New Personal Defence Weapon Rounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Personal Defence Weapon Rounds

Would a 4.6mm pistol round not be extremely puny?

Originally posted by FCA Trooper
    If it puts an extra hole in your body... its irrelevant.

Regards etc
    Support the Search Function.

Comment

well the Germans think the 4.6mm round is good enough to do the job their military is taking it into service and a couple of foreign police and military's as well
      Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

Comment

Got details of those mutter nutter?
        With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Comment

The Swiss special forces fernspah are buying the mp-7 as well as the police swat team from the Ticino Canton, Pakistan is taken an unknown but thought to be large number of mp-7s.
          Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

I know that the 5.7mm was capable of penetrating certain types of standard body armour,due to the design of the round,which is similar to a pointed rifle round,instead of the rounded pistol projectile we are used to.

5.7mm as used in the FN 5-7 pistol.

4.6mm

9mm Parabellum(as used in the current pistol.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

so Gf do you think the 4.6mm round is a good practical round your self

Comment

I have only fired 9mm and .38 I really cant say.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by FCA Trooper
                  By that reckoning so is a 5.56mm round which would only be marginally bigger in diameter. It's not just diameter, you also have to take into account total mass of projectile and the charge that is firing it, among other factors.

Just look at the difference in effect between a .22 cal and a NATO 5.56mm, same nominal diameter, very different effect.
                  Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

i know that the 4.6mm is only slightly smaller in diameter than the 5.56mm,but the charge behind it is considerably smaller. this is a pistol round we're talking about,not a rifle round.

Comment

4.6x30 and 5.7x28 will have more armour pierceing potential than a 9mm, but less knockdown power.

Short barrels as found in pistols and SMGs will limit their muzzle velocities, the bullets themselves being light, this will limit kinetic energy. Also, in military applications, they'll have to use FMJ bullets, which will not help their terminal performance.

Incidentally a somewhat more powerful cousin of 4.6x30 is .17Rem, and .22Hornet should perform similar to 5.7.28 - both of these are very common rounds used in this country on foxes, but with hollow/soft point ammuniton, from rifle length barrels.

If you google this subject there's loads of information out there.
                      With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Comment

Working...
                      X