Replacements for the MAGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacements for the MAGs

It was mentioned already on other threads, that the GPMG/MAG/ The General is ending its natural life as a fire support weapon in the DF ie certain units have only a handful that are ok to fire. What are candiates that hopefully going to be selected as a replacement. Ideally in my opinion the FN Minimi is the ideal replacement, but what other opinions are on the market??
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
    http://munsterfireandrescue.com

New MAGs maybe?

Worked for the Yanks among others.

Comment

Probably MAGs and Minimi if the army gets its way, they are keen to introduce the minimi at section level but retain the MAG in the support role.
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Minimi is too light for a MMG. The MAG has been updated and adopted by the US to replace the M60. They have designated it the M240. I'd go for that.
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Ya reading up about the upgrade of the MAG it sounds good but hte MAGs really have to replaced soon. I really think the Steyr HBar is out of the question (a 3* tryed to convince me yesterday while on the Galtees).

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14

Comment

I'd go for the Minimi as a GPMG replacement at section level, ARW & many other armies already use. Its light, has a high rate of fire, compact, can fire belts / box type magazines (200) / rifle magazines, has a fairly similar range to GPMG, verstile, and adaptable.

5.56mm = lighter ammo = more rounds can be carried

I my opinion there is a need for a MMG at Coy level and there should be three not the current two.

Although a tripod is available for the Minimi, as far as i know the range is not on a par with the GPMG(SF), open to corrections, therefore I think the heavier round of a 7.62mm would be better in this role.

I could see the arguement for the Steyr HBAR. It would reduce training time which could be spent on other areas, all members of the section's ammo can be used by it, the 100 round C-Mag, as used by ARW could eliminate the need to reload after 29 rounds and spare barrels could be provided.

If and when a decision is made the DF should buy sufficient quantities to equip all PDF and RDF units at the same time, this is vital. Firstly it provides for interoperability.

Most importantly it would reduce the overall cost. This must be brought to the decision makers attention. Buying any goods, in this case MGs, in larger numbers or bulk reduces the price per unit. While the cost of buying, storing and maintaining the rounds and the actual weapons of which there could be three,could also be reduced:

GPMG(SF) or replacement - 7.62mm
            GPMG light role replacement - 5.56mm ?
            GPMG used by some RDF units (eg 1ADR and Cav) - 7.62mm
            Bren used by most RDF units - 7.7 mm (0.303 inches):D

Comment

I would like to see the Minimi, its easy to carry has a good rate of fire and given the thumbs up by armies every where including the Ranger Wing. The Mag or what ever decent ones are left should be kept at platoon level.

Comment

the mags will need to be replaced in a few years ,that is a fact they are knackered and as they are id rather hold on to the bren as they are still a1 , replacement gpmgs should be retained for coy sustained fire support for infantry ,
                they are a bit heavy for modern mobile warfare , pso , and peace enforcement ops the minimi is the obvious candidate but they are several other 5,56mm lmgs such as the isreali negeav and theres an italian weapon think its the "cetme " or something like that which is a nice looking piece of kit , and the good old styer hbar it would certainly ease training with a 3x sight or would it be too accurate to provide a good suppresive fire ,it could be a winner ,
                though with the 5.56 whatever you pick i think there should be 2 issued per section to make up for the loss of the gpmgs awesome firepower ?:D
                "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

The Minimi would be ideal for CTRT (Close Target Recce Teams) and Long Range Patroling where weight is a serious problem. For sections on the ground the GPMG (updated versiuon) in my opinion is still the best option due to the 7.62mm rounds. The SF gpmg is still perfect. The bren is also ending its natural life as last year we had a few problems.

Comment

The GPMG or M-240s firepower should not be replaced by the minimi at the plt or Co level.At the section or squad level the minimi is a bit heavy for assaulting with but it does the job of suppression nicely.I have found that most SAW gunners over here tend to use the 200 rnd drum for fixed sites or supply use and when patrolling go to a 100 rnd canvas sack.The 200 rnd drum being heavy and rather awkward.
                    When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                    All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

ah now why not just use a hmg altogether

Comment

We already have HMG`s and we are talking about section fire support weapons

Comment

Would agree with C-Q - Minimi at section level, MAG at, say, pln level....
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

would that mean another 3 people in pln HQ - Cpl IC, 1 FSG, 2 FSG

Comment

Nah, I reckon they will eventually have the Minimi at section level and the GPMG in the Wpns Pl at Coy level.

I still can't see why the Aug Hbar wasnt purchased at the time the Steyrs were bought. The 42 rd mags would increase the fire power a bit and the 2 fsg can pass on his rifle mags while reloading the 42 rd ones.
                              Sigs - No amps, no volts = no interest

Comment

Working...
                              X