No announcement yet.

Army Ranger Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Army Ranger Wing in Mali with a H&K 40mm grenade launcher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ARW Mali.jpg
Views:	2669
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	736238

Comment

• Watched something recently about the organisation of a new USMC orbat for reaction in the Pacific, they've ditched the underslung grenade launcher in favor of stand alone launchers.
      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• I believe the current issue grenade launcher can be used as a stand alone weapon..
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
          Equipment is vital. UK Commando group have just completed a 5 Day Mission in the Mojave Desert, demonstrating Mission Air Defence while embedded with US Commandos. The Brits had a 53 man unit with High Speed Air defence missiles and other missiles with a view to defending "Their brethren on the ground". Don't be out there without air superiority nor area missile Defence. An ARW Mission??
          It'd be a strange one, doesn't take SF to lump a stinger around.

The videos that were made for that exercise were pretty ****ing good though.

Comment

• Unfortunate

Comment

• Army Ranger Wing takes control of cargo ship off Cork coast as part of drug smuggling probe

The boarding is part of the broader investigation in to the beaching of a trawler off Wexford.

ELITE ARMY RANGER Wing soldiers have boarded and taken control of a cargo ship off the Cork/Waterford coast as part of an investigation linked to the stricken fishing boat off Wexford.

The operation was launched as they acted on intelligence they had received, sources said.

The Rangers boarded the cargo ship at sea south of Youghal and sources have said it is linked to an international investigation into drug smuggling.

The commandos assisted by colleagues in the Naval Service and Air Corps boarded the vessel in heavy seas in what is know as “an opposed boarding” operation.

The cargo ship is en route to Cork from Willemstad, Curacao – a Dutch protectorate off the South American coast.

A major security operation has been underway since Sunday after a fishing trawler ran aground off the coast of Wexford, with authorities now attempting to board it to determine whether drugs are on board.

So far, weather has been hampering those attempts. Two people were winched from the deck of that vessel and have been detained for questioning by gardaí.

This latest development relates to a larger cargo ship but the two incidents are believed to be linked.

Authorities are not giving official details of the operation as it is ongoing but speaking at the Oireachtas Joint Defence and Foreign Affairs committee this afternoon, Chief of Staff of the Irish Defence Forces Seán Clancy said the operation had been in the planning phase for a number of weeks.

Race against time to board suspicious vessel in Irish Sea as storm threatens security operation

Security operation underway off Wexford coast as naval service attempt to board stricken trawler
              “This is a joint operation – the assets we have employed on it, and it is ongoing, but also it is joint in terms of the cross Government agencies involved.

“It is a multi agency approach that has been conducted over a number of days and weeks and the culmination of which you have seen today.

He added that “sometimes we lose sight of the raison d’etre of the Irish Defence Forces in the complexity of what we do”.

Comment

• Quick "fashion" question for anybody that is in the know......
                Every photo currently seems to show any personnel who have a Fianogloch patch wearing the red backing. Once upon a time this indicated an active unit member while everybody else who passed the selection or were ex ARW wore the standard gold edged tab.
                I know the whole slection process has been revamped in the past few years so has the awarding of tabs and method of wearing changed also?
                An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                  Quick "fashion" question for anybody that is in the know......
                  Every photo currently seems to show any personnel who have a Fianogloch patch wearing the red backing. Once upon a time this indicated an active unit member while everybody else who passed the selection or were ex ARW wore the standard gold edged tab.
                  I know the whole slection process has been revamped in the past few years so has the awarding of tabs and method of wearing changed also?
                  Red outline indicates has completed course and has(or is) serving in the Wing

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                    Quick "fashion" question for anybody that is in the know......
                    Serving and ex members entitled to wear the red edged version. Two current members of the General Staff sporting these. Method of wear unchanged as far as I know anyway. The version without the red edging is awarded to candidates on completion of initial Selection (SOFQ)

(Sorry Dev, didn't see your reply)
                    Last edited by Truck Driver; 4 December 2023, 20:32.
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Thanks lads, so it seems less personnel coming away from initial selection only and therefore most candidates continuing to modules 2 -5 and then unit.
                      An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• The version without the red edging is awarded to candidates on completion of initial Selection (SOFQ)
                        Just to clarify, SOFQ is not quite Initial selection as per the old Selection and skills courses. it is now broken into five modules. Module 1 is similar to the old Selection phase. Unlike the previous practice of awarding the tab after completion of "Selection" the tab is now awarded after successful completion of Module 3 .The Green beret is awarded after completion of Module 4.

"Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• I know this might be a knobhead question, but is selection done in a positive or negative way. In other words. are people pushed until they crack (or not) and the target is X not cracking, or is it a standard that has to be reached and if reached, you’re in, regardless of how many reach it?

Of course, if it’s OPSEC, just tell me to go away, it’s just idle curiosity on my part!
                          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                            I know this might be a knobhead question, but is selection done in a positive or negative way. In other words. are people pushed until they crack (or not) and the target is X not cracking, or is it a standard that has to be reached and if reached, you’re in, regardless of how many reach it?

Of course, if it’s OPSEC, just tell me to go away, it’s just idle curiosity on my part!
                            To answer that question, I suggest you either read "Ranger 22" by Ray Goggins, or "Shadow Warriors", by Paul O'Brien and Wayne Fitzgerald. First one is from a guy who walked the walk, the 2nd is an authorised history of the unit.
                            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

To answer that question, I suggest you either read "Ranger 22" by Ray Goggins, or "Shadow Warriors", by Paul O'Brien and Wayne Fitzgerald. First one is from a guy who walked the walk, the 2nd is an authorised history of the unit.
                              Meet the standard I suppose is the answer to the question

obviously edited and made for TV, but I’d also suggest the Irish “Hell Week” (I’m sure it’s on RTE player)

in Ranger 22 Ray says that the condition was they wanted it be fairly true to life

he also describes the course he was Cse Sgt of…. That no one passed

Comment

• Thanks, I'll look them up.
                                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X