Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Barracks Should Close Next? (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

The only people who want Dublin Port to move is those who want the land…. ie developer Johnny Ronan

and if you think that he wants it for social and affordable housing …
    And who do you think the Government/LDA is going to get to build this affordable and social housing in CBB, and as for affordable from what I have seen in london, it wont be as affordable as what SF/PBP thinks it will be!

Anyway, if the government was serious about this project of funding a rebuild of state property on green belt and building housing on the city centre land, then why don''t they first do it at the near mirror image site, north of the liffey. I mean they already have the land and plans for the Mountjoy replacement at Thorton Hall????
    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
    It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

What about all the golf clubs within the M50? Can we not build houses on them first?
      There’s the solution - turn CBB into a golf club! Then tell the Greens it’s full of wildlife…
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Looking at big picture, taking a map of Ireland, and looking at training requirements, manning requirements and the availability (or room to provide) affordable housing and schools, where would be the best places to put DF bases, both main and secondary?

Have a five to ten year plan to build them, relocate to them, and then return what’s now superfluous to the government.

It would have been done in the lifetime of this thread.
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
          it’s full of wildlife…
          7th BN have been called worse

What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Worth bearing in mind when we are talking a green field barracks site, from a military perspective a remoter site means you have a greater chance of having ranges, training areas etc on your doorstep, could have a negative impact on retention

Comment

• There is nowhere I can think of within the metro Dublin region that could have a gallery rifle range and the space for a barracks , I mean Kilpedder was sold
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Baldonnel?
                When the brits were still in Hong Kong they had a gallery range on Stonecutters Island. Surprised we have not seen more like it since. Designed to prevent any loose or stray round going outside the range environs

For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• not in the don you'd never get a safety template
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• If its just for zeroing weapons a pipe range would suffice, or for training proper an underground range such as the PSNI facility at Garnerville. When I trained there (30 odd years ago) we live fired H&K MP5's on those ranges.
                    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

• Won’t be getting land at the Mint anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        not in the don you'd never get a safety template
                        No shortage of USAF airfields with onsite ranges. A safe, semi-enclosed range is not hard to do, especially for pistols and sub-machine guns.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post

No shortage of USAF airfields with onsite ranges. A safe, semi-enclosed range is not hard to do, especially for pistols and sub-machine guns.
                          Considering many barracks in the country at one time had ranges within the walls, it shouldn't be a massive issue.
                          What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• As a recruit in the FCA my first time to use a firearm was in 1970 on an indoor range in Griffith Barracks. It was a Lee Enfield modified to fire .22

Later in the 70's while serving in the PDF I fired the BAP on a range in McKee Barracks. This range closed in the 80's.

Ranges within Barracks existed in the past ,
                            it could happen again if the need existed and they were built to comply with modern Health and Safety standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by B Inman View Post
                              As a recruit in the FCA my first time to use a firearm was in 1970 on an indoor range in Griffith Barracks. It was a Lee Enfield modified to fire .22

Later in the 70's while serving in the PDF I fired the BAP on a range in McKee Barracks. This range closed in the 80's.

Ranges within Barracks existed in the past ,
                              it could happen again if the need existed and they were built to comply with modern Health and Safety standards.

There are numerous modern H&S friendly ranges being built around the country. The first one I saw was in 1992 in the then renovated Garda College, Templemore. (I believe it's gone since). The Naval Base has one for at least a decade now, within literal earshot of the Flag Officers office, and it causes no issues, (except when the wind blows a certain way, and the Natives in Cobh Hear it, and complain).
                              You still need open spaces for the full rifle & gpmg table though, These cannot be done with miniature or pistol ranges.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• There is already a 25m firing range in Baldonnel. As well as ones inside the barracks walls of Finner, Gormo, Renmore and Haulbowline.
                                Noise danger areas are the limiting factor in having one in areas with other people about.

Comment

Working...
                                X