Body armour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
    Yeah, most recently on the range last weekend. Its heavy and limits your movements alright. But I have nothing to compare it to except for the old-fashioned flack jacket. What else is on the market with the same or better ballistic protection? I really have no frame of reference to judge how good or bad they are. Educate me!
    You're right, it's pants... And that's all I'll say due to OPSEC.

Comment

My ears stick out. I have to tape them back to get the poxy thing on.
      Weight wise it doesnt bother me too much once its secure, also conveniently, its nice and toasty in warm weather.
      the way forward IMO is this:
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by Narl View Post
        Just looking at the current layout for the body armour for the defence forces, I am aware the armour is UN based and has the sky blue colour, does anyone else think this is a bad idea reason being is if you want to attack a soldier the only thing you need to do is avoid the blue body armour, it is a dead giveaway, I think personally it should be more camo coloured so it blends in better than just have a big blue target on your chest.
        to be fair Narl - we're all trained to aim for the 'central mass' in one way or another to ensure the highest possibility of a 'hit', and even low level insurgents who haven't been trained at all will instinctively aim for the same place to be most likely to hit their target.

being able to choose which part of the body to shoot is not really feasible except for snipers / sharpshooters against a static target.

that said, as we have learned through experience whilst the enemy does often use 'dedicated marksmen' or anyone who is decent shot to try aim for head or even side shots etc.. in general this is in the minority of shooting instances.

i see the advantage of blue body armour / helmet in distinguishing the soldier as being a UN Peacekeeper outweighing the disadvantage of being able to distinguish which parts of the soldiers body are unprotected by such blue body armour/ helmet.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          My ears stick out. I have to tape them back to get the poxy thing on.
          Weight wise it doesnt bother me too much once its secure, also conveniently, its nice and toasty in warm weather.
          the way forward IMO is this:
          http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/gen..._Booklet-R.pdf
          There is added protection in Osprey due to the extra plates and extra protection (was about to ask how a rifle is fired with all the shoulder protection but I see the butt holder on the right shoulder (although it looks a little high) - excellent)

But it means that no matter what your doing if you want to be good to go (say in our classic patrol harbour situation) you need to wear body armour at all times as it is basically also your battlevest.

The battlevest has the advantage of the map and TAMs pockets

Comment

if I had my way I would redesign our GSBA to include a quick release system to allow medics to remove the front of the armour while maintaining a casualty in the C-spine posture.As it is you have to cut the damn thing off.I have seen this happen twice and once done the GSBA is U/S.
            Also I would add a limited amount of MOLLE to the cover to allow the likes of drivers to attach an ammo pouch or a pistol holster and maybe a trauma kit on the other side.I would also make the neck protector carriers removable.
            Finally issue everybody two covers.one on the GSBA.The other in laundry or your locker.No fun having only one cover on a tactical course.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Sounds like this discussion could have several different outcomes, which is really good, everyone has different ideas on how body armour should be, I certainly like the idea of the molle, slightly more bulky but you have everything at your dispoal.

Thank you all for taking part in the discussion, it would be interesting on what possible ideas the UN may have on this.

Comment

Possible idea,s the UN have on this subject �� now that's a good one..
                As for our gear most likely designed with the media in mind not troops
                Pdf on ops and training wear them now full time

Comment

It was SOPs to remove for route march etc... has it changed?

Comment

Depends on who you are dealing with.Some training institutions had some mad ideas when the GSBA first went on issue,insisting that it was worn all the time including on insertion and extraction marches whilst carrying full CEMO. Cue injuries and backpack palsy.
                    The draft TI that was released in 2008 stated that you would not wear GSBA when carrying CEMO but as it was never signed off you cant use it as an official reference.
                    In practice most training institutes now advocate carrying the GSBA in the bergen when marching.You get to your destination ,ditch the bergen and then put on the armour.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Tbh you wear what your told to wear, it all depends but 95% of the time you will be in gsba . It probably weights 13 kg,s give or take then you have the rest I your kit, makes for nice days out all round

Comment

So according to the crusty TDs in the dail, it seems some people have a problem handling Israeli made kit. I presume they don't like wearing the Rabintex either. What do they wear instead? My missus can knit a nice mohair blanket for them....
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X