Clear All

• DeV
    replied
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...79942?mode=amp

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    Two 'former US soldiers' arrested after Shannon Airport security breach
    Two people, believed to be former US soldiers, have been arrested at Shannon Airport following a security breach this morning.
    It is understood the pair had breached the airport perimeter in an attempt to reach a civilian aircraft used to transport troops for the US military. The Omni Air International jet was parked at the terminal building at the time.
    A spokesperson for Shannon Airport confirmed: “Two intruders were apprehended on the Shannon Airport airfield at approximately 10.25am. They were intercepted and detained within five minutes and taken into Garda custody.”
    The pair, who did not reach the aircraft, were spotted at around 10.30am by gardaí and Airport Police officers. They were quickly detained and taken to Shannon garda station for questioning.
    Just one arriving flight was delayed for a time following the security incident. The inbound cargo flight was placed in a holding pattern for a short time before being cleared to land about 40 minutes after the breach was detected.
    Operations at Shannon were otherwise unaffected by the breach.
    A Garda spokesman confirmed that two people have been arrested and are being questioned at Shannon Garda station.
    The two are believed to be part of a group called US Veterans for Peace who are visiting Ireland giving talks and highlighting their opposition to the use of Shannon Airport as a refuelling stop for US military flights.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ch-911534.html

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    Originally posted by danno View Post
    Grabbing a 71 yo cant have been a big gig.
    He wasn't the one who tried it on.His buddy on the other hand.....(After two verbal warnings.Now he knows the DF are NOT the Gardai)

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    This is the current upshot;

http://clareherald.com/2017/04/two-d...-breach-71724/

I think one of them does letters regularly in the press re the DF etc. Leaving the rights and wrongs of what happened to one side as the as the matter is before the courts I reckon indulging in a blame game is missing the point entirely as the alleged incursionists carried off their "mission" successfully and the defences were found wanting and seemed to be easily penetrated. I hope nobody tries to make a virtue of the subsequent detention of the alleged intruders to gloss over the collective security failure.
    His own military career was surprisingly controversial, and makes his current behaviour all the more hypocritical. He handed back his medals. Not so sure if he handed back his pension. 1st Armoured Cav remain ashamed to have had him as a CO.

Leave a comment:

• Flamingo
    replied
    Funny how none of the protesters want to damage/search the sizeable number of Russian aircraft that pass through...

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    And there will no doubt be a diplomatic note

Leave a comment:

• danno
    replied
    This is the current upshot;

http://clareherald.com/2017/04/two-d...-breach-71724/

I think one of them does letters regularly in the press re the DF etc. Leaving the rights and wrongs of what happened to one side as the as the matter is before the courts I reckon indulging in a blame game is missing the point entirely as the alleged incursionists carried off their "mission" successfully and the defences were found wanting and seemed to be easily penetrated. I hope nobody tries to make a virtue of the subsequent detention of the alleged intruders to gloss over the collective security failure.

Leave a comment:

• paul g
    replied
    Grabbing a 70yo cant have been a big gig.
    The key thing would be as apod said doing so with the minimum of force, otherwise he would be a maryter, and lieut Gruber would be only too happy to pontificate about beibg tortured at lenght.
    Last edited by paul g; 29 April 2017, 08:25.

Leave a comment:

• danno
    replied
    Grabbing a 71 yo cant have been a big gig.
    Last edited by danno; 29 April 2017, 11:23. Reason: accuracy

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    Originally posted by apod View Post
    The only possible slip up is manning levels.Which is function of management.More bodies deployed would mean more "eyes on" at any one time.However as I said before the job of watching the aircraft is the Gardai's. The slip up is theirs.
    Couldn't agree more with the first part and happy to take your word on the latter without knowing the finer details.

Leave a comment:

• na grohmiti
    replied
    From my own viewpoint, the failing lies with APO, and to a certain extent the DAA. The fenceline should be impregnable to everythng but the smallest rodent. That is international practice. If you start walking airside on any international airport then the security status of the airport wil be downgraded and airlines will pull out, sharpish. There was an incursion some years ago in ORK, which became infamous with the attempts to stop the trespasser gaining many hits on youtube etc. Cork Airport APO and management learnt from it, and improved the fencing to the extent you can literally not get a tank airside any more without breaking down a gate. People loitering at the fence at any part of the field quickly get a visit from one of the many APO vehicles patrolling the perimeter. It has made the airport a no-go zone for aircraft spotters, which is a small price to pay for airfield security.
    This incident is only a few short months since pink shirt builder TD and his concubine climbed the fence on the northern side and made their way to security personell on the field in SNN. Ths should have been a major wake up call for the DAA that the current security was insufficient for the threat of incursion.

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
    Hi Apod, I am definitely in category B and don't envy those in category A who have to endure months of boredom before the next gobshite arrives. However I am more than familiar with the location.

If it's your opinion that there is not even a minor DF slip up when two protesters manage to gain access to parked foreign military aircraft under their noses in a secure location, I will happily bow to your first hand experience.
    The only possible slip up is manning levels.Which is function of management.More bodies deployed would mean more "eyes on" at any one time.However as I said before the job of watching the aircraft is the Gardai's. The slip up is theirs.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    As I said JJ, the DF are not there to protect the aircraft, the airport or anything else.

That is not their role or job

Leave a comment:

• Jetjock
    replied
    Hi Apod, I am definitely in category B and don't envy those in category A who have to endure months of boredom before the next gobshite arrives. However I am more than familiar with the location.

If it's your opinion that there is not even a minor DF slip up when two protesters manage to gain access to parked foreign military aircraft under their noses in a secure location, I will happily bow to your first hand experience.

Leave a comment:

• apod
    replied
    JJ have you done security duty out at the airport.Yes or no?
    Yes: I will accept your criticism.
    No: then you don't know what you are talking about and are being a hurler on the ditch.

There were faults and failings.NONE.I say again, NONE of which are the DF's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X