Recce Platoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recce Platoon

Hopefully this is not a violation of the official secrets act but does each reserve infantry Bn have a recce or scout pl within its org? Would someone interested in this type of work be better off in the cav?
    When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
    All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

No thats not against the offical secrets act. The sad reality is, is that they don't. They are not trained to PDF standard in this regard.
    There are no snipers in the reserves or recce platoons or pioneer platoons. I hope this will change with the re-org.

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

No Actually, there is a recce platoon( or section or something) in each Battalion of the RDF on paper, but in reality it is non existant. Just like the companies are full strenght on paper but only platoon strenght in reality.

Comment

Docman are you sure you are not mixing up the structure of a PDF Bn to the structure of an FCA Bn. We are still set up in the old formation.

Comment

I am reading it from a publication that is older than I am, refering to the FCA.

Comment

as far as i know, in the new proposed organisation, an infantry battalion has a HQ coy, a number of infantry companies and a support coy. I know this because we were already told which coy we form in the new org.

Apparently, a lot of admin functions will be done by the HQ coy, to make up for loss of cadre staff. I would suppose that recce platoon would form part of the support coy organisation.

Comment

As far as I know troops aren't trained in any form of reece in the RDF, therefore one could say that they don't have this function.
                Albeit the armoured units may well be?

Comment

I believe( I of course may be wrong) that one of the roles of cav is to provide recon and counter the same for the brigade.

Comment

Yep ! Primary role of a cavalry squadron is recce for brigade.having operated as a recce section commander during the PSOs for the past couple of years I have to say its a very interesting role.

You are required to act at many rank levels above your own in your thinking and situation evaluation and all of this has to be done at speed. the whole car crew need to be involved as the work load is far too great for any one individual.

It makes it more interesting for the junior guys in a vehicle as their input is now very much required ie signals .......navigating .....situation evaluation......

While the role of the cav is being down graded ...the recce job is a great way to actually put the theory into practise.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by The Thing
                      As far as I know troops aren't trained in any form of reece in the RDF, therefore one could say that they don't have this function.
                      There are a lot of things we don't always receive training for, doesn't mean that we shouldn't have that function - NBC, FIBUA, etc. Some units may have got the training but by and large most units have not. Recce training is another.

Comment

Originally posted by: The Thing

Recce is a Basic Infantry Skill for all Leaders from CPL up to Comdt. You do a Recce in your Section in Attack. All Cpl's should be able to lead a Recce Patrol and do Recce's when occupying OP's. A Pl Commander does a Recce when sighting a Patrol Base. A Coy Commander does one when laying a Coy on the ground.

Otherwise there is no need for a Recce "unit" until you get to Bn level even then it will probably call for a certain Pl from one Company to carry out a recce of a certain area.

Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

There is a Recce course held at ITC Warminster in England. It is an infantry based cadre which involves the use of the warrior armoured vehicle. The recce platoon is part of the fire support company also included in this company is the Mortar platoon, Milan platoon and Pioneer platoon -construction/demolition tasks -.

Comment

Ok then Bailer, then every soldier has been trained to a recce standard if you count the role of the scout as recce.
                            What we are talking about is a recce formation unit ie:support unit recce roles to which the RDF have not been trained, no pioneers, no snipers, no recce end of story.
                            PS if you know of infantry units in the Reserve that have support company's trained to this level, please tell everyone.

Comment

Bailer, what you are referring to is known as the leaders recon in the US.Just as you state all tactical leaders should/must have the ability to conduct a recon before most ops-its in the troop leading procedures and the 5 principals of patrolling.I was originally asking if the RDF inf bttn has an integral recce ply and apparently the imalgimated reserve after the re-org will.

Comment

Working...
                              X