Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Forces in €20m US missile system deal

Re: http://www.irishmilitaryonline.com/b...&threadid=2231

I wonder if the Milan will filter down to the RDF now.......it would be an interesting course to do but its probably not going to happen

Doubtful. The milan is ineffective and primative. We may as well be re issued with the Energa.
    I would be happy to use the SRAAW.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

In the interest of balance, here's the crusty view on the issue: http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?id=62903

Seemingly some git on Today FM was also making disparaging remarks about the purchase.

Isn't the main problem with the Milan the fact that the missiles are nearing the end of their safe life? If this is the case it rules out them being passed on to the RDF. It should make for a fun day on the range though if they all need to be fired off..

Comment

OK. I haven't read it, but I reckon that it has

1) "How many hospitals/classrooms/yadda yadda yadda could this have bought"
        2) "Toys for the boys"
        3) "Nato-isation and Iraq"
        4) All of the above!

-Y
        Meh.

Comment

The man's a psychic
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

just outta curiosity will the excess milan rounds be fired off or just got rid of
            There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

What happened the javillen?

Comment

The comments on that indymedia page don't seem to bad considering.

Comment

well when you consider the link was given here,i imagine there has been a certain amount of infiltration....

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                    well when you consider the link was given here,i imagine there has been a certain amount of infiltration....
                    Are you intimating that YJ is a crusty? I hope you're not holding the yellow dungarees against him...

[MOD: Stick to the topic girls]
                    Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
                      The milan is ineffective and primative.
                      Tell that to an APC commander.

If they have reached the end of their safe lives, presumably the fuel and explosive modules could be replaced.
                      Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Against modern armour it is not as effective as it used to be. Wire guided missiles are also quite revealing to fire,as you have to wait to ensure the missile makes it to the tank..
                        Not great with modern defences...with a load of heavy armour heading your way,last thing you want to do is wait arround after revealing your position,to make sure that you got a 'kill'

Comment

Working...
                        X