No announcement yet.

Army Ranger Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further speculation on ARW membership will receive bans. No further warnings.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
      I'd say this is more statement of fact than idle speculation personally.

On the kit in use with the wing at present, and pictured, I wonder how much of their experience and influence will have gone into the Plate Carrier competition. Also, the additional rifle mag on the belt is an interesting one. Finally, the H&K416 seems to be the platform of choice in those pics, potentially a replacement for the Steyr in the future?
      They did. A few members of the review board were Ex unit. You can forget the 416 as the AUG replacement.Too expensive. I would bank on HK pushing the HK433 on us in any competition,they gotta make back the money they spent developing it when the BW didn't pick it up. A good bet would be us going with the RS.556 developed by Rheinmetal/Steyr for the same BW trials. An AR15 style rifle, which seems to be all the rage at the moment, but with soem features familiar to AUG users. Might shorten training time if introduced.

Big developments coming for the unit under the White paper fairly soon.Good time to be in the unit.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
        Further speculation on ARW membership will receive bans. No further warnings.
        Apologies I didn't mean to cause issues or get lads in trouble.

Comment

• It's kinda weird to see them using a Sniper Rifle that's not an AI..
          Pic was posted by the DF.
          Last edited by Rocinante; 11 March 2021, 06:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocinante View Post
            It's kinda weird to see them using a Sniper Rifle that's not an AI..
            Pic was posted by the DF.
            Continuing the Wing tradition of "I'll wear whatever the fk I want on my feet" I see....
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Lugnaquilla looks great this time of year. Is that Tourlogh hill in the distance.....
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                Lugnaquilla looks great this time of year. Is that Tourlogh hill in the distance.....
                Couldn't be - it's sunny...
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Listen to this episode from The Irish Defence Forces Podcast on Spotify. On this episode we welcome on the Course Sergeant for the 2021 Army Ranger Wing Special Operations Forces Qualification Course. The Course Sergeant talks about the make up of the ARW SOF-Q Course, and gives some advice on and experience of passing the course and becoming a member of the Army Ranger Wing. For operational security reasons the identity of members of the Army Ranger Wing are not made public.The Irish Defence Forces Podcast aims to provide interesting content on all aspects of the Irish military. It is a production of the Defence Forces Public Relations Branch. Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.

On this episode we welcome on the Course Sergeant for the 2021 Army Ranger Wing Special Operations Forces Qualification Course. The Course Sergeant talks about the make up of the ARW SOF-Q Course, and gives some advice on and experience of passing the course and becoming a member of the Army Ranger Wing. For operational security reasons the identity of members of the Army Ranger Wing are not made public.

Comment

• Haha all the lads asking for a Ranger podcast on Instagram are happy....

Comment

• Without going too off topic the DF podcast is really good. Great spread of guests and Clancy is a better host than most journos on actual radio.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaque'ammer View Post
                        Without going too off topic the DF podcast is really good. Great spread of guests and Clancy is a better host than most journos on actual radio.
                        It is, no fuss, just interesting well done chats.

Comment

• Any lads into bikes know what the make is of this one?

Comment

• 2018/2019 Honda CRF250, painted black, and replaced the standard tank with an Acerbis aftermarket plastic one. Ideal for bouncing around the Glen or the Curragh plains. No idea what the quad is though. Replaced the dreadful Suzukis.

Comment

• Irish special forces unit conduct ferry 'hijack' assault (irishexaminer.com)

The unit had a bit of fun off Dun Laoighre earlier this week.

More photos on Flickr.
                              Maritime Counter Terrorism Exercise | Flickr
                              Great to see the AW139 with both GPMGs fitted.
                              ARW-24 by Óglaigh na hÉireann, on Flickr

JAM_5516 by Óglaigh na hÉireann, on Flickr

JAM30045 by Óglaigh na hÉireann, on Flickr

Comment

• Some gucci new kit being worn by the operators. New MCT suits that can take insert kneepads, new boots(not Haix.still haven't ID'd them) and new IR badges for the EOD techs.

Right up there with the kit the bigger SOF units have. Fair play. Love to know how big the budget for the unit is compared with say a regular Battalion. I would say it is well above it.
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X