New Recruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Recruit

As you may have noticed me mention in another thread...

I joined the RDF last night... well i applied to join, 7th inf B coy swords.

It was interesting, but ive some questions....

What can i expect, seriously now, no joking....

What is the next step in the process for me? i gave my birth cert and photos and filled out 2 forms, ive to wait for a medical now and go back up thursday 2 weeks with my PRSI number ( i didnt know we got paid for it!)

Roughly how long should it be before im fuly kitted out and training??

Can i become an officer and how???

can i tranfer to PDF at any stage and would being a RDF officer help some?? (im 27 now)

are the RDF wearing the same kit as the PDF ??

ive no idea what equipment would be necessary to buy aside from whatever ill get. any suggestions??

what happens at weekends and how often do they do weekend training?

what is the story with camps in summer??

any RDF websites out there with more information?:-patriot:
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

I'll leave the answers to the kit you should buy and what they do on weekends to the 7Bn members of this board.

The next step in the recruiting process is the medical (you mentioned) then the audiogram. These will probably be done while the security clearance is being processed. The security clearance can take up to 8 weeks. Your PPS number is required for payment when you are called up on full time training.

Assume 8 weeks before you get sworn in. Depending on how good your CQ is you should be uniformed in about 2 weeks after that.

Yes you can become an officer. You must first be an NCO with 1 years service and under 32 (correct me if I'm wrong). You then must be nominated by your unit (different units go through different selection processes) and then pass a brigade interview board. At the age of 27 now, you will be cutting it close but it is still possible.

At the moment there is no procedure for transferring into the PDF. And if there should come a time when that there is procedures I think that being an officer in the FCA would be a disadvantage rather than an advantage. (A guess nothing more)

The FCA wear the same kit (as in uniform) as the PDF and use the same rifle and pistol. Moves are on to standardise the rest of the kit, PLCE webbing should be coming on stream (It doesn't really matter whether it is green or DPM) and there is plans to replace the Bren (though God knows when).

Comment

mod...

go raibh míle maith agat...
      tá mé an amadán...

is mise le measa...
      nuff said.

[MOD: Edited insulting remarks.]
      Last edited by morpheus; 11 January 2004, 00:47.
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

There's some general information on the Army Reserve on this site (http://www.21infantry.com ) Morpheus. It relates to the 21st Infantry Battalion, based in Dun-Laoghaire and County Wicklow, but is still relevant.

Comment

Upper age limit for Commission as Officer attached to RDF is 35 but you have to be an NCO first (and usually an extremely active one but units differ but I would say that is true for 7 Bn) and reccomended by your unit.

Best of luck with your RDF career.

Comment

Upper age on day of commissioning is 35 for but starting cse is 33 seeing that it takes 2 years from interview to commissioning.

Comment

Aaah Mods! Platoon Sergeant insults are always the best:D

Comment

Re: New Recruit

Originally posted by morpheus
                ive no idea what equipment would be necessary to buy aside from whatever ill get. any suggestions??

what happens at weekends and how often do they do weekend training?

what is the story with camps in summer??
                In relation to buying equipment, I wouldnt go splashing out just yet. Most of the stuff you'll need to buy is for use out on the ground e.g. compass, maps, tent pegs, para cord, bush hat, mess tins, camo cream, but it'll probably be a while before you start on this element of training as you'll need to learn the basics first such as foot and arms drill.

Invest in a sleeping bag if you dont already have one, you'll need that from the start. Also a leatherman will come in handy, dont bother with a swiss army knife, you wont get near as much use out of it. A pair of gloves, you'll probably get issued ones, but they arent the best. If there is anything extra you need to bring for weekends your NCO should tell you. If you're away for one night and you're told to bring a second pair a combats you can bank on it you're going through the river!

Like I said, if you get past your basic training and you've decided you're gonna stick it out buy the stuff then. The best purchase I ever made was my meindl's (tactical boots) I cant believe went 4 years doing tactics in issued boots. Id highly recommend buying a pair when you start tactics, it just gives you that extra bit of comfort.

As regards weekends away, ideally theres something planned for each month. What it entails will vary from range practise to tactics or for the less fortunate kitchens.

Annual Camp for the 7th Bn is one week in late June or early July, in the Glen, AFAIK the date has been set but cant remember off hand.

Anyway hope that helps a bit.

Comment

to what extent does the medical check you over??

ive heard there are 4 medicals and an audiology examination?

if, hypothetically now, a new recruit (not me!) had fallen arches and used orthotics (and had used them for quite some time now) would this affect their medical?

(orthotics = small shoe inserts to support the arch) same recruit plays tons of soccer and sports (actually wearing the supports in their fotty boots!!)

:confused:

Comment

Does the army actively train snipers?

Can RDF members go on sniper courses?

Comment

To become an officer you have to have been 35 on the date of your interview not commissioning, you have to finish the course within 4 years of your interview, so it is possible to be commissioned at 39 but i have never heard of it happening but i know a few who were 37 when they were commissioned.

Comment

Does the army actively train snipers?

Can RDF members go on sniper courses?

Yes and not at the moment.

if, hypothetically now, a new recruit (not me!) had fallen arches and used orthotics (and had used them for quite some time now) would this affect their medical?

Should preclude him but he might get lucky. I got into the PDF with asthma.:D
                        sigpic
                        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                        My favourite moment was when the
                        Originally posted by hedgehog
                        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Is it possible for a RDF members go to ARW selection?
                          When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                          All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Is it possible for a direct entry to go for the ARW?

Comment

No

Comment

Working...
                              X