No announcement yet.

Morale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, attendance is directly related to morale, and attendance is through the floor. FTT this year should have been a Coy on the ground, we have 11 people signed up for it. Only 4 are Ptes.

The fault lies with the leadership and lack there of. Unfortunately, we're led by those who are more concerned with seeking the approval of those above them than that of those below. Which is a shame, because if those in charge achieved the latter, then approval from above would be quickly forthcoming, attendance would be up, and the unit could function.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
      For me, attendance is directly related to morale, and attendance is through the floor. FTT this year should have been a Coy on the ground, we have 11 people signed up for it. Only 4 are Ptes.

The fault lies with the leadership and lack there of. Unfortunately, we're led by those who are more concerned with seeking the approval of those above them than that of those below. Which is a shame, because if those in charge achieved the latter, then approval from above would be quickly forthcoming, attendance would be up, and the unit could function.
      It does and it doesn't.

Do you have a full coy on the effective list (would probably be the only 1 in the RDF?)

The financial reality is a low may not be able to afford it.

Is there people who did courses etc?

To be honest, I would gauge morale against the unpaid training

Comment

DeV, I'm talking about attendance across the board, field days, training evenings, man days, experiential training etc. I used FTT as an illustrative point as it would normally be the highest attended event in the year.

We're at less than 50% strength and very top heavy.

Leadership is the problem. Fact. There is no visible chain of command. No ORBAT in effect. No visible training plan or objectives. Ask any 3* who their section commander, Platoon Sgt, or OC is and you'll get a blank face looking back at you. All that could be resolved for the sake of someone in a leadership position engaging with the troops, instituting the necessary structures and building enthusiasm to achieve collective goals.

Comment

Nail hit on the head - this is why I now find better things to do with my free time!

Comment

I spent last week asking each of the privates in attendance to text me with their email addresses and told them that im now their section commander.
            Were in a remote location and need to travel to location B every couple of weeks to access weapons, they are somewhat unhappy with how we lately dont get much access to weapons and we decided to address this , this week...
            fast forward 7 days, weve put together a rifle instruction course tonight in our barracks with range instructor qualified RDF NCO and guess what? I texted them with timings and already 3 have pulled out. Go figure, at least they all SHOULD know who their section commander is, unlike S&S's shambolic crowd of miscreants
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

You see, I fully appreciate that not everyone can make every parade night, so if an NCO can account for the absence that would be a satisfactory outcome for me. But not having the first clue where your troops are or who's in charge is simply unforgivable.

Comment

You also need NCOs to parade who arent tasked with "other" duties.
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

S&S you know my feeling, here we are back tonight and i can only assume it will be the standard cycle of learning. Corps ex was probably the most interesting in my career, got out with some of our permanent colleagues from all Services (the navy lads had the bants tbh).

I learned some good things and some interesting work ethic. Personally my Moral is low and interest waivering, Courses cancelled at the last minute low attendance, clusterf**k of recruitment campaigns etc.... I can gaurentee who will be on the Detachment for Support Services for Brigade Ex, Shoots and All Army. Same faces all the time.
                  Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                  Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

DeV, I'm talking about attendance across the board, field days, training evenings, man days, experiential training etc. I used FTT as an illustrative point as it would normally be the highest attended event in the year.

We're at less than 50% strength and very top heavy.
                    So not expecting a coy on the ground then

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                    I spent last week asking each of the privates in attendance to text me with their email addresses and told them that im now their section commander.
                    Were in a remote location and need to travel to location B every couple of weeks to access weapons, they are somewhat unhappy with how we lately dont get much access to weapons and we decided to address this , this week...
                    fast forward 7 days, weve put together a rifle instruction course tonight in our barracks with range instructor qualified RDF NCO and guess what? I texted them with timings and already 3 have pulled out. Go figure, at least they all SHOULD know who their section commander is, unlike S&S's shambolic crowd of miscreants
                    Late notice but you've tried

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      So not expecting a coy on the ground then
                      The Coy would be drawn across the three RDF Coys in the Bn.

Comment

The Coy would be drawn across the three RDF Coys in the Bn.
                        each of which is operating at well below platoon strength (in size only as that foigure includes all NCOs and officers in attendance regularly)

Comment

Working...
                        X