Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integration

Just asking for opinions?

Will the RDF ever be taken seriously enough to go along with the whitepaper and be integrated with PDF units to some level?

Has it already happened and to what degree?

If not why not?

How does pay for reserves work?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

The reserve pay issue will be a problem I see, DF pay rates dont come near to what people can earn in the private sector.

This hasnt been addressed in the white paper however, have a look at your private pay and have a look at the rank in the DF that your pay comes close to. You might see an issue there.

Personally (without trying to sound like an a$$hole, but probably failing) there isnt a rank in the FCA that I would pay me what I earn now, considering that I cant see the bean counters allowing me to be integrated for any length of time (e.g. overseas) if they had to pay me a "top up" so that I wouldnt lose out.
    Last edited by Big Al; 7 January 2004, 17:15.
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

I think there is some confusion as to what integration means. Under the proposals on the table the fact that you are in an integrated unit does not mean that you are up on full time service (in fact I think there is only an additional paid weekend involved). It means that you are affiliated to a particular PDF unit, that unit is responsible for your training and your annual training requirements will co-incide with the training schedules of that unit.

As regards to morpheus's question about pay, in the RDF you are paid the rank pay equal to the first point on the payscale for that rank, unless you are 2/Lt or Lt in which you are paid the top point on the payscale for a Lt. On top of that you will get a gratuity (if you have put in the required hours and attended annual training). You should get a duty allowance if you are performing a duty at a post that would normally attract a duty allowance (note I said should). If you are in the Slua you will get sea going allowance if you go to sea.

Comment

i assume you only get paid if on camps etc? you hardly get a yearly salary!?!

Is it worth joining? i mean from a purely self development point of view... i am considering the BA but would like to try a glimpse of army life before doing that. im 27 and time waits for no man, so its a case of now or never.
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al
          I cant see the bean counters allowing me to be integrated for any length of time (e.g. overseas) if they had to pay me a "top up" so that I wouldnt lose out.
          overseas is more or less a years posting
          You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

FWIW

And

TA Income protection et. al.

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

There was never any suggestion that the Army was going to pay anybody a "top-up" for lost earnings. That would be ridiculous. The Army will pay you for the job that you perform for them at whatever rate of pay that they pay their troops. If you don't like that, then leave. The US military has sent thousands of reservists to Iraq and none of them get compensated by the military for lost earnings. Some do get paid by their civilian employer while on military service but the military is certainly not about to pay anybody a civilian rate of pay. Soldiers have never been paid well in any Army and that is not going to change any time soon. Many US reservists and National Guard people were used to being very highly paid professionals in their civilian field and then they were activated for lengthy overseas tours of between 1 and 2 years at a stretch. While on active service, they must rely on the pay that any other service person gets according to their rank. There are many cases of guys who were making huge salaries having to survive on an Army Sergeant's pay for 2 years and not being able to meet the mortgage because of it.

Comment

I applied to the RDF 7th infantry B company in swords tonight!

I was quite impressed, it isnt as well.. unorganised, as id thought it would be, i was surprised at the numbers of recruits both new and old there!!

im still at a loss as to what happens tho, i just filled out loads of info and handed over a birth cert and some photos. I knew the Sargent ( ** **** i think, and i dont have a breeze about rank markings so forgive me if im wrong about his rank, i saw 3 zig zag stripes on his uniform)

I cant wait to get into it if i hopefully pass the medicals etc. Maybe then il find out what happens with training and meetings and camps etc.:flagwave:

MOD - No names please.

Comment

Working...
                X