Corp specific berets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corp specific berets

Is there any reason why we never opted for different coloured berets for specific corps/units? I just thought it might do more to promote a bit of unit individuality and pride (which is practically none existent among the junior members of my unit)
    Any thoughts?

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
    Is there any reason why we never opted for different coloured berets for specific corps/units? I just thought it might do more to promote a bit of unit individuality and pride (which is practically none existent among the junior members of my unit)
    Any thoughts?
    We have!!!!
    1. PDF: black.
    2. Reserve: light green.
    3. PA's: red.
    4. Reserve PA's: red with green CB backing.
    5. Cavalry: Green Glengarry.
    6. Reserve Cavalry: Green Glengarry with green band (open to correction by the donkey wholloper's)
    7. ARW: bottle green.

Or do you think we should just copy the brits?
    hedons have more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ned stark View Post
      We have!!!!

5. Cavalry PDF RDF: Green Glengarry.
      6. Reserve Officer SD no1 headdress : Green Glengarry with green band
      fixed that
      Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
        Any thoughts?
        We also have lanyards/unit flashes to distinguish individual units on the parade ground. Anything else is really just a waste of money to satisfy OCD sufferers
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Isn't there a deviation with the PDF cav hats between squadrons?
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
            We also have lanyards/unit flashes to distinguish individual units on the parade ground. Anything else is really just a waste of money to satisfy OCD sufferers
            Speaking as an OCD participant(I don't suffer it, I enjoy it) the notion of everyone wearing different colour and shaped hats goes against everything I believe.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
              It was an error, rather than a deviation. One unit decided that they needed a red patch behind their badge. No other unit considered it necessary.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                It was an error, rather than a deviation. One unit decided that they needed a red patch behind their badge. No other unit considered it necessary.
                2 Cav Sqn (or more precisely now 2 Bde Cav Sqn) wear the red patch backing on their Glengarrys. None of the other PDF Sqns do. Now I would need to check A9 on this one, but I think 2 Cav Sqn were correct, and the others
                were wrong...

As for the original poster, there was talk a good few years ago now of doing exactly that - corps specific coloured berets - never came off though, thankfully
                Last edited by Truck Driver; 22 January 2014, 04:53.
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                  2 Cav Sqn (or more precisely now 2 Bde Cav Sqn) wear the read patch backing on their Glengarrys. None of the other PDF Sqns do. Now I would need to check A9 on this one, but I think 2 Cav Sqn were correct, and the others
                  were wrong...

As for the original poster, there was talk a good few years ago now of doing exactly that - corps specific coloured berets - never came off though, thankfully
                  Theres a nasty rumour going around that they wear it because they were the lads who let collins get killed. Filthy rumour.
                  To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

The red patch behind the cap badge was introduced in 1973. Prior to its introduction 2 Cav Sqn or 2 Motor Squadron as they were known then wore the Gelgarry without the patch.

Comment

Originally posted by ned stark View Post
                      We have!!!!
                      1. PDF: black.
                      2. Reserve: light green.
                      3. PA's: red.
                      4. Reserve PA's: red with green CB backing.
                      5. Cavalry: Green Glengarry.
                      6. Reserve Cavalry: Green Glengarry with green band (open to correction by the donkey wholloper's)
                      7. ARW: bottle green.

Or do you think we should just copy the brits?
                      No I don't think we should copy the brits, what I was getting at is that if you have an infantryman , a signaller and an artillery gunner all sstanding beside each other in dpms they look exactly the same

Comment

I think its a good idea.
                        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

2 Cav Sqn (or more precisely now 2 Bde Cav Sqn) wear the read patch backing on their Glengarrys. None of the other PDF Sqns do. Now I would need to check A9 on this one, but I think 2 Cav Sqn were correct, and the others
                          were wrong...
                          Precisely right.A9 is quiet clear on it.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Precisely right.A9 is quiet clear on it
                            Which is all fine and grand had the Glengarry's come with the red patch!

The Black Ribbon is the mark of respect towards Collins although this remains undocumented.

I agree with the principle of the different colours of Beret but given the situation around peakers on ceremonial and mixed GOH what would be the identifier?
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Whats the point in different berrets?

You know the PAs because they are the ones waving their arms,
                              The drivers are the ines in the vehicles,
                              The CIS or orher comspers have a radio strpped to their back
                              The arty boys are with their guns
                              The cav and ARW like to be special with the Glengarry, tradition and all that, lets not worry about if it is merited.

Surely a uniformed GOH should be uniform. There should be no difference between those on parade.

Apart from the brits do other armys do this?

Comment

Working...
                              X