakko has a similar process, whereby one size hex-key is used to loosen up a screw used by another sized hex-key.

With M68 CCOs, there's an extra step. Once the dot is zeroed, you then adjust the back-up iron sights to the dot, co-witness.

So far, three for three seem to match the SUSAT complaint. What did he expect?

NTM
    Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Zeroing the standard optical sight on the styer is a simple matter performed in seconds by the trained soldier having fired a 4-8 inch group of five rounds from 100m. Once the adjustment has been calculated only two screws must be turned using a special key.

The sight is zeroed for 300m allowing a difference of 12cm for the trajectory of the round. It is zeroed for 300m as the sight is designed so that the average 5' 10'' man will fit perfectly into the kill zone of the reticle(circle at the centre of the crosshairs) at 300m.

Comment

The OTC is part of the TA so the weapons they have are invariable old stock they were probably found at the back of an armoury some where. The soldiers who would get the A2 would be front line troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, I think the squaddies out in Bosnia are still using the A1 version.

Comment

Originally posted by California Tanker

The LSW is not being replaced by Minimi. Rather the Minimi is being brought in as a second team weapon: It seems that the British had a problem with the LSW being too accurate for the suppression role: With its abilities and sights, teams were using it more as a sniper rifle!
          The LSW is being replaced as the Fire Support weapon in the squad by the Minimi. It was discussed in another thread. The LSW is being retained within the squad as an accurate backup to the Minimi. While the Minimi lays down fire on the enemy, the LSW pins down the enemy by accurate suppressive fire- accuracy with firepower. Have to check my facts but I believe the new squad layout consistes of 2 Minimi, 2 LSW, 2 SA-80A2 w/ Gren Launcher and 2 SA-80A2. Have to check to be sure.

Comment

Come to think about has anybody ever seen any photos of the British special forces using or carrying the SA80. Nope I did not think so.

Comment

According to one of the Brits on Tank-Net, the lads at Hereford are reconsidering the L-85 in light of recent performance.

NTM

Comment

CT you've become a zealot about that thing....
                Meh.

Comment

No, I just like rooting for the underdogs...

Besides, the problem is that everyone here is condemning the L85A2 on the basis of the problems of the L85A1. I am just pointing this out.

You'll note that never have I said it's better than the AUG.

NTM

Comment

No, I just like rooting for the underdogs...
                    Says the guy who like to drive around in an Abrams
                    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Working...
                    X