No announcement yet.

The DF on Telly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this nonsense, the ones who shout at ya are worst. See: Royal Marines mountain leaders

Comment

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Comment

Two consecutive nights?The killed themselves
        Think of any recent show our cousins have done about their recruits.The first episode alone is just about induction!
        The crew filmed alot of footage of 47 Inf Gp MRE.The idea being to show the "end product" after training and were supposed to spend some time with the troops out in the Leb.I wonder will that make it into episode two?
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Nothing new there. Some years ago when Eithne went to South America a film crew was aboard, filming the happenings during the trip. Nobody picked it up but some of the footage captured made it as far as a short documentary "the navy" which was in production round the same time.
          Once RTE have rights to the footage, they can do with it whatever they want. Most of the time it ends up in a bin somewhere, to be rolled out again on a "reeling in the years" type show in years to come.

If it were up to me, the recruit training alone is not enough to keep a civvy audience interested. It needs to be part of a broader series about the defence forces. Such as:
          Here is Johnny Redarse, Mary Hairnet Joan Gaahead and Victor Rupert. 2 are going to commence recruit training, one Army, One Navy, while the other 2 are starting in the cadet school, one army and one flying club.
          Johnny Is army Barmy, his da was a CS, His ma is Nigerian and his granddad once shared a bedsit with Michael Collins. He is joining the Navy.
          Mary is joining the army because she is the best shot at her gun club in ballygobackwards. Her dad doesn't want her to join because he needs her to drive the Silage harvester.
          Joan is a county footballer who didn't get PE Teaching at Mary I, took a year out, joined the RDF and has now decided the Life of an army osifer is for her.
          Victor is from Wexford, has No military background whatsoever but already has a PPL and a BMW. He plays rugby for Clongowes.
          We follow their progress from induction through training, while at the same time cutting to the Army overseas, the Navy Overseas, and the Air Corps over water....
          Throw in a bit of history of the services to give a broader picture, and then sell it to Discovery Nat GEO or C4.
          RTE/TVG/UTV Ireland can buy in to it.
          If they can get 2 seasons of 30 minute episodes about firemen in Dublin, I don't see how they could not manage an 8 part on the Defence Forces.
          Then they can show it every summer on sunday mornings for many years.

You just need the right production company, the right audience, and most importantly, characters that the viewer will empathise with.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

I'd be interested to see the actual DF press office in conjunction with a production company actually make a proper documentary. I know anything the DF press office makes is more boring than watching paint dry but surely with some input from professionals they can make it fairly interesting.

It would make a change from the usual Soldier standing in front of Mowag giving a fictional account of their day to day job.

Likewise it would be a much more informed documentary than anything RTE produces with units mixed up, wrong ranks given and false information.

Anyone ever see 'Ears open, eyeballs click'?
            To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

To be fair some of the best exposure the DF has seen recently on TV has been on Operation Transformation. Lots of gopro footage, not much overchat, plenty of action. Surely it makes itself.

Comment

I sometimes get the feeling the DF is happier giving access at the basic overview level, than allowing a documentary to see some the tastier and more interesting stuff they get up to.

Offering a deeper insight into communications/IT, engineering, and yes even the warry stuff e.g. snipers, would seem to be a good way of attracting the right kind of people (and no doubt some walts too).

Comment

If anything, the reality would deter most walts.

Comment

Only thing RTE do well are the rose of Tralee and current affairs, There attempts at documentaries, is at the best of times the work of time serving amateurs compared to say Channel 4 or the BBC, who have poached any decent talent out of the place,
                    Last edited by sofa; 18 August 2015, 21:29.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                      Only thing RTE do well are the rose of Tralee and current affairs, There attempts at documentaries, is at the best of times the work of time serving amateurs compared to say Channel 4 or the BBC, who have poached any decent talent out of the place,
                      Really, poached the decent talent-
                      I can't remember ever seeing Sharon NI B or Evan NI C on Channel 4.
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                        There attempts at documentaries, is at the best of times the work of time serving amateurs compared to say Channel 4 or the BBC
                        Documentaries by the BBC and Channel 4 are often commissioned from and produced by independent production companies. Esp. in Channel 4's case it works.
                        Last edited by Orion; 18 August 2015, 22:15.

Comment

RTE cannot do current affairs. It is renownedly bad at detailed analysis and much prefers highlights of "something something crisis"
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I got filmed through basic training for some TV show I never got to see. It was a proper ball ache. Especially when the producer wanted to do a shot where we're all lined up on the ground doing press ups, and then has the cameraman panning along the Troop as we collectively push the earth down. This wouldn't normally be a problem, except the cameraman decides to stop at the Troop biff as he struggles to lift himself off the floor. Problem is, the cameraman hasn't panned past me yet, so I'm now trying to pace myself now so that when the camera comes to me I'm banging the reps out with perfect form rather than looking like the trembling mess that I really was by that stage.

So if anyone saw a programme about British Army recruits in ATR Bassingbourn around 2000, that was probably me in it.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                              I got filmed through basic training for some TV show I never got to see. It was a proper ball ache. Especially when the producer wanted to do a shot where we're all lined up on the ground doing press ups, and then has the cameraman panning along the Troop as we collectively push the earth down. This wouldn't normally be a problem, except the cameraman decides to stop at the Troop biff as he struggles to lift himself off the floor. Problem is, the cameraman hasn't panned past me yet, so I'm now trying to pace myself now so that when the camera comes to me I'm banging the reps out with perfect form rather than looking like the trembling mess that I really was by that stage.

So if anyone saw a programme about British Army recruits in ATR Bassingbourn around 2000, that was probably me in it.
                              That wasn't called "Soldiers to Be" by any chance, was it?
                              If at first you don't succeed, then call in an airstrike.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                It is amazing how a platoon getting shouted out a lot (to help motivate them) switches off.... whisper is a few ears (no threats or anything just motivation) and watch them switch on
                                But how do the tell the Ma.." ..it was sheer hell Ma..I was whispered at " !!

Comment

Working...
                                X